• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Short term investment - What do you buy?

54 posts in this topic

Let's say you wanted to invest $2-5k in silver age comics.

You have to sell whatever you buy 1 year from now (or maybe a bit sooner).

You can buy 1 book, multiple books, or multiple copies of the same book.

It's obviously better to spend $2k and turn it into $2.5k than to turn $5k into $5.5k.

My gut reaction says the keys always have upside potential (X-Men 1, AF15, FF1, Showcase 4), but I think there's less upside there and creative answers are always more interesting.

I'd be tempted to go for an Avengers 4, a nice TOS 57, or maybe both.

I really hate that TOS 57 cover though. Yuck.

Yep Avengers 1.

Avengers 4 seems to have picked up a lot of steam since the Cap movie came out (and before).

Another would be Sgt. Fury 1. It's a hot book that is only getting hotter with each appearance of Fury in the Marvel movies.

This auction for the Twin Cities Sgt. Fury 1 with white pages would be a smart investment in my opinion. Ends tonight.

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=121135&lotNo=10299#Photo

Another would be Sgt. Fury 1. It's a hot book that is only getting hotter with each appearance of Fury in the Marvel movies.

Cool idea.

In the Marvel movie universe, Sgt. Fury and Nick Fury are completely unrelated, correct?

(guy in Cap movie vs. Sam Jackson's SHIELD general)

But if we're thinking classic comic lore, they're the same guy?

EDIT: I know Jackson appeared at the end of Captain America. But someone led the Howling Commandos in the film?

It's obviously better to spend $2k and turn it into $2.5k than to turn $5k into $5.5k.

My gut reaction says the keys always have upside potential (X-Men 1, AF15, FF1, Showcase 4), but I think there's less upside there and creative answers are always more interesting.

If I had to sell it less than a year from now, $2-5K simply doesn't have the purchasing power to make this endeavour worthwhile.

If I had to sell it less than a year from now, $2-5K simply doesn't have the purchasing power to make this endeavour worthwhile.

Interesting thought. Feel free to chime in 'no limits' style.

Just don't say you want to buy a 9.6 AF15 :baiting:.

I agree that within a year isn't a long for the book to increase but i've seen it happen first hand.

I bought an Avengers 4 less than a year ago and sales indicate I could make a $600 profit on it. That's not too bad and it was a book I speculated would run up in value. But, my problem is I have a hard time selling when I probably should. But, I plan on keeping my major keys for years to come (hopefully not less than 5).

But, my problem is I have a hard time selling when I probably should. But, I plan on keeping my major keys for years to come (hopefully not less than 5).

I think that's half the fun of this topic.

I only buy what I'm into or plan to keep for a long time.

But let's pretend we're dirty speculators...

But, my problem is I have a hard time selling when I probably should. But, I plan on keeping my major keys for years to come (hopefully not less than 5).

Then I still stand my my post before and I think that Twin Cities Sgt. Fury is a book that will increase in value (especially the pedigree and the grade which isn't plentiful with white pages to boot). It's not my book just to clarify but I wish it was. I have a 3.5 with OW pages but that TC is nice! I bought my fury 1 with a little longer term speculation (3-5 years jumping in value).

Then I still stand my my post before and I think that Twin Cities Sgt. Fury is a book that will increase in value (especially the pedigree and the grade which isn't plentiful with white pages to boot). It's not my book just to clarify but I wish it was. I have a 3.5 with OW pages but that TC is nice! I bought my fury 1 with a little longer term speculation (3-5 years jumping in value).

That's one sweet book. I love white pages too.

I wish I was actually planning to put the suggestions in this thread to good use; your pick seems solid. It'll be fun to see what it ends at tonight.

Yep Avengers 1.

Avengers 4 seems to have picked up a lot of steam since the Cap movie came out (and before).

This auction for the Twin Cities Sgt. Fury 1 with white pages would be a smart investment in my opinion. Ends tonight.

I was the underbidder :sorry:

There's nothing that I would recommend as a short-term investment in comics.

I do think a knowledgeable collector could probably find something at a bargain price if they looked hard enough and that's probably the best way to make some money in such a short period of time.

Ugh. Sorry to hear.

There's nothing that I would recommend as a short-term investment in comics.

I do think a knowledgeable collector could probably find something at a bargain price if they looked hard enough and that's probably the best way to make some money in such a short period of time.

That's why it's a fun question. There's no easy answer.

We need to have 10 comic fans put up $5k a piece and see who can turn that into the most cash in twelve months.

Make a reality TV show out of it.

We'll call it Comic Wars.

If your looking to invest short term I think you can't just go for a single book etc your best bet is to snipe some books at good prices etc and go from there (slabbing if required).

Other ways would include resubbing a large key book (after a press if your into that).

Or you could pull a robo/bijo and buy a nice resto book and crack from the slab and sell as unrestored.

Or you could pull a robo/bijo and buy a nice resto book and crack from the slab and sell as unrestored.

doh!

If we're going to be crooks, there are probably easier ways to make money than with comics. lol

Yep Avengers 1.

Sorry to hear that. It was a sweet book!

Yep Avengers 1.

Sorry to hear that. It was a sweet book!

Eh, no worries. I considered my bid pretty weak so i didnt really think i would win. I was actually surprised that i was still winning as close to the end as i was. If i got it at the bid i had, i would have been happy but i didnt want it enough to go any higher. Somebody got a really nice book though (worship)

Oh well, with the money i saved, hopefully i can get a nice early Avengers that i still need :wishluck: