• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Short term investment - What do you buy?

54 posts in this topic

There's nothing that I would recommend as a short-term investment in comics.

I do think a knowledgeable collector could probably find something at a bargain price if they looked hard enough and that's probably the best way to make some money in such a short period of time.

I agree.

I am not really sure that there is a short term investment strategy for comics.

There are strategies for flipping comics, however.

Another would be Sgt. Fury 1. It's a hot book that is only getting hotter with each appearance of Fury in the Marvel movies.

Cool idea.

In the Marvel movie universe, Sgt. Fury and Nick Fury are completely unrelated, correct?

(guy in Cap movie vs. Sam Jackson's SHIELD general)

But if we're thinking classic comic lore, they're the same guy?

EDIT: I know Jackson appeared at the end of Captain America. But someone led the Howling Commandos in the film?

You need to read more comics, man. This is pretty basic Marvel universe stuff. Sgt. Fury was given something called the infinity formula which retarded his aging, hence why he is older but not super old when he was approached by Tony Stark to head up a new organization to fight terrorism called... S.H.I.E.L.D. (Supreme Headquarters International Espionage Law-enforcement Division). Recommend reading the insides of books like Strange Tales 135, Nick Fury 1, etc. Really awesome stuff. As for the movie, there is no Sgt. Fury in the Cap movie explicitly called out. Not in the movie I saw.

The awesome thing about comics, is that there is a whole story inside that the cover is wrapped around with all kinds of cool art and stories. Check it out. (thumbs u

The awesome thing about comics, is that there is a whole story inside that the cover is wrapped around with all kinds of cool art and stories. Check it out. (thumbs u

:applause:

I just like the pretty pictures.

Or you could pull a robo/bijo and buy a nice resto book and crack from the slab and sell as unrestored.

doh!

If we're going to be crooks, there are probably easier ways to make money than with comics. lol

BWAH-HA-HA!

That was a perfect use of the D'Oh! head-slap :D

Let's say you wanted to invest $2-5k in silver age comics.

You have to sell whatever you buy 1 year from now (or maybe a bit sooner).

I hate this premise. Whatever happened to collecting comics? You know, holding onto them for long periods of time and enjoying them, until well into the future they could possibly be sold for more money than you paid for them? Or maybe not?

Yes, some people can make money by turning over comics in a short time frame, but nowadays this is most often accomplished by upgrading (either with or without pressing). Mostly, though, it's a game of wild speculation to attempt to predict market changes for SA comics over a one year time period, and as such these comics shouldn't be treated as 'investments'.

You can buy 1 book, multiple books, or multiple copies of the same book.

It's obviously better to spend $2k and turn it into $2.5k than to turn $5k into $5.5k.

My gut reaction says the keys always have upside potential (X-Men 1, AF15, FF1, Showcase 4), but I think there's less upside there and creative answers are always more interesting.

I'd be tempted to go for an Avengers 4, a nice TOS 57, or maybe both.

I really hate that TOS 57 cover though. Yuck.

I've given this some more thought and I think you need to do the following to make the most money in a year:

Step 1: hire a private investigator

Step 2: assign the investigator to identify all comic book purchases made in the year by Bob Overstreet

Step 3: purchase the same as Bob

Step 4: enjoy your newfound wealth (thumbs u

I hate this premise. Whatever happened to collecting comics? You know, holding onto them for long periods of time and enjoying them, until well into the future they could possibly be sold for more money than you paid for them? Or maybe not?

Yes, some people can make money by turning over comics in a short time frame, but nowadays this is most often accomplished by upgrading (either with or without pressing). Mostly, though, it's a game of wild speculation to attempt to predict market changes for SA comics over a one year time period, and as such these comics shouldn't be treated as 'investments'.

Agree 100%. Even if someone here had the answer to your question, why would they share it?

Sorry, CR, but this dog just don't hunt.

Agree 100%. Even if someone here had the answer to your question, why would they share it?

Sorry, CR, but this dog just don't hunt.

Silly, the answer is you tell him it is whatever you are desperate to unload, and after you tell CR that, you then "reluctantly" offer that very book to him!

It's a time tested tactic used by many dealers over the decades.

Fantastic Four # 44 is going to be the next big one, I hear that they're going to make a Gorgon movie. :headbang:

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to part with one of my copies due to space considerations. :sorry:

Fantastic Four # 44 is going to be the next big one, I hear that they're going to make a Gorgon movie. :headbang:

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to part with one of my copies due to space considerations. :sorry:

FF #44! OMG! I've got to have it!!!!!! Name your price!!!!!! I'm having a blank check couriered to you right now, just fill it in with whatever you think is fair.

FF #44! OMG! I've got to have it!!!!!! Name your price!!!!!! I'm having a blank check couriered to you right now, just fill it in with whatever you think is fair.

Whatever Tim offers you I'll pay twenty bucks more... lol

Gorgon... damn! I'm always late to the party on these things. How am I ever going to get rich buying and selling comics? :tonofbricks:

Strange Tales #110

Get the nicest copy you can, but sit on it for at least two years. ;)

if by sit on it you mean press it higher, then I believe you have ^^ ow, not so sure :baiting:

Gorgon... damn! I'm always late to the party on these things. How am I ever going to get rich buying and selling comics? :tonofbricks:

Gotta have your finger on the pulse guys. Anyone else got a better offer? You'll never find another one again this decade. :taptaptap:

I've given this some more thought and I think you need to do the following to make the most money in a year:

Step 1: hire a private investigator

Step 2: assign the investigator to identify all comic book purchases made in the year by Bob Overstreet

Step 3: purchase the same as Bob

Step 4: enjoy your newfound wealth (thumbs u

Although I know you are kidding, I strongly doubt that this strategy will work anymore. I believe that Bob sold off his collection back in the mid 90's after building it up over a 40-year time period. I believe he lost interest after he had to give up half of his collection.

I don't believe he has gone back in since that time. hm

There's nothing that I would recommend as a short-term investment in comics.

We need to have 10 comic fans put up $5k a piece and see who can turn that into the most cash in twelve months.

Make a reality TV show out of it.

We'll call it Comic Wars.

I would tend to agreed with Adam as 1-year is just too short of a time frame to be thinking about making money on a comic book. Especially in today's market where you have to pay top dollar for anything that's of investment quality.

With respect to your Comic Wars show, with a 1-year time frame, I believe the winner would be the one who loses the least amount of money. hm

I have $1800 I would like to invest in a comic (I dont mind keeping it for 5-10 years or even keep for 40 years). Any suggestions?

I was thinking.

DD#1 (Only Silver Age complete run I read and I love this character)

The Incredible Hulk #1 (I always liked this character but are his stories good too?)

JIM #83 (I like the idea of this character)

Avengers #1 (First Silver Age comic I have ever read so some sentimental value)

Any suggestions to max out my $1800? I want to get one book closest to $1800. Maybe I can save an extra $100 each month to put into the $1800. Anything I should aim for?

Thanks

Dom