• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Short term investment - What do you buy?

54 posts in this topic

For the examples you gave 1800 dollars would only get you a very low grade book.I personally would add 100 dollars every month to that initial 1800 save up around 2K more to at least get mid grade examples.Out of the four books you listed Incredible Hulk #1 would be the best book to get,for 3400-3700 you could get a nice 3.5 CGC graded.

I would go for D.D. #1 last,it's been relatively flat growth wise for years.Hulk has been growing consistantly for years.

:eek: $3700

I am in my early 20s and in my last year of college. Hopefully when I start working I can easily set aside money for those books hehe. So Hulk #1 is to aim for then.

Thanks for the advice oakman (thumbs u

Yeah Hulk #1 is a big dog for sure,followed by JIM #83,Avengers#1 then D.D #1.My next grail book is going to be a mid grade JIM #83,but I already acquired the Hulk1 and Avengers1.D.D.1 is last in my search.

I need to acquire JIM 83,F.F.#1,X-Men #1,Showcase #4 then D.D#1 to get all the early big keys.Just doing it one book a year. :cloud9:

To the op question I say this.

For an investment, time being 1 year I would buy the following.

Avengers 4

Fury 1

JIM 83.

And dump them all when the Avengers movie comes out. I would likely buy multiples of each over 1 nicer copy. Strictly for a 1 year flip.

I have $1800 I would like to invest in a comic (I dont mind keeping it for 5-10 years or even keep for 40 years). Any suggestions?

I was thinking.

DD#1 (Only Silver Age complete run I read and I love this character)

The Incredible Hulk #1 (I always liked this character but are his stories good too?)

JIM #83 (I like the idea of this character)

Avengers #1 (First Silver Age comic I have ever read so some sentimental value)

Any suggestions to max out my $1800? I want to get one book closest to $1800. Maybe I can save an extra $100 each month to put into the $1800. Anything I should aim for?

Thanks

Dom

Get a JIM 83 or Avengers 1. You'll get the most bang for your buck. Hulk 1 is so expensive you won't get much for your money. DD 1 is a DuD.

I was the underbidder :sorry:

Ugh. Sorry to hear.

There's nothing that I would recommend as a short-term investment in comics.

I do think a knowledgeable collector could probably find something at a bargain price if they looked hard enough and that's probably the best way to make some money in such a short period of time.

That's why it's a fun question. There's no easy answer.

We need to have 10 comic fans put up $5k a piece and see who can turn that into the most cash in twelve months.

Make a reality TV show out of it.

We'll call it Comic Wars.

I'll play. I'll win, too.

If you love DD, buy it. It's for your collection anyway man. I mean it looks weird if you're a DD fan but you don't have a DD1 and have other books instead in your collection.

If you plan to sell something soon though, go with Avengers 1 or 4, not too costly and will surely go up. Or try ToS39, that thing is increasing its price at a crazy rate since the movies and we still have Avengers and IM3 to probably make it go up more.

Thanks! (thumbs u

You're most welcome, and it's a great choice book to get! :hi:

As you can gather, JIM#83 happens to be my all-time personal favourite book. I can still remember how thrilled I was when I finally acquired my copy way back in 1998. It's a raw VG+ since this was before CGC was founded. I'm still hoping to get a better copy, like at least a CGC 5.5 OW (or better) and not having to pay a ridiculously high price for it. However, I keep getting sidetracked by purchases I made for other major SA (and a few GA) key books along the way! :ohnoez:

Anyhow, here's something you might be interested in, if it's still available on C-Link:

Journey into Mystery #83 CGC 3.5 OW

Thanks! (thumbs u

You're most welcome, and it's a great choice book to get! :hi:

As you can gather, JIM#83 happens to be my all-time personal favourite book. I can still remember how thrilled I was when I finally acquired my copy way back in 1998. It's a raw VG+ since this was before CGC was founded. I'm still hoping to get a better copy, like at least a CGC 5.5 OW (or better) and not having to pay a ridiculously high price for it. However, I keep getting sidetracked by purchases I made for other major SA (and a few GA) key books along the way! :ohnoez:

Anyhow, here's something you might be interested in, if it's still available on C-Link:

Journey into Mystery #83 CGC 3.5 OW

I remember back in '99 or 2000, I got the Metropolis catalog, saw a JIM 83 listed in NM- and got right on the phone, deciding as I called "That's it. Time to man up and finally lay down some serious cash for a book." But I had been beaten to the punch. Never came close again. It might not have actually graded out at a 9.2 but I bet that even it was only an 8.5, I would have been paying a whole lot less then than I would now.