• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Thoughts On The Kraven's Last Hunt!

33 posts in this topic

Kraven was one of my two or three favorite villians as a kid, so I didn't appreciate them killing him off. Did he ever return? I have not read a Spidey since Todd started the new title.

Everyone comes back in one way or another. That's why "The Death Of" issues never impress me any more.

Kraven was one of my two or three favorite villians as a kid, so I didn't appreciate them killing him off. Did he ever return? I have not read a Spidey since Todd started the new title.
I'm not sure about this but I think the death was held for years, I think his son took over as "Kraven" for years and then the recent ASM issues (Grim Hunt) resurrected him.

Soul of the Hunter was the only appearance while "dead", that was good.

Was originally a Batman story but DC nixed it. I still think it's great.

Really? You got any details? I wonder which villain would have played Kraven's part?

Hugo Strange according to this book.

Good book. (thumbs u

Ther's a Fantastic Four version as well, for those interested. :gossip:

Was it powerful character study which lead the reader on an unerving trip into the troubled mind of Kraven The Hunter.

Or

A calculated attempt by Marvel to court controversy and generate big sales figures.

hm

Psychoanalytical stories were Dematteis' forte, he did quite a few decent ones in his career, and so I don't think it was just cynical marketing.

It was the kind of dark and intense story I enjoy, with great artwork. (thumbs u

I think it means something more or less to people depending on when they first read it and what age they were.

I was 13 when that story started, and I had never read anything quite like before. The fact that someone was even able to capture and bury Spider-man, but then to kill himself, that just blew me away. Honestly I was shocked for probably months, and after that I wanted to know everything about Kraven (realize please that I really knew very little about any of Spidey's villians except Hobgoblin who was included in nearly the previous 3 years of stories). I only knew what I had purchased from the corner store, I had never read the Ditko issues or even the death of Gwen at that point.

I have gone back to re-read it many times, and although I still like it, I would agree with a former poster about the Sin-Eater stories in Spectacular Spider-man being more shocking and kept me coming back (because you had no idea who he'd kill next). For my money the Daredevil storyline where Karen Page sells Matt's identity to the Kingpin is better, but very few things have affected me the way Kraven't last hunt did way back in my early teens.

Jay

I really enjoyed the Kraven storyline when I first read it however in terms of best work, it would be a toss up for me between Zeck's Spider-Man work and his Captain America work.

ca286.jpg

I don't understand that cover. Is the scope somehow in the barrel of the gun? Or is that just artistic license in an effort to show who's in the cross-hairs?

Oh, as for Kraven's Last Hunt, I thought it was fantastic. Read it over and over as a kid. I re-read it last year, and enjoyed it again. As others have said, though, it's not quite as powerful. With comics getting darker and darker, this type of storytelling is a bit old hat now. But at the time, for me, it was groundbreaking.

According to Back Issue #35, DeMattis wanted to do a hero coming back from the grave storyline for quite some time. He first pitched the idea for a Wonder Man story with the Grim Reaper as the villian. Marvel passed. Then he developed it for Batman with the villian being the Joker. Once Batman is buried and out of commision, the Joker snaps and becomes sane. When Batman emerges from the grave, he reverts back to his devious ways. That was rejected because DC had The Killing Joke in development. It then became a Spider-Man story and history is made.

They actually did this story in a Batman book (I think the ongoing Dark Knight series) and it was excellent. Joker thinks he killed Batman and that snaps him sane for like a 4 issue arc. It was a good story from what I can remember 20+ years later. And I believe that DeMatteis wrote it.

They actually did this story in a Batman book (I think the ongoing Dark Knight series) and it was excellent. Joker thinks he killed Batman and that snaps him sane for like a 4 issue arc. It was a good story from what I can remember 20+ years later. And I believe that DeMatteis wrote it.

Thanks for the info! Gonna see if I can locate these issues.