• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sketch cover book grade question

64 posts in this topic

Guest Grails

I'm surprised this is even a thought. Grade does not matter or factor in at all for my sketch covers. Its original art. CGC is just grading the canvas. I'll take a stunning painted cover in a Qualified .5 slab all day every day over an SS 9.9 sketch by the same artist. The art is for me and I've got to look at it everyday. I don't look at the number in the corner and find disappointment with the art.

Ten years ago, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. So today, some are saying that a corporation has an effect on how they view and appreciate art.

I'm surprised this is even a thought. Grade does not matter or factor in at all for my sketch covers. Its original art. CGC is just grading the canvas. I'll take a stunning painted cover in a Qualified .5 slab all day every day over an SS 9.9 sketch by the same artist. The art is for me and I've got to look at it everyday. I don't look at the number in the corner and find disappointment with the art.

Ten years ago, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. So today, some are saying that a corporation has an affect on how they view and appreciate art.

I agree. I have been saying this too.

However, this is an issue here because there is a higher percentage than normal number of 're-sellers' on this forum. Reason being the knowledge contained herein is as vast as it membership.

This is not a bad thing IMO, and though I might turn the conversation here, it is relevant. I myself am a re-seller, and I buy things some times that I perceive as an investment. A 9.8 is akin to a rare variant...

Think about it you just bought another copy of the same book, likely for a premium price. Why? Some because they want everything, and for you there is already no cure ;) Others, it is because there is some chance that book or variant will be worth something one day. We all do it, its part of collecting. And the function that those of us who buy and re-sell is to make sure as many people get what they might want, in order to inflate our own collections as well. Re-sellers will want something rare, like a variant or 9.8 sketch just because the market commands a premium.

Again, I always look to quality. Certain board members can attest, if I see something I like I message them within moments of them posting it cause I want it.... last thing I do is check a grade.

Guest Grails

I was actually just about to edit my post to include resale options before you posted. I was of course only speaking about sketch covers that you have purchased or commissioned for yourself. I completely understand and support higher grades in conjunction with the sketch for investment/resale.