• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you think these boards are going?

58 posts in this topic

I've been off the boards for about the last month and a half due to a move and trying to wait for broadband to come to my area. Well I gave up and got dial up again(YUCK tongue.gif !!!). The last few nights I've been tring to play catch up on my feading on both coin and comic boards.

I saw Lighthouse's post and I had to reply. Most of you know I am a coin collector and a comic book reader. I've also have noticed the diffrence in the tone of the two difrent boards. Where this board tends to be geared to the topice concerning the general collector and the coin side tends to be more techinal stuff dealing with the coins and they tend to not have many collector topics. At times I find that very bothersome because are we(the coin guys) being elitest in our thinking and in doing so are we scaring away newbies and non collectors who are the future of the hobby?

There are a few reasons I can think of on the top of my head on why there are diffrent type of topics on the boards.

1) Alot of the people on the coin side came over from PCGS boards because of all the flaming and in fighting.

2) there are alot more coin discustion boards than comic boards.

3) It seems that the comic collectors are younger. Alot of the coin people forget what it is to be a newbie and tend to get frustrated at them

4)The coin collectors have been collecting longer and tend to specilise more in one or two series. As a result get two people talikng about seated dimes I would even get lost after a while because I don't collect seated dimes.

CHRIS

Anytime I read through a thread and see coin guys... I immediately go into kick mode sport002.gif b/c they have that snob appeal. There are a few coin guys who are cool, but not many. Can you say snooty? grin.gif

Rick I know your only half joking but you see my point about how it seems that they have an elitist attitude. I would hate to see a new collector going over ther and asking about statehood quarters. I belive a few of the regulars would be laughing thier heads off and making fun of what they collect. The only things that will do is stroke thier egos (the board member) and scare away a new collector. CHRIS

I'd really advise against 'killing off' any of the current categories. If I'm short of time, I'll check in to the Gold/Silver/Bronze threads. If I have time to kill, well, Comics General is the place! If anything, I'd look to subdivide the General category even more. The recent creation of the Grading area is a good move, let's see how that shakes out.

Thanks,

Z.

Is there too much banter and flaming? Too little?

Uh.......heh heh........who are you talking about Arch? smirk.gif

I think the boards are just fine the way they are. I know a lot of people complain about the "battles" that go on but I know for a FACT that a ton of people seek them out and read them because they are so damn entertaining. Just check the "Who's Online" section the next time a war is going on and you'll see what I mean. And that doesn't even show the people reading the thread in "stealth" mode.

We moved the bantering up to the Water Cooler which get's about 1 lousy post a week and most people don't even bother going up there to post. You should have seen all the people stalking around up there when the battle was going full blast. Everyone couldn't wait for the next funny post to be made. It was like everyone was slowing down to look at a car wreck, a drowning moose, and a 3 legged dog hop around on a hot skillet all at the same time. smirk.gif

Now, having said all of that, all you complainers out there better hope I don't catch you in the "box".................cause two packs of cigarettes and you're mine............just ask my new girlfriend Ricky. crazy.gif

The flaming, battles, etc. only get annoying when they cross over into the topic-specific threads. If they are confined to comics general or water cooler then go at it, but when they start to clutter up the other forums they start to be annoying and less fun.

Looking for that one coin post in the thousands of flame posts is frustrating. And look at what you did to poor Braddick. He is now MIA.

And look at what you did to poor Braddick. He is now MIA.

lol.......braddick was asking.....no.....begging for it.

In fact......out of all the punking posts I've ever made......braddick was the one that truly deserved what he got. mad.gif

Besides.....it was fun to watch Ricky chew him up and him out. smirk.gif

When I think back on it I get this mental picture of Braddick walking down a dark alley. One foe in front of him ready to do battle when suddenly from the rooftops, behind dumpsters, out of sewers a swarm of comic guys start pounding him with bags of garbage, trash can lids, broken bottles and whatever else is laying around.

Suddenly, from a dimly lit window, a little man calls out, "quick, some one call Arch!" Then from above with a whoosh, comes the sound, "Arch is here to save the day! Back, back you foul legion of comic book worshipers. Back to your dominion!"

And once again, peace and tranquility was restored to NGC land grin.gif

What's a "squarm" and how do you do it? It souns like fun. smirk.gif

And here's a more true version of what happened.

braddick is alone at home on a saturday night........again......So, just for fun, he puts on a white hood and gown and paints a sign that says "White Power".......Then he decides.......just for kicks.......to take a nice leisurely stroll through Harlem.

As he's walking through a dark alley curseing at everyone he sees.......a group of noble people jump on him and start to beat the snot out of the little puke. Then, a couple of his sissy little friends (gunsmoke, etc.) happen by and start to run down the street screaming like big fat pregnent women for help. They happen on a gentleman named Arch and proceed to tattle like a bunch of 5th grade little ninnies. Arch comes along and pulls us off the bloody lifeless corpse and gives us 24 hours in the hole since the chump was asking for it.

That sounds a little more realistic. smirk.gif

Then why don't you just head back to Hobbiton and stay there and leave us to our own devices....

tsk, tsk...so angry and sensitive. I think you've been down here where subtle means using a 20-lb sledge hammer instead of a 50-lb one to hit someone over the head that you missed my sarcasm.

It is too slow upstairs. Gotta visit the downstairs neighbors to keep from getting bored.

Hey, I still think Major Khaos deserves another punking!

ANOTHER??? When are you going to deliver the FIRST one?? Wait, wait, wait, I'll tie half my brain behind my back and then maybe you'll have a better shot... all in the spirit of the season! grin.gif