• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone tell me what Spiderman book this is from

12 posts in this topic

Its a back up story about a homeless girl who is a Spiderman fan. I forget all the details, but she dreams that she is friends with Spidey and he takes he swinging around town. Story ends with her freezing to death.

Google "spider-man homeless girl" and it links to a Wikipedia entry containing this:

A Spider-Man short story titled "Leah" about a homeless little girl who goes into a coma and is found by Spider-Man, the doctors inform Spider-Man she won't make it, as Spidey kisses Leah on the cheek he wishes her "sweet, sweet dreams"; Leah falls asleep looking at newspaper clippings of Spider-Man mirroring the girls death while looking into the matches. The story was originally in the Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man Annual #1.

http://www.spidermancrawlspace.com/friendly/page2.htm

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man Annual #1

The Story: A homeless girl sits alone in an alley, snow falling down. She is kept partially warm by her tattered clothes and a Daily Bugle featuring a pic of Spidey fighting Electro.

Suddenly, she spies Spider-Man and the Vulture fighting a few stories up and her eyes widen, filled with joy. The battle goes elsewhere and she returns to a cardboard box, the inside decorated with paper hearts and hundreds of Spidey newspaper clippings. She “kisses” the cheek of a Spidey portrait before going to sleep. She wakes up, Spider-Man waiting though. He whisks her away, swinging around town, being yelled at by J.J.J., and ruling the skyscrapers with Thor and Iron Man.

The first words are spoken through a caption box, “Liver failed and the kidneys followed.” Sadly, it was all a dream. Spider-Man and a doctor are talking about how he might’ve been able to save her since he goes by the alley all the time, the girl in a hospital bed. Knowing there’s nothing they can do to save her, Spidey gives her a kiss on the cheek. Even though her eyes are closed, her hand find her face and touches the spot of the kiss.

In the last panel, Leah is soaring with Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel, the Silver Surfer, and many others, over the ocean and into the sunset.

The Story: A homeless girl sits alone in an alley, snow falling down. She is kept partially warm by her tattered clothes and a Daily Bugle featuring a pic of Spidey fighting Electro.

Suddenly, she spies Spider-Man and the Vulture fighting a few stories up and her eyes widen, filled with joy. The battle goes elsewhere and she returns to a cardboard box, the inside decorated with paper hearts and hundreds of Spidey newspaper clippings. She “kisses” the cheek of a Spidey portrait before going to sleep. She wakes up, Spider-Man waiting though. He whisks her away, swinging around town, being yelled at by J.J.J., and ruling the skyscrapers with Thor and Iron Man.

The first words are spoken through a caption box, “Liver failed and the kidneys followed.” Sadly, it was all a dream. Spider-Man and a doctor are talking about how he might’ve been able to save her since he goes by the alley all the time, the girl in a hospital bed. Knowing there’s nothing they can do to save her, Spidey gives her a kiss on the cheek. Even though her eyes are closed, her hand find her face and touches the spot of the kiss.

In the last panel, Leah is soaring with Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel, the Silver Surfer, and many others, over the ocean and into the sunset.

That almost made me cry. Seriously. :cry:

That almost made me cry. Seriously. :cry:

It was a very nice story. :foryou:

It was one of the most moving stories I've read in a comic. So much better than "The kid who collected Spider-Man".

Thanks.

No way.

It was cool, but "The kid who collected Spider-Man" was more powerful.

Different strokes and all that nonsense.

@shadroch

I wrote about this last year... I just cut and pasted it from last year's post.  See if you have this laying around. 

On 5/21/2019 at 8:25 AM, Buzzetta said:

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man #6 (Legacy #30)

When I was at the LCS a couple of weeks ago, (I go once every 1.5-2 months) someone came in specifically asking for this book.  I thought it was an odd choice so I picked up a copy. As soon as I read it, I picked a copy up. 

Synopsis

Hide contents

The story opens as we are introduced to a new character named Spider-Bite who fights alongside Spider-man battling all of Spidey's rogues gallery. They banter back and forth until reality sets in and we see that we are in a hospital ward for kids with cancer.  Attendants are dressed in homemade costumes pretending to be villains as Spider-man and the kid act out the whole superhero thing.  When it's time for Spider-man to leave, the boys parents tell him that it is time for him to rest.  The boy screams out a resounding, 'NO' and Spider-man is at first taken back by the outburst.  The parents expressing their gratitude for Spider-man spending the day with their son explain that he is not being rude but fearful about going to lay down to rest because he knows that he has few days remaining and that he is afraid that if he closes his eyes he will not be able to open them again.  Spider-man asks if the boy has a jacket?  When the parents say that he does, the reader turns the page and is treated to Spider-man webslinging through the city for real this time carrying the boy in his arms. 

The issue reminded me of the the old ASM story, "The kid who collected Spider-man" but I felt it was executed a little bit better. Pick the issue up if you get the chance.  I only pick up ASM each month and read everything else digitally at some point in the future. When I read this book in the LCS I made an exception. 

5046639.jpg