• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sketch cover book grade question

64 posts in this topic

Well, let's say joe simon sketches come back in general 9.0... or whatever, then 9.8 would be more rare. So I could see it might go for more. Grade just to me doesnt mean anything with sketches.

For example... would you take a 2.0 sketch from Adam Hughes that was a full color painted cover?

Or a single figure 9.8 inked?

I would take the low grade painted sketch.

I think when comparing grades the assumption is all other things being equal. Same artist and art but with (hypothetical) different grades. I think they tend to matter less when you're talking about big names. When artists can command four figures for art done on a sheet of paper, the difference between a sketch cover being 9.2 or 9.8 becomes less of an issue.

Would you agree or disagree with my assessment, as someone who deals with the stuff?

Agreed.

Just to play devils advocate Ill disagree. Would you prefer a 9.8 Romita or an 8.5. Or a better example would be if you already owned a 9.8, would you want another 9.8 or a 9.2

Full disclosure, im drunk

Brian I hope your not working on my 9.8 Avengers blank I sent you!! lol

Thats exactly the one im working on as we speak. Blame Eton. He bought the drinks.

Ive already overworked Ares head doh!

I wonder how much a beer stain takes of the grade. Or could we call it mix media and part of the creative process. hm

Dont worry I havent got your sketch cover yet. And I drink vodka, so no visible stains :o:headbang:

i have an example. i recently bought a romita sr cap sketch. the sketch had a michael golden cap sketched on the back. the golden sketch is cool but i wish it was just the romita and nothing on the back.

when i asked why the golden was put on the back i was told. that it was because of inks on the back that brought the grade down. the second sketch was to help the grade by covering the ink.

as much as i love the art on sketch covers. as much as i love getting sketches and collecting sketches i know how much grade means like everyone else does. if you think that grade doesnt matter you are kidding yourself.