• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis comics on buried treasure

50 posts in this topic

i think i missed the first half with metro, i saw the guy with the repro 1672 violin and the compulsive hoarder and her seemingly meth-headesque daughter (grand daughter?) who actually had some good stuff. with that said, since when are the keenos qualified to authenticate 3000 year old greek bowls? their specialty is early american furniture. (at least they called in experts for the violin and the dickens signature)

as for the superman cell being more expensive than disney cells...disney cells were collectors items right from the start. my mother had some as a kid in the early 40's that were bought as such (long gone, of course) when a relative visited the disney studios on a tour or something. as they were probably kept in far larger numbers than the superman cells (which, afterall, stem from a fairly limited number of WW II era cartoons), i can see why superman would be worth more even if disney stuff may have a larger collector base.

I liked the show and the comic segment with Metro. I thought it was quite amazing the guy had no idea of the piece of tape on the AF15 and he even asked if they were sure...didn't he see it there? doh!

I know some people aren't aware to look for color touch and that's kind of understandable but how he thought his comics were worth 10x what they were was very odd.

He also should have sold that cell for $58,000 and thrown in his Michael Jackson jacket for an extra $50.

I hope they have more comic segments with metro...it was cool to see comic collecting exposure.

Dunno about comics...it's pretty easy for someone to get an idea what their action 1 is worth, within some range at least, via 5 minutes on the internet, but authenticating and appraising a 1672 violin or 3000 year old greek bowl or unassuming looking chair requires some expertise... the cartoon cell is a different story though

I watched it last night. Interesting segment.

First of all, $5400 for an AF15 with tape is a small price to pay... to be on a national broadcast showing people across America that 'old comics can be valuable' and to get those people thinking 'there are these guys in New York called Metropolis that I should get in touch with about this old Action comics #1 I found out in the barn.'

Smart marketing move on the part of the folks at Metropolis. That's why they are the kings of the heap, because they are VERY good businessmen. If even ONE solid lead comes up that results in a new comics find, then that $5400 was money very well spent.

Shep

It's not like it's metro's show, the keeno bros are NYers and presumably they contacted Metro because they're the biggest/best in NY in terms of high end vintage stuff rather than joe's comic hut or crazy hair carbonaro. Vinnie z cleans up good on tv

I'm still wondering how much that Fleischer Superman cell is really worth... Anyone know? I don't think I've heard of one being sold in the past.

Hard to say...gotta be worth a good amount if Metro was offering him 58K for it. Their first offer was 50K.

The episode froze up on me, but what is up with that guy's jacket? I'm impressed that someone who dresses like that and lives in a one bedroom apartment crammed with comic memorabilia has any wife, let alone a cute one.

The episode froze up on me, but what is up with that guy's jacket? I'm impressed that someone who dresses like that and lives in a one bedroom apartment crammed with comic memorabilia has any wife, let alone a cute one.

Must be his hair that attracted her to him