• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is the most expensive variant, really a variant?

26 posts in this topic

If you’ve gotten a hold of the new guide, you might have noticed that there is a new champion in the variant world, at least as far as prices are concerned. Miracleman

#1, gold edition, skyrocketed to an unbelievable $1500 in NM while its twin, the blue edition, rose to a whopping $800. This is, by far, the highest listed price ever for a variant.

Problem is, I think these books are more signed editions than variants. Now don’t get me wrong, I own both of these books, so I obviously have no problem with such a huge price increase. thumbsup2.gif But here’s the deal – if a variant is a variation of a printed book – then these two, as rare as they might be, can not be variants.

Here’s the story: Before Miracleman #1 hit the stands, three comic book stores spoke to the publisher, Eclipse Comics. They thought it would be a good idea to sell the book’s first copies out at the San Diego Con. They had 1,000 books shipped to the Con, 400 of them were signed (and subsequently numbered) by Alan Moore. The remaining 600 were signed (but not numbered) by the publisher & editor of the book.

The books Moore signed were given a yellow colored COA (with a special sketch w/ the San Diego Con logo), the others were given the same COA but with a blue color. Thus the Gold & Blue variants. They were then sold by the dealers for about $10 each at the con.

The bottom line is, these books were not printed in any different way that all the other copies of MM 1, that later hit the stand, so from that point of view, they are not variants. Having said that, these books were signed, and given different COAs with the publisher’s full knowledge and co-operation. They are very similar to the Valiant’s Signature series, which are not listed in the guide whatsoever.

Thoughts? Opinions?

It's a regular print run edition hand-signed by the creator. No special logo or price variant at all. Price jumped in OS only b/c 1 copy sold for about $1,400-1,600 in a CBG cover story last yr. Unfortunately, eBay prices have plummetted since. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I had no idea how much this was worth!!! 893whatthe.gif

I just submitted my Miracleman gold edition and COA to CGC at Wizard World Los Angeles thinking "This is one of the nicest books I own in terms of condition." I figured it was worth in the area of $50. Little did I know!

cloud9.gif

Wouldn't CGC give that a Qualified grade, and then toss the COA?

That's what they do with similar books, and you may just have cooked your "variant". tonofbricks.gif

They won't toss the COA. I would assume its like a Gaines File Copy, where you get the COA back.

They won't toss the COA. I would assume its like a Gaines File Copy, where you get the COA back.

Sure, in a perfect world, but I seem to remember somewhere on the CGC site where they recommend that you do not send the originals, as they cannot guarantee their return.

Sure, in a perfect world, but I seem to remember somewhere on the CGC site where they recommend that you do not send the originals, as they cannot guarantee their return.

My Gaines File and my Lost Valley books, both of which have COAs, had the COA also "encapsulated" - the COAs were tagged.

My Gaines File and my Lost Valley books, both of which have COAs, had the COA also "encapsulated" - the COAs were tagged.

893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Okay, so what's the official CGC stance on this?

Well, CGC did the encapsulating/tagging, so I guess they're OK with it.

Okay, so what's the official CGC stance on this?

They should send the COA back. I've never had the CPA include in the slab, but maybe you can request that. I wouldn't because it would hide part of the back cover.

Nice topic

How much variants are within the miracleman series? And how much are they worth/fetching?

Do these variant have any extras inside?! Looking at those numbers these must be pretty rare...

thanks

When I submitted it, the CGC folks told me that I could write on the submission sheet in the notes on the book that it was the Gold version. I had the certificate with it, so I'm curious to know where they put it or if it's included at all. I think in this case, since I had no idea how much the darn thing was worth, that I would absolutely want the certificate to be there instead of the back cover. Who do I talk to about this? Help!!

Kermit,

There are no other Miracleman variants besides the #1 versions. I know the others you're talking about. Some store bought out part of the old Eclipse warehouse and decided to do all sorts of monkey business with them. They painted on all sorts of stuff on the covers and then tried to sell them as variants. 893naughty-thumb.gif I did some investigating at the time and finally figured it all out.

As far as I know, they aren't worth any more than the actual books themselves.

When I did QC at CGC we got the COA's back to the customer. If it is signed on the cover it would get a qualified rating, and if signed on the inside a universal rating. TO BE SURE CALL STEVE BOROCK for the latest information smile.gif

Earlier response to previous thread on this Kermit

cheers

Ewan

These are "artificial" variants created by New Dimension. They've bought up uncirculated issues of 17, 23 and the 3D special (and maybe others) and stamped them with new Totleben artwork in gold ink on the cover.

I say "artificial" because the 'variation' was not made when they were printed - so in actual fact they are 'qualified' comics doctored by a comics retailer.

I bought 4 copies of no.17 to re-sell in the UK - and interest has been very weak.

But I quite like them.

One school of thought says these are a bit of a con really - but if they are genuinely as limited as ND states, they could become rare in the future - but probably not.

The caveat is with no.23 - which is already a lot scarcer in high grade than other issues - certainly than no.15.

The copies of no.17 I bought were 9.6 to 9.8 so definitely uncirculated.

The auction quoted is a bit confused though - as these are absolutely nothing to do with the "Gold" edition of no.1 - the San Diego version signed by Moore etc. Do a search on miracleman to find out more about this.

Is the no.23 a good buy? Not at $99!

Ewan