• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which books do you think could be a Gerber 10

62 posts in this topic

Never saw the Drums of Doom before, cool. I said it before but this should be an easy Gerber 10. One of only two known copies and I searched Ebay, etc on a daily basis for almost 3 years straight at one point and I haven't even seen anyone show off another copy of this issue. When Heritage first sold the 8.0 copy it was the only known copy at that time and for such a high profile issue I am shocked that I haven't seen more floating around. I've seen at least 30+ copies of the original version in the last 7-8 years. I'm curious as heck as to what the print run of these issues were, must have been tiny.

Cap74C.jpg

I think Sephen L. might have a copy of this if its the book I am remembering correctly, unless this is Stephen posting...lol. I dont know the Nic's that well here yet.

Jason

Jason I don't think he has a Canadian copy as I'm sure he would have shared it with me by now. Besides I would bug him daily until he sold it to me. :cloud9:

I'm not sure what rating Gerber would give this one, but I know I've only seen 1 copy of it.

DSC02083.jpg

Very cool!

What's the interior like?

The interior is pretty much just like the cover, 1 page jokes with sexy women.

I'm not sure what rating Gerber would give this one, but I know I've only seen 1 copy of it.

standard comic size or smaller?

Larger, the size of a Captain America Comics Annual or Marvel Mystery Comics Annual.

There were many different RISQUE humor GGA type magazines published in the early 1940's. Does WHIZ-BANG qualify as a magazine or a comic book ? It seems more like a magazine to me.

I think those books deserve their own designation -- neither magazines nor comic books. Maybe "single-panel comic books," or "men's pin-up comic magazines"...

A bit late to the thread, but the Whiz Bang Annual is a very interesting book. It's published by Fawcett Publications. From what I've found, it was published as Jan 1940 cover date, so possibly a month before Whiz Comics!

Interesting (to me) for a couple reasons - this may've been the first published use of Whiz logo at Fawcett (similar, but not exactly the same as the one used on Whiz #2 (#1)). Also, I'm wondering if Fawcett frustrated by the loss of Flash Comics (to DC), Thrill Comics (to Better) and Capt Thunder (to Fiction House) picked "Whiz", since it was a name they were already going to use and figured no one else would?

Though aimed at adults, I'd call it a Comic Magazine, because of the size and content. Not sure it should in in OSPG, but similar books are already listed, like Avon's Bachelor's Diary and Sideshow, which were adult oriented and contain panel cartoons (like Whiz Bang), text and photos.

Does seem to be hard to find, and if no one else on the board has copies, might be a strong case for a high Gerber number.

WhizBang1940.jpg

WhizBang1940BC.jpg