• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can You Solve the Mystery Part 2...

7 posts in this topic

You guys might remember that about a year ago(when i was a newbie) I asked for help identifying some cut-outs from Golden Age comics. There were about 36, and I was able to identify all but 5 on my own. Board members were kind enough to identify 4 of those, leaving just one a mystery.

The last cut-out is of the Golden Age Daredevil. If anyone recognizes it, please let me know where it comes from. Thanks.

daredevi.jpg

I have been looking for that since your first thread. Unfortunately no luck so far...

Questions..is it from cover, what kind of paper it's printed on.

Can you see what's on the other side of that clipping. Try looking through that page against bright light. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Arty, good questions, and the answers provide a few clues.

The paper is definitely from a front or back cover. There IS an image on the back side. It's of Captain Battle. A cropped version of the same image can be seen on the top left cover of Silver Streak #12. Some letters are also visible, the "APT" of Captain, and the word "IN".

So here's my guess. These images are probably from the inside and outside BACK cover of a comic. Captain Battle appeared in Silver Streak before he got his own title in the Summer of '41. Silver Streak #12, which has the cropped version of the image on the front cover, came out in July of '41.

I think the image is from an ad announcing Captain Battle in his own title, and I think it's highly likely that the ad appeared in Silver Streak #12, with the image of Daredevil on the other side.

Vinny has a copy of Silver Streak #12. I think I'll email him and ask him to check the back cover. If anyone else has a copy, please take a look.

Maybe we figured this out!

Jeff

Is the Captain Battle on the other side in color also? (I have seen some Golden Age books with color inside back covers.) I looked in Heritage's auction archives and found a Silver Streak #13 auction, but none for #12. The back cover of #13 is an ad for the first issue of Captain Battle. Does this match the other side?

http://apps.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=12061&Lot_No=31287&src=pr&sid=3317A89FFE59AA4F06E02227B8668525

Yes, the Captain Battle ad is in color, but it's not the ad on the back cover of the #13. Take a look in the Photojournal at the cover of #12. There's a head and shoulders shot of Captain Battle in a circle on the top left of the cover. The same image is on the back of the Daredevil image, but larger, and shows at least down to his waist. Not an action shot, just a classic superhero stance.

Thanks very much for trying though. Maybe we'll have more luck with the #12.

Jeff

At least there's text DAREDEVIL in interior back cover. (It's readable thanks to translucency).

We might be close. It's possible that number 12 featured that same ad.