• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CONAN the Barbarian 3D...

85 posts in this topic

Momoa's heart is in the role, so it is very dissapointing to see the movie flop.

Marcus Nispel is a hack. There were some visually interesting scenes from a directorial point of view, but I guess he just tried to go showcase some of his "skills" because the -script was such a monster.

I read a few weeks ago that Jason Momoa was trying to write a -script for the Conan film that was supposed to come after this episode. At the time I was incredulous because the lead actor writing the -script?

Then I saw how bad the -script was for CtB. Hackneyed plot. Cliche-ridden mess.

Hell, I could write a better Conan -script than those 4 writers did.

How they spent 90 million on that piece of sheeit I'll never know...

Save your money and go see Rise of the Planet of the Apes (and I am one of the biggest Conan afficianados there is)

Momoa's heart is in the role, so it is very dissapointing to see the movie flop.

Marcus Nispel is a hack. There were some visually interesting scenes from a directorial point of view, but I guess he just tried to go showcase some of his "skills" because the -script was such a monster.

I read a few weeks ago that Jason Momoa was trying to write a -script for the Conan film that was supposed to come after this episode. At the time I was incredulous because the lead actor writing the -script?

Then I saw how bad the -script was for CtB. Hackneyed plot. Cliche-ridden mess.

Hell, I could write a better Conan -script than those 4 writers did.

How they spent 90 million on that piece of sheeit I'll never know...

Save your money and go see Rise of the Planet of the Apes (and I am one of the biggest Conan afficianados there is)

:(

I can imagine the -script went through several stages and whoever is the biggest provider of dollars to the project has the biggest say. Well whoever that is made very poor decisions as to the direction of this film and clearly has NO IDEA how to make a successful film. I am with you on this, I think *I* can make a better movie with minimal experience in the film industry.

I think that was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. And I'm a insufficiently_thoughtful_person thats very easily entertained.

+1

It was just plain horrible. I caught an afternoon showing today and there were maybe 10 people in the theater (and we're talking opening weekend in Manhattan). I guess people who saw the lame trailers were asking themselves why this movie needed to be remade. Being a huge Conan and REH fan (I read the original REH stories before I even discovered comic books), I had to see the film, but I'm not sure why anyone else was there. At the end of the film, one person started clapping, but nobody else joined in. It was just mind-numbingly awful.

The plot and main story are both awful and bare scant resemblance to anything either in REH's original stories or in the comics. It felt like it was written by some Hollywood screenwriters who did maybe 2 days of cramming about Conan before putting pen to paper, with the result that it just seemed like a generic medieval swords and sandals type flick instead of the Hyborian Age we all know and love. Momoa does a decent job of physically acting out Conan, but looks like he's trying too hard whenever he opens his mouth. The dialogue is horrible. There is not much in the way of any character development. I thought the first scene in which the adult Conan appears was way out of character as well. The costumes and sets look very cheap. Nothing in the movie looked or felt like Conan. Which, I could have overlooked had the rest of the movie actually been good, but, sadly, it wasn't.

Stephen Lang's Khalar Zym villain was terribly generic and nothing uniquely Hyborian Age about him at all. Rose McGowan's character was similarly bad with her stupid Freddie Krueger claws. Rachel Nichols - I'm a fan, but her character was generic and a throwaway - why not at least have made her a priestess of Mitra instead of some generic monk-in-training? There was just so little that distinguished this film as being "Conan". Occasionally they would throw in the name of a place like Ophir, though even the description/inferences of such didn't actually match up with what we know about Ophir.

The post-production 3-D conversion was utterly hapless and pointless. You can watch most of the film without the glasses on as there is very little that is actually in 3-D.

Just a major letdown all around. I'll need to re-watch the Arnold film to get this stinker out of my mind. :mad:

+2

Just got it on Netflix yesterday and watched it last night. The stench feeling my house is almost overwhelming. I am afraid playing that movie in my DVD player may have damaged my player it was just so bad. I just can't believe they actually released that. I actually thought Momoa was really bad as Conan. They tried to throw a few scars on him, but he was way too much of a pretty boy to be Conan. Also, the way the film jumped around was just bizarre. Just way to many pointless scenes. Did they ever explain why the main villain was dragging around a boat? Just before this, I watched Green Lantern which was almost as bad.