• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are "acid-free" backing boards truly acid-free? Part 2

151 posts in this topic

Anyone else wanna take some shots at me for saying BCW is a good company for taking the time to defend their product? Im not saying it is better.

I'm glad you're changing your stance, because earlier you claimed it was better by posting the following statement:

"My conclusions would be that E. Gerber boards do not contribute to the decay of comics but also do nothing to prevent it. The BCW boards help to stop decay by absorbing the acid"

And for the umpteenth time, your conclusion is incorrect.

Yes, I think, from what Ive read that the bcw boards absorb some acid and because of that they need replaced every 3-5 years as suggested by bcw.

They need to be replaced frequently because they are much weaker buffers than the superior Gerber boards. When the strongly buffered Gerber board absorbs acids, it doesn't change pH very much (in other words, it has a large buffering capacity). When the weaker buffered BCW board absorbs acid, it too becomes acidic relatively quickly (in other words, it has a small buffering capacity).

The strongly buffered Gerber board is unequivocally better for removing acids given off by comic books.

I just wanna know how long gerber boards will stay a neutral ph and absorb acids from the comics. I'm sure its longer then BCW. All I'm trying to point out is that BCW is in the forum trying to answerer everyone's question's. Why hasn't Gerber showed up to agree or disagree with what bcw is saying?

All I'm trying to point out is that BCW is in the forum trying to answerer everyone's question's. Why hasn't Gerber showed up to agree or disagree with what bcw is saying?

No, BCW is trying to spread misinformation. To wit from the first post:

"From the data we can see that the E. Gerber Half-Back's pH level does not change over a 10 year period which suggests that the E. Gerber Half-Back does not absorb any residual acid from the comic book."

There are numerous posts from several board members in both this and the previous thread that explain in clear and simple terms when and why BCW is wrong, such as with their ridiculous claim quoted above. The presence of a representative from Gerber is unnecessary, and probably beneath them.

I just wanna know how long gerber boards will stay a neutral ph and absorb acids from the comics. I'm sure its longer then BCW. All I'm trying to point out is that BCW is in the forum trying to answerer everyone's question's. Why hasn't Gerber showed up to agree or disagree with what bcw is saying?

I believe because he is dead.

I believe because he is dead.

There you go letting facts get in the way of a good company assassination.

I know that, someone else is running the company. You think since steve jobs retired your ipod is gonna stop working? Anyone have any real answers?

I do:

Your iPod will most certainly stop working. The battery life is not infinite on those things!

I know that, someone else is running the company. You think since steve jobs retired your ipod is gonna stop working? Anyone have any real answers?
I think you should find another board to troll. You're obviously not long for this board or this world.