• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warning, there's quite a few pictures here

43 posts in this topic

Nice score, congrats. Keep them and enjoy them or flip what you don't want on eBay and you'll do fine.

But I agree with the other poster...nothing there worth slabbing unless you have sure-thing 9.6 or better candidates.

Love when boardies share finds like this...most of us kind of enjoy vicariously since we either don't have the luck (or time) to do the required searching!

:applause:

It's funny that, when I went out on these couple of searches, I told myself it won't take much time. This was true at first, but then I'd find a person or two with a couple long boxes of books. It's amazing how much time would fly, meticulously scanning through each box, and then analyzing books that have potential.

This lucky find was the only one that didn't take much time. I was at the flea market for about 30 mins looking at each booth, then I lucked out by seeing this tub out front, just asking to be bought. Normally, I would have looked deeper into the collection, but there wasn't the convenience of a long box to sift through, and no place to spread anything out.

I would have paid the 200 after everything I did see in there, but I played it cool to try and save myself some money. I didn't want them to see my excitement right then and there, they probably would have wanted a lot more. To the lady's credit, she did have some clue to what she had, although off on value. She was aware that the 15-25 cent books were indeed older and held more value, which she pointed out to my attention.

In the end, she had no plans for the books nor seemed interested in the time and effort it would take to maximize her profit. She just wanted them gone to make room. Considering she was selling a bunch of clothes and knick knacks, I'm sure the 160 cash was more than she was expecting to go home with that day :)

I got real lucky on this find :banana: Now I get to go through and analyze which books I'm going to get graded. After going through and bagging/boarding the books, I'm still amazed of the condition of 65% of the books, considering the lady kept them in a rubbermaid tote. Strangely enough, only the Uncanny X-Men run, with the Dark Phoenix, were in bags (shrug) Guess that particular run meant more to this person.

There's no telling how long these books were probably just setting in this tub in the garage. Thank goodness it was a tote with a tight lid. It probably saved the books from getting wet and moldy. :ohnoez:

That's a great score at that price, but I really don't see anything that would justify spending $20-$30+ a pop to slab them. The X-Men would have to be absolutely perfect to justify it and all seem to have some slightly rounded corners. Don't evaporate your profits (even you plan on keeping these and not actually taking any profits any time soon) with expensive encapsulation.

That certainly is an aspect I'm taking into consideration, justification of costs. There are a quite a few books that are worth grading that are not pictured that are very sharp. I may put a couple up in the spare a grade forum to get some opinions. Most I'll sell off raw or keep for my personal collection. I'm also looking at grading from a registered set point of view. I will be very keen in the end on what's ultimately worth the costs. Thanks for the input (thumbs u

definitely put big quality scans up here and get feedback before spending $20-$30 a pop to slab them. this isn't 2003 where even 9.4s of those x-men were probably profitable after slabbing.