• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis comics on buried treasure

50 posts in this topic

That guys hair was awesome. Also,I could see the color touch from my couch.

Right the CT on that Hulk was extensive,the owner looking like he did'nt know.If you have books like AF 15 and Hulk 1 you know everything about that book. :makepoint:

Not necessarily true. I've dealt with someone that had both those books, bought as unrestored 10-12 years ago, that had no clue they were restored until he got them slabbed. Needless to say he wasn't a happy camper, either

I just watched the show... I liked the whole thing in general, the look on the guys face was priceless when he found out about the resto.... looked real easy to spot too! I wonder if he got scammed? hm

Also, did you see his wife? Freakin hot Russian... the look on her face was priceless too when she found out how much that superman cel was worth! lol

My wife thinks she was a mail order bride..... :roflmao:

My thoughts exactly!

So no one else thought the AF 15 price was a little too high?

Everyone at my house thought the exact same thing about his wife.

The show was actually very interesting. I will watch more of these.

Metro does pay pretty well for books, at least in my experience. They don't talk the books down while buying and then go overboard on their good qualities when they sell.

Do you mean "they don't talk the books down while buying and DON'T go overboard when they sell" or "they don't the books down while buying, and then DO go overboard when they sell?"

It could be read both ways, and just wanted to clarify. :)

Very weird segment.

So, this guy has comic book stuff wall-to-wall, and works in the industry but is somehow oblivious to basic grading standards and or the existence of a price guide? That just seems so unlikely.

Seems like they changed the story in the editing room. Not a big surprise there though.

Also, they showed them carting two big boxes into Metropolis but they only looked at three items on the air.

Anyone watching?

They bought an af #15 for 5400 that had a large piece taped to the cover.. Seems like they overpaid.

They arent in the business to lose money, so if they lose $ id be surprised.

I know there not in the business to lose... But I wonder if they really even did the purchase, or if it was all a show.

No, it had to be real. It was, after all, on TV.

my friend sent me a text last night around 8:20, it read "comic stuff on CH2", so i naturally flipped to the channel, and then i remembered the thread. i replied to him, "yeah, that's vincent from metropolis comics, and you actually met him before at the wonder con in oakland, he sold me a TTA 59 8.5 on credit, was amazed how trusting he was", my friend responded, "oh yeah! i remember that." :whee: as for mail order bride, from what i saw last night, i don't think so, she would have wanted him to sell then. hm tears looked pretty real to me.

Metro does pay pretty well for books, at least in my experience. They don't talk the books down while buying and then go overboard on their good qualities when they sell.

Do you mean "they don't talk the books down while buying and DON'T go overboard when they sell" or "they don't the books down while buying, and then DO go overboard when they sell?"

It could be read both ways, and just wanted to clarify. :)

Something like that. :foryou:

There were some other items, they chose to show the most interesting ones. The seller, Graig Weich, is the creator of super hero sensation- Ravedactyl...

How did you guys know that Superman cell was the real deal from 1941 and not a reproduction? I take it you did some pre-examination of it before they taped the segment?

Very weird segment.

So, this guy has comic book stuff wall-to-wall, and works in the industry but is somehow oblivious to basic grading standards and or the existence of a price guide? That just seems so unlikely.

Seems like they changed the story in the editing room. Not a big surprise there though.

Also, they showed them carting two big boxes into Metropolis but they only looked at three items on the air.

I do not understand why even the wife said to back down from the $58k offering for the Superman cel, unless they thought they could get more selling directly to a buyer and skipping the Metropolis middle-man.

Also had to call out how there was really no discussion on the authenticity or shape the cel was in, it didn't look like it was stored in an encasement besides what looked like just a matted frame around it. Even my wife said the cel looked warped from the angles they showed. Is a full-body SM by Fleischer really $58k? Seems to be higher than even some classic Disney cel prices I've seen.

I liked the show and the comic segment with Metro. I thought it was quite amazing the guy had no idea of the piece of tape on the AF15 and he even asked if they were sure...didn't he see it there? doh!

I know some people aren't aware to look for color touch and that's kind of understandable but how he thought his comics were worth 10x what they were was very odd.

He also should have sold that cell for $58,000 and thrown in his Michael Jackson jacket for an extra $50.

I hope they have more comic segments with metro...it was cool to see comic collecting exposure.