• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sketch cover book grade question

64 posts in this topic

How much does the grade of the book matter as far as sketch covers go? Isn't it really the sketch itself that is the big draw on those books? Let's say you had the exact same sketch on two different books. One is a 9.8 the other is a 9.4. Does it really matter?

Thanks in advance for the help.

This question gets asked here at least once every month, so here's the rulling:

It's all subjective to the sketch. For example, Gene Colan's sketches have been known to grade at a low 8.5-9.0 but command hundreds, if not a thousand.

But if it's someone like Jim Cheung or even Clay Mann, I'd say keep it at a 9.6 or above.

Otherwise, just collect sketches from people you like, and not sell them.

Basically the "RARER" the sketch/artist, the more likely it will retain its value, regardless of the grade.

Ok, thanks, and sorry for a repeat question.

The search engine and I don't get along very well.

I guess it doesn't really matter, they would all be for my own personal collection anyway, sometimes it is just hard to get past the 9.8 hump with modern books.

I am not a grader nor do I pretend to be one. But I have subbed sketch books that came back 9.6 and 9.8 and to my untrained eye I couldn't really tell the difference. Its all about the art to me lol

But if grade is an issue send me those 9.4 Cheungs ;)

This question gets asked here at least once every month, so here's the rulling:

It's all subjective to the sketch. For example, Gene Colan's sketches have been known to grade at a low 8.5-9.0 but command hundreds, if not a thousand.

But if it's someone like Jim Cheung or even Clay Mann, I'd say keep it at a 9.6 or above.

Otherwise, just collect sketches from people you like, and not sell them.

Basically the "RARER" the sketch/artist, the more likely it will retain its value, regardless of the grade.

Well said.

With the Joe Simon and Gene Colan's of the world, the grade does not have a significant affect on value.

For most other artists, opions vary if a collector cares about the grade or not. It does however change the market value of the book due to less people wanting the book thus less overall demand.

Some people simply don't want anything less than 9.8 or 9.6. So 9.4 and under will a lot of times go for cost or less.

you would think it should be about the art but it is also about the grade.

even when talking about artists like romita,simon,colan and people like that lower grade books may have substantial value but they are worth even more if the grade is higher.

it also depends on the buyer and seller. i know people here that the high grade only means something if they are the ones selling it. when buying they will tell you the grade doesnt mean as much. lol

But the person should care on whether or not it's going to be a pain for the artist to work on a blank through. Thats why some will only color Xmen1, Avenger 1, Marvel Project, New Avengers1, etc. & refuse to work on some blank covers especially the slick ones.

I don't care about grade on sketches.

Wait, so the sketch covers themselves, you should always try to send 9.8 blanks. But depending on the artist and what kind of art you are getting, the grade that it comes back with shouldn't matter too much. As long as the damage is done during the art process. Carelessness is uncool.

I'd say art first, grade later when it comes to sketches.

People who'd go to my house will look at the cover artwork first which is what someone would normally look at first when looking at a comic, then ask what's with the number on the upper left hand corner later on.

I'll tell them this is an original Painting by the legendary Joe Simon. The grade is just the condition of the comic but it doesn't affect the art much in anyway, not that it matters when it's Joe Simon.

Regarding value. I would not hold a higher graded Joe Simon as something more expensive than a lower graded one. I'll look at the artwork which is the one that would matter most. I've seen a Joe Simon art with a background painted with different colors which fell in 5.5 grade. I hold that as more expensive than one with no background or just a plain colored background. Just much more effort and more beautiful in my opinion. I've also seen a very clean looking Joe Simon art with bright rich colors but no color in the background. I'd hold that with more value as one with a colored background. It mostly depends on the collector's/buyer's taste.

But in any case, a Joe Simon art is a Joe Simon art, no matter the grade or what it looks like, it is a Joe Simon art. It is something that people would try and get and would not complain about the grade much. Just my opinion.

you could also pose the question as to would you like a stick figure sketch by the artist on a 9.8 or a (worship):cloud9: OMG sketch on a lower graded book (thumbs u

But if the number really bothers you you can always cover it up with an OA sticker or just ask CGC not to grade the book NG it

Baring in mind I'm a novice who's been absorbing as much information as I can....

My impression is that the grade of the comic matters considerably more (value wise) with lesser names. If Andrew Hughes does a sketch cover the price would vary little, if at all, whether it comes back 9.0 or 9.8.

But for lesser names the grade starts to become more of a factor.

Perhaps someone experienced can tell me if I'm correct on this.

all i am saying is that the numbers speak for themselves. it doesnt matter the artist if simon or anyone sketches a blank and it is a 5.0 and they put the same sketch on a blank and it is 9.8 the 9.8 will sell for more.

im just saying. i have a few small things done by simon and they are priceless to me and will never be sold for any price as long as i am alive.

My thinking when it comes to grade as an issue is:

If the lesser name artist has lots of artwork around that falls on a 9.8, then a 9.6 or lower will be unusual and might hold lesser value in the eyes of many. I mean they'll be like, why would I go for a 9.6 when there are a lot of 9.8 from the same artist with equal details / quality? A few would still go for artwork and not the grade when buying though.

Well, let's say joe simon sketches come back in general 9.0... or whatever, then 9.8 would be more rare. So I could see it might go for more. Grade just to me doesnt mean anything with sketches.

For example... would you take a 2.0 sketch from Adam Hughes that was a full color painted cover?

Or a single figure 9.8 inked?

I would take the low grade painted sketch.

Well, let's say joe simon sketches come back in general 9.0... or whatever, then 9.8 would be more rare. So I could see it might go for more. Grade just to me doesnt mean anything with sketches.

For example... would you take a 2.0 sketch from Adam Hughes that was a full color painted cover?

Or a single figure 9.8 inked?

I would take the low grade painted sketch.

I think when comparing grades the assumption is all other things being equal. Same artist and art but with (hypothetical) different grades. I think they tend to matter less when you're talking about big names. When artists can command four figures for art done on a sheet of paper, the difference between a sketch cover being 9.2 or 9.8 becomes less of an issue.

Would you agree or disagree with my assessment, as someone who deals with the stuff?