• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on Scanning Large Art

10 posts in this topic

I have a large piece of original art (approx 30" x 20") that I would like to scan. Does anyone have a method that they have used with some success to get this done ?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

There are two methods I've used...

Using Photoshop (or other photo software) and a scanner of any size, you can piece together separate scans into one image. It's a lot of rotating and eyeballing but not too difficult to do.

The other method is to call your local copy shop/Kinko's/university library and see if they have a large oversize scanner. These scanners will usually scan up to 42" wide. The problem with these scanners is that they use rollers to grip the paper to run it over the scanning strip. If you have a valuable page I would be a little leery of using these as it might smear ink, move stats, or crack whiteout (depending on the page) or if the paper is thin, may crumple the page.

I live in Houston and a company here, Houston Photo Imaging (HPI), that does advertising work. They have a flatbed scanner that can handle items as thick as 3" to 4" and as wide as 40". The length does not seem to matter since their software can stitch it (probably Photoshop). I've used them for large pieces.

I suspect that if you contact local museums or advertising firms in your area and describe what you are trying to do they can refer you to a company like this. That's how I found HPI.

Scanning in sections is fine as most have mentioned but for oil paintings, go with a photography studio. It can cost you around $100 for several shots. They can give you the images on a CD or your thumbdrive.