• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I read Spider-Island #1

9 posts in this topic

:preach:

I bought it because it's a Stephen Segovia cover, who I really like, and because it's a nice thick comic and figured it might be more than five minutes worth of reading.

I didn't care for the writing. It was kiddish. It seemed to written to appeal to the 11 and under crowd. I like characters that are deep and complicated. I like character development. I like interactions between them that are believable. I like stories that grip me.

With Spider-Island I felt like I can get as much depth watching Saturday morning superhero cartoons.

I haven't seen stats that examine the demographics of comic readers, but I rarely see children in my local comic shops, and the few times I do they're with parents shopping for themselves. It could be that the demographic is there and Marvel is trying to appeal to them as well. If that's the case it would be nice if there was some type of identifier for which comics are written for which age group.

With that being said, I enjoyed the hell out of the NYX mini-series, I like the DD series, X23, Daken and Uncanny X-Force are decent. By far my absolute favorite comic is Walking Dead, which of course isn't Marvel.

I would think there would be countless talented, aspiring writers out there who could possibly be of Kirkman's caliber. For a big name like Marvel it should be easy (or at least doable) to hire good writing talent for all of their lines. Am I wrong on that, if and not why aren't they?

I dropped all Marvel and DC comics. You made a good point about the demo of comic readers. I think if any research was ever done, comic companies would realize kids don't read them anymore. I have 10 year old nephew who loves spiderman and wolverine among many others. I asked him what comics he reads and he said none, he likes video games. I think that sums up today's younger crowd.

Funny, my main problem with marvel nowadays is the excessive violence, I mean I like violence in my comics, but that's way I read Walking Dead and Punisher Max, when it comes to the regular MU I prefer some lighter and simpler stuff.

Too bad we can't have both =P

Not speaking of Spider Island in particular, as I haven't read it, but part of the problem with kids and comic books is that there are only a few comic books that, in my opinion, are appropriate for the pre-teen crowd. I take my 6yr and 9yr old sons into our LCS and they have a small rack that are for kids. I think just about every mainstream Marvel/DC and most independents are made for teens at the youngest.

I think there may be a push to get more kids reading books, but it's tough as the market isn't there really since the books aren't there. They hesitate to make the books since the market isn't there, catch 22.

Anyway, I don't want to differ from the OP's topic, I haven't read Spider Island, so can't comment on the writing.

Funny, my main problem with marvel nowadays is the excessive violence, I mean I like violence in my comics, but that's way I read Walking Dead and Punisher Max, when it comes to the regular MU I prefer some lighter and simpler stuff.

Too bad we can't have both =P

But you can certainly have good writing without excessive violence. Check out my thread on the new Daredevil, it's gotten really good responses and the violence is relatively mild.

Personally excessive violence doesn't bother me. In fact, to me it adds to the realism because if super-humans were actually fighting it would be pretty bloody. Just imagine what it would really be like if Wolverine was slashing people with his claws, and compare that to the visuals in the movies and cartoons. Not so realistic.

Not speaking of Spider Island in particular, as I haven't read it, but part of the problem with kids and comic books is that there are only a few comic books that, in my opinion, are appropriate for the pre-teen crowd. I take my 6yr and 9yr old sons into our LCS and they have a small rack that are for kids. I think just about every mainstream Marvel/DC and most independents are made for teens at the youngest.

I think there may be a push to get more kids reading books, but it's tough as the market isn't there really since the books aren't there. They hesitate to make the books since the market isn't there, catch 22.

Anyway, I don't want to differ from the OP's topic, I haven't read Spider Island, so can't comment on the writing.

I agree. I took my daughter in to my LCS and asked what's good for kids. They had one small shelf near the register. And the problem with those is the dialogue was just a tad difficult for her reading level.

My suggestion to Marvel is, make two or three different lines and target them in every way to their respective age groups. Young children, young teens and then older teens+. Mark them as such. Have, say, a "Mature" label for the stuff geared toward adults, which will have mature content and serious writing.

Marvel does break down their line by age, the range is just very narrow I don't think anything is targetting the under 10 audience.

Mature - Max or Mature Content Label books (e.g. Wolverine Best there is)

Young Teen - Marvel Adventures line is down to only two titles but has been around since 2003; there does seem to be reprint material available for this line.

If the dialogue in the Adventure line is too tough go with the Gold Key/Harvey stuff in back issue bins - if looking for new stuff for her then Archie Digest stuff seems like a good choice also.

My 6 and 8 year old girls love the Art Baltazar Tiny Titans and Little Archie books. Humorous, not too over the top, and fairly easy for the kids to comprehend. If it weren't for those books, I don't think my girls would have any interest in comics (aside from a SpongeBob or two).