• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A crying shame -- FF #74 CGC 9.6 Signature Series

38 posts in this topic

I so very much would buy this copy, but that signature placement is absolutely tragic. :cry: The color of the ink mixes with the cover colors behind it fantastically, but the signature blocking so much of Galactus's body pisses me off. Great centering and QP, nice PQ, but that signature is just defacing. :mad:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FANTASTIC-FOUR-74-CGC-9-6-SIGNATURE-SERIES-STAN-LEE-/310341250040?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4841c7abf8#ht_2659wt_1111

$(KGrHqIOKjYE40toIP!(BOVwpNbvFg~~60_3.JPG

I'm not a big fan of Sig Series but it's here to stay and has it's place. Fans

like sigs of creators and it makes collectibles more valuable.

I agree with people from the last signature series thread--it does have its place, but that place isn't on nosebleed-grade books. The signature ends up being by far the worst defect on the book on a 9.6 like the one in question here. :eek:

More than anything, it is poor placement as a result of poor planning. Stan will sign wherever you want him to, but you have to cut your window bags exactly and properly.

Here is one of mine where Stan had a huge open area to sign. Not so good:

utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTQtMjAwOTA2MTgtMjMwN.jpg

Here is one after I figured out what i was doing:

IMG00149-20101120-1654.jpg

For a high grade copy like that FF 74, why not get the interior signed?

Personally , I am very against SS of any kind, but I can understand it for low grade/reader copies or modern books.

But a high grade silver book with a sig on the art.. :sick:

If for some reason I wanted a silver book signed.. I'd have the back cover signed.

I can see why people like SS books but personally, i agree with FF and would never want one on a HG SA book. For a modern or a lower-mid grade book i can see it but to take a almost perfect example of a 50 year old book and have a sig splashed on the cover just doesnt make sense to me.

I'm with the sign on the splash page crowd but i also see how people who really like sigs wouldnt find that very appealing since they cant even see it once it's slabbed. Just seems like a shame to me to take one of the highest graded examples of a SA book and have it signed on the cover (shrug)

Some of those sig placements by Stan are crazy imo! From what ive seen with his signings, you DEFINITELY have to provide the book bagged with a board over it with a hole cut exactly where you want it signed. If you leave it up to Stan to decide where to sign it, you're definitely taking a BIG risk!

More than anything, it is poor placement as a result of poor planning. Stan will sign wherever you want him to, but you have to cut your window bags exactly and properly.

Here is one of mine where Stan had a huge open area to sign. Not so good:

utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTQtMjAwOTA2MTgtMjMwN.jpg

Here is one after I figured out what i was doing:

IMG00149-20101120-1654.jpg

That X-men sig would drive me CRAZY! To me, that ruins the entire book.

I agree with sean though, the JIM sig doesnt look bad at all. For a book of that grade, i think the sig is actually pretty cool where its placed and would increase its appeal to me.

That X-men sig is just horrific though imo :sick:

I can see why you all feel that way about the FF 74. Fairly late Silver and only two 9.8s and 12 9.6s that is low census.

I still think the 74 rocks. But I am not the target market. I like to get my own raw books done and I like the 8.0-9.0 grade-price point for SA SS.

I still think the 74 rocks.

I'm a big Galactus fan, but if that were my book, all I'd see when I looked at him on the cover is Stan's signature, it's completely obscuring the art for him. :pullhair: I'd probably have bought the book if the sig were in the lower-right corner on top of the drawing of Earth and to the right of the Surfer's board.

All of those look good to me except for the GRR Avengers 4.

I'm not sure where i'd put it on that cover but that one definitely detracts from the art for me (shrug)

+1

I think the best place for an Avenger 4 would be right above Thor's head and if the sig is big and cross Iron Man's feet, it wouldn't be a bad thing...but that is my 2 cents.

All of those look good to me except for the GRR Avengers 4.

I'm not sure where i'd put it on that cover but that one definitely detracts from the art for me (shrug)

+1

I think the best place for an Avenger 4 would be right above Thor's head and if the sig is big and cross Iron Man's feet, it wouldn't be a bad thing...but that is my 2 cents.

img2778z.jpg