• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage June Auction

50 posts in this topic

AARRGGHH!!!!!

I was winning around $4.5K of books this morning (at pretty respectable prices) and now I only have around $1.5K (including the juice).

And I'm not winning ONE Silver-Age Marvel.

This really hurts.

So whens the crash?

Oh, and biggest surprise isn't the GL #76.

How about a Daredevil #17 CGC 9.6 Pacific Coast copy. With the juice it's almost at $3K. 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif

How about the prices on some of those Harvey File copies! Who's paying well over $2K for an 9.0 copy of Spooky #1 when it only guides for $487! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

I find it surprising that these file copies have staying power since they have been getting these multiples for the past couple of years. How much longer will this last before the demand dries up?

Apparently, the demand for most of the books in Heritage Auction, clearly outstrips supply.

I just hope that it's not just Dealers buying these books to put on their website at twice the price.

I did win one Pre-Code Horror book today. I was the only bidder so that really encouraging. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm winning about six Atlas books from the Bethlehem Collection, so I'll see how many I win tomorrow.

Still, I'm pretty dissappointed that a few of the books I really wanted just went for more than I felt comfortable bidding. 893frustrated.gif

Anyone win anything today?

Nope, but when you don't bid on anything it's hard to win stuff. I thought this signature auction was the worst of any thus far. There was nothing that I was interested in, and half the nice Marvels were pence copies. frown.gif

Brian

How about the prices on some of those Harvey File copies! Who's paying well over $2K for an 9.0 copy of Spooky #1 when it only guides for $487! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

I find it surprising that these file copies have staying power since they have been getting these multiples for the past couple of years. How much longer will this last before the demand dries up?

Lou, I KNOW!!! I was watching tonights live bidding and nearly fell over!!! One guy just kept bidding and bidding online fror all the best graded copies, so perhaps it was Geppi wanting to reassemble his warehouse copies.....?

The problem is that the supply is so much less than the demand. Most early Harvey books have maybe one or two copies graded...actually most have none graded. That Spooky #1 is the highest graded copy and I thought it might go for even more than that.

Some more crazy ones were Richie Rich #5 CGC 9.6 for over $5000.00. There are lots of other ones too...the 9.6s especially were insane. Wendy Witch World #1 CGC 9.6 went for over $1500 when it guides for $190 in 9.2. And it is far from a key Harvey book, at least in my mind.

I won a couple of the auctions, but it wasn't pretty...my bank account isn't going to look too nice next week. But this was, by far, the best CGC Harvey collection ever offered in publc, and it probably will be the best one offered for years and years to come. I wish I could have afforded more, but the prices were very high.

Another good one is Casper 20 CGC 9.4 that went for over $2000...it has the first appearance of Wendy. I thought it would go for about $1200, but it shot past that fast and hard. There are some deep pocketed Harvey fans out there...probably less than five of them, but they can sure drive the prices up.

I thought maybe YOU were the big winner of those lots... you have championed Harveys for awhile.

But werent all these file copies in the warehouse in depth? That is , shouldnt there be at leasyt a dozen of each book? Perhaps these were just the first batch to hit Heritage or the market???

I guess if there ARE other copies, theyll show up pretty soon after the results tonight!!!

Nope, but when you don't bid on anything it's hard to win stuff. I thought this signature auction was the worst of any thus far. There was nothing that I was interested in, and half the nice Marvels were pence copies. frown.gif

Brian

I agree, there were a few books that I was interested in, but the overall breadth and depth of the selection was the worst yet for a signature auction. CGC prices brought a lot of great books out of the woodwork the last few years, but that surge in great material appears to have dried up... confused-smiley-013.gif

The last Signature Auction was in April (two months ago). Remember, they are having more and more, therefore they are a touch smaller than usual.

For the true Silver-Age Marvel fan, there wasn't as much as usual, I would admit. But there was still a few nice books. I think it will be tougher for them to acquire large lots at reasonable prices, since the demand for these books makes it very easy to sell on other, less pricey, venues (eBay, ComicLink, dealer consignment website, etc.)

But as stated before, they had the best selection of Harvey's ever.

And I collect Atlas books, and while I'm not a huge fan of the Bethlehem collection (because of dustshadows and tanning on the back covers), this was the best selection I've seen in their auctions.

And lots of beautiful Western Penn and Pacific Coast mid to late 1960's DC's, most with NO RESERVE.

To each his own. smile.gif

But werent all these file copies in the warehouse in depth? That is , shouldnt there be at leasyt a dozen of each book? Perhaps these were just the first batch to hit Heritage or the market???

I guess if there ARE other copies, theyll show up pretty soon after the results tonight!!!

Aman;

I believe the bulk of the file copies that Geppi had in quantity and spent years selling off were the later runs of Harveys. I don't believe there were multiple copies of these early Harveys and I never saw them listed for sale in the same manner as the later Harveys.

I believe this current run of Harveys showed up in this Heritage auction because of the spectacular prices realized in the PAST several Signature auctions. As you said, maybe even more will show up in future auctions.

Brian

I agree, hence my earlier comment.

I thought maybe YOU were the big winner of those lots... you have championed Harveys for awhile.

I won a few of the less expensive lots, but I did get the Little Lotta #1 CGC 8.5 which was a bit pricey. However, it is tied for the highest graded copy, so it is worth it to me.

As far as the file copies, I seriously doubt there are "dozens" of copies of most of the earlier issues. There are just too few that turn up on the open market.

But I'm hoping you are correct and these prices raise some eyebrows and bring other copies into the market. Even if I can't afford most of these books, it is nice to see them surface. If you look at the CGC census for Casper, Little Dot, Little Lotta, Little Audrey, etc, you will see how few books have even been graded.

This was a thrilling auction if you are into Harvey books. I doubt we'll see a collection like this again, but a steady stream of nice newly graded books would satisfy me.

RE: Daredevil 17 - early Spider Man appearances are hot before Spider Man 2? Is 17 where they are both on the cover?

No thats 16, 17 just has his spider signal.

Same difference! tongue.gif That's basically a SM cover appearance.

I believe (could be wrong) that had been told over the years that even th eearly issues were not "one0-of-a-kind" and got more plentiful in th elater numbers. but... maybe someone knows for sure.

For me they are cool books, especially in high grade, but.... I guess what I mean is Id rather be the seller tonight than the buyer at these prices! Who know, maybe Harveys will be on fire now and skyrocket further... especilaly the keys..

my feeling about the current census in regard to Harveys is similar to many genres that can be summed up as falling in the "Non-Marvel" category. I cant believe there has been too much incentive for Harvey collectors to have their books slabbed as yet.....even more so for Harvey sthan DCs for which that is the accepted rationale for the comparably low census figures...compared to Marvels.

but I still worry (for buyers) about the current "pay anything multiples" for 9.6s!!! Lets face it - - they just arent 4 to 10 times as nice as 9.4s and 9.2s, and often not even 4 to 8 times as scarce, and shouldnt sell for that much more... I gotta think that it will settle down to the ratios that the most expensive keys sell at now.

AF15 9.4 = 125

AF15 9.2 = 80-90

AF15 9.0 = 50

AF15 8.5 = 25 (I dont have exact stats for these last two...am I off by much?)

What makes far cheaper books sell for crazy multiples is IMO just that: their lower prices. If a 9.2 goes for 500... why NOT pay 4K for a 9.6??? Its still 'only' 4K blush.gif and in time, it seems a decent bet that Guide and the market will catch up.