• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ridiculous Ebay Auctions!

28 posts in this topic

This is what I would call a ridiculous auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iNVESTOR-LoT-RooKiE-1st-MiCHAEL-TURNER-comic-book-FiRST-/300521086868?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item45f873df94

[/quote

I'm still trying to figure out what book you get three copies of in that auction. I gave up after 15 or 30 seconds because, well, life is too short for that auction description

Whoa, I been drinkin' but still I know subliminal jabber when I see it, that was a mind screw

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-I-JOE-OPERATION-HISS-1-CGC-SS-9-8-HERB-TRIMPE-/250869271087?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a68f94a2f

I run across this at times as I look for my Joe's, it's been on E-Bay for months - I mean come on, the only person that would even buy this book graded for $20 or $30 would be me (it's a .99 cent book raw)! And I can get Herb signature at any number of conventions for nothing but shipping cost and a re-grading fee????? $675.00!?!?!?!? It's just stupid!

But you do get free shipping!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-I-JOE-OPERATION-HISS-1-CGC-SS-9-8-HERB-TRIMPE-/250869271087?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a68f94a2f

I run across this at times as I look for my Joe's, it's been on E-Bay for months - I mean come on, the only person that would even buy this book graded for $20 or $30 would be me (it's a .99 cent book raw)! And I can get Herb signature at any number of conventions for nothing but shipping cost and a re-grading fee????? $675.00!?!?!?!? It's just stupid!

You could put EVERY single one of Blackstars on here!

He has a 6.0 SS X-men one for $96,000! :o You could get a 9.4 for that!

Or his 7.0 Hulk 181 for $8500, his 1.5 ASM 6 for $8,000 etc, etc, etc.......

You could put EVERY single one of Blackstars on here!

He has a 6.0 SS X-men one for $96,000! :o You could get a 9.4 for that!

Or his 7.0 Hulk 181 for $8500, his 1.5 ASM 6 for $8,000 etc, etc, etc.......

Some sellers list their items at ridiculous prices because they believe that someone out there will pay it. I have a friend who owned a comic/collectibles store here in my home town who operated under that philosophy. He had storage units filled with collectibles he had acquired. He hung onto them waiting for the client that would "pay the asking price". One day he and I were going to shoot pool for the afternoon and he needed to stop at one of his storage units. He opened the door to the jam packed unit and began digging through it. I pointed out a collectible game I had been after for years that I saw stacked on top of some boxes. I asked him about it, reminded him that I have been asking him to look out for one and his reply was "I know what you are willing to pay for it, I can get more from someone else." A month later I found an unopened copy of the game on Ebay and never bought anything from him again. To those that want to know the game was Divine Right, later re-distributed, but there was a time finding an original game ( complete ) was nearly impossible.

I can see someone having no clue and paying $100 for something worth just a few bucks. Even as cynical as i am, i find it VERY hard to believe that ANYONE would pay $96,000 for a $4,000 max comic book.

It's sellers like blackstar that have made eBay useless since i dont have time to weed thru a million ridiculous listings to find ones worth my while.