• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artist's sketches at shows or what not.....

7 posts in this topic

Typically how much would you expect to pay for a sketch from your favorite, or for matter, any artist at a show? Does it really vary that widely? Since returning to the hobby, I've pretty much accepted the fact that I'll probably never be able to afford a page of original artwork from any of the artists I grew up with (I.e. Adams, Wrightson, Kane, etc..), but would still be interested in sketch work. Just so I know what I'm getting into, is there a going rate or guide I should use so I know I'm not overpaying? Particularly if I'm not buying from the artist directly and through a 3rd party. Thx.

Varies a whole lot:

th_Neal-Adams-Joker-Batman.jpg

Neal Adams - 9x12

$1,200

th_BillyTucci-HarleyQuinn.jpg

Billy Tucci - 11x17

$100 :acclaim:

th_SeanDietrich-NixonandHunterThompsonpoker.jpg or th_TommyCastillo-Zombiesketchcoloringbook.jpg

Sean Dietrich or Tommy Castillo - 9x12

$40

The Dave Gibbons' Judge Dredd in my sig line was a $50 donation and is on a small card - about 3x4

Wow. $1200 for the homage to Bats 251. I don't have a problem paying the artist directly. After all, it's their sweat and toil, and they certainly have the right to price their work. I guess its the reseller marking up the sticker that I'm more concerned about.

Love that Steadman inspired one :applause:

I think it was only $30 for that one, but at SDCC he was up to $40. I love his work and am having him do a half dozen color pieces for me currently. One of the things I love about going to conventions is coming across an artist like Dietrich. I have had a lot of commissions done and so far there is only one I regret - outstanding artist, crappy effort. I get a much greater satisfaction from a nice commission than I used to get out of a similarly priced comic.

Wow. $1200 for the homage to Bats 251. I don't have a problem paying the artist directly. After all, it's their sweat and toil, and they certainly have the right to price their work. I guess its the reseller marking up the sticker that I'm more concerned about.

I don't think that was a re-seller. At sdcc, he was charging $200 for a side profile, $500 for a head shot and $1000 for a full body.