• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

closed

101 posts in this topic

Never thought the Sale thread could get so interesting...

Nice book at a decent price all things considered (thumbs u

GPA or no GPA, if someone REALLY wants the book, they'll purchase it. I know I would.

I'm torn on this one.

I'm usually against threadcrapping but this does seem a little shady.

Either leave gpa out or put it in but dont pick and choose which sales to quote to make it seem like a great deal when it actually was bought less than 2 weeks ago for almost 33% less than the asking price.

Definitely strikes me as a little shady. Acting like he didnt know about the sale of this book 2 weeks ago is just the icing on the cake (tsk)

I agree it's a bit shady to leave the bit out and then edit it back in. No doubt about it.

His mistake was including GPA in the first place...and not including all the info. Agreed

Although, the fact remains that if the price was too high...it wouldn't sell here. My opinion is that unless someone is breaking the rules in the forum I don't see the need to post about someone's price here. Again, a PM would have worked just fine to inform the seller first about the omission. If they didn't add it in after that...perhaps posting in here would be okay. Just my 2c

Not everyone has GPA. Many people would have accepted the GPA history he quoted. Informing him of the omission via PM would make sense to me if it were possible that he wasn't already aware of it, but he was the buyer, so the omission was intentional.

And I live in Southern California. We don't have basements.

:( So where do all you breadstick-armed nerds live? :confused:

Next time just post the book and the price you're asking without the sale pitch.

+1

Let interested buyers do their homework (which they will). I don't use GPA but certainly would run a google check or ask around.

I'm torn on this one.

I'm usually against threadcrapping but this does seem a little shady.

Either leave gpa out or put it in but dont pick and choose which sales to quote to make it seem like a great deal when it actually was bought less than 2 weeks ago for almost 33% less than the asking price.

Definitely strikes me as a little shady. Acting like he didnt know about the sale of this book 2 weeks ago is just the icing on the cake (tsk)

I agree it's a bit shady to leave the bit out and then edit it back in. No doubt about it.

His mistake was including GPA in the first place...and not including all the info. Agreed

Although, the fact remains that if the price was too high...it wouldn't sell here. My opinion is that unless someone is breaking the rules in the forum I don't see the need to post about someone's price here. Again, a PM would have worked just fine to inform the seller first about the omission. If they didn't add it in after that...perhaps posting in here would be okay. Just my 2c

Not everyone has GPA. Many people would have accepted the GPA history he quoted. Informing him of the omission via PM would make sense to me if it were possible that he wasn't already aware of it, but he was the buyer, so the omission was intentional.

And I live in Southern California. We don't have basements.

:( So where do all you breadstick-armed nerds live? :confused:

In our cars.

Look for suckers somewhere else. Cheap hucksterism is welcome on Ebay, but not here. If you intentionally mislead folks around here, which you did, you will get called on it every time.

:luhv:

This happened a couple of years back with someone on this board who quoted GPA prices for th book he was selling on the Sales Forum, but conveniently forget to mention his price on the book which he purchased in an auction site. The thread got pulled and he got the majority of the support from the board when the discussion went to the General Forum, but I remembered that specific Sales Thread just like it was yesterday, because I was there from the very first post before the Sales Thread was pulled by the mods.

Overstreet Guide is Over $4,000! This same grade sold for $2,990 in 2005, $3,346 in 2008 and, $2,898 in 2011, and $1,912 a couple of weeks ago.

Fixed it for you :thumbsup:

Great book!

Saw the same cert number in GPA when I checked those past sales, was wondering if someone would mention it :juggle:

It wouldn't have been a big deal if he had mentioned it in his initial post. Sometimes people get a deal and GPA registers it. Doesn't mean the book won't sell for more next time around.

He's now mentioned it in his OP, calling it an "anomaly."

He did neglect to mention that that "anomaly" was this very book.

;)

This happened a couple of years back with someone on this board who quoted GPA prices for th book he was selling on the Sales Forum, but conveniently forget to mention his price on the book which he purchased in an auction site. The thread got pulled and he got the majority of the support from the board when the discussion went to the General Forum, but I remembered that specific Sales Thread just like it was yesterday, because I was there from the very first post before the Sales Thread was pulled by the mods.

That could be a different situ, especially if the purchase were from a site that didn't report to GPA. What i think is so egregious in this case is the copious amount of GPA data and the intentional omission of the previous sale, which was also listed in GPA. That to me is different from someone getting a deal on C-Link and reporting GPA. In that case, the GPA data is accurate and the informed buyer should educate themselves on other sites if they are price conscious. In this case, the GPA data itself was intentionally misleading. Big difference.

That could be a different situ, especially if the purchase were from a site that didn't report to GPA. What i think is so egregious in this case is the copious amount of GPA data and the intentional omission of the previous sale, which was also listed in GPA. That to me is different from someone getting a deal on C-Link and reporting GPA. In that case, the GPA data is accurate and the informed buyer should educate themselves on other sites if they are price conscious. In this case, the GPA data itself was intentionally misleading. Big difference.

Nope. No difference. Just different whiners this time around.

TC33,

I have taken a LOT of flack for standing up against thread krapping, so I'm on your side in that regard.

With that being said, like it or not, if your purchase hit GPA then it hit GPA. You do not have to disclose that a particular purchase is yours. If the CGC serial numbers got posted on GPA, certainly people can figure it out. But as soon as you bring GPA into the mix they can figure that out anyway. Hell, even if you don't mention GPA at all, I would think most people buying a $2000+ book would check it themselves.

I do think someone should have PM'd you first before calling you out like that. Still, posting GPA records while omitting the most recent sale (which is considerably lower) comes across as deception. This is especially true the way you worded it, "$2,990 in 2005, $3,346 in 2008 and, $2,898 in 2011" Well, the sale for $1912 was also in 2011.

Many members have been frequenting these boards for much longer than I have. But from what I've seen sales threads on the CGC board are well protected from thread krapping. WTB threads, not so much and I think that should change. But that's another topic. 2c

Point taken on being more specific such as this is the 90 day, 12 month GPA etc. if I remember, I just threw out the values I had written down from my prior evaluation and did not explain them in great detail. Honestly, had I known GPA posted already, I probably would have mentioned that leaving out the high and low still gives you about an average $3K market value. I thought I might really be helping some people giving all my prior research that I had discovered just before the auction, but had I know people were so harsh and expect you to even list the insanely low bargain price I just paid and everything, I would had obviously never said anything and just posted the asking price! doh! Again, I admit I am a total newb to GPA (and these sales boards) and until now had no idea how GPA updating works and who reports to them etc. I was honestly surprised that it was updated already and I was not about to say hey everyone, this is the price I just got in a steal at $1K below market value!

Thanks all, sorry for all the back and forth rant, however mildly entertaining. My apologies if I offended anyone who I thought was being overly harsh. I might have taken the undue criticism a bit too personally when I fired back. I speak my mind when I think someone is attacking me for no good reason and it kind of felt like a couple people were trying to run me over with a freight train today when I would have appreciated a friendly PM, so I got a little upset!! :) Peace!

Point taken on being more specific such as this is the 90 day, 12 month GPA etc. if I remember, I just threw out the values I had written down from my prior evaluation and did not explain them in great detail. Honestly, had I known GPA posted already, I probably would have mentioned that leaving out the high and low still gives you about an average $3K market value. I thought I might really be helping some people giving all my prior research that I had discovered just before the auction, but had I know people were so harsh and expect you to even list the insanely low bargain price I just paid and everything, I would had obviously never said anything and just posted the asking price! doh! Again, I admit I am a total newb to GPA and until now had no idea how the updating works and who reports to them etc. I was honestly surprised that it was updated already or I would have just listed this 2 weeks ago. :) ha ha

Thanks all, sorry for all the back and forth rant, however mildly entertaining. My apologies if I offended anyone who I thought was being overly harsh. I might have taken the undue criticism a bit too personally when I fired back. I speak my mind when I think someone is attacking me for no good reason and it kind of felt like a couple people were trying to run me over with a freight train today, so I got a little upset!! :) Peace!

Like i said a few posts ago, GPA does not sit around waiting! Many, MANY times, they've had the info on books i've bought on their site the next morning :o

I forget the name of the guy who owns it but he definitely doesnt sit around scratching his like most of us waiting to enter new sales info (thumbs u

Point taken on being more specific such as this is the 90 day, 12 month GPA etc. if I remember, I just threw out the values I had written down from my prior evaluation and did not explain them in great detail. Honestly, had I known GPA posted already, I probably would have mentioned that leaving out the high and low still gives you about an average $3K market value. I thought I might really be helping some people giving all my prior research that I had discovered just before the auction, but had I know people were so harsh and expect you to even list the insanely low bargain price I just paid and everything, I would had obviously never said anything and just posted the asking price! doh! Again, I admit I am a total newb to GPA and until now had no idea how the updating works and who reports to them etc. I was honestly surprised that it was updated already or I would have just listed this 2 weeks ago. :) ha ha

Thanks all, sorry for all the back and forth rant, however mildly entertaining. My apologies if I offended anyone who I thought was being overly harsh. I might have taken the undue criticism a bit too personally when I fired back. I speak my mind when I think someone is attacking me for no good reason and it kind of felt like a couple people were trying to run me over with a freight train today, so I got a little upset!! :) Peace!

THE END. :golfclap:

Looks like I'm a little late to the party.

Look, TC33 has already admitted he was the guy who bought it from Heritage.

Therefore, even if the information was not "yet" reported in GPA, and there's no reason to believe it wasn't, TC33 already had this information because it was HIS purchase.

TC33 - no one cares what you price the book at. Price it at $1,000,000, and no one cares.

But to come along and try to present an incomplete picture of certain data, knowing full well that that data was available at a minimum to you, and then try to compare it to a "house down the street"...when, in fact, it was the "house" YOU just bought...is disingenuous.

It's dishonest, and speaks to your character.

If you want to flip a book you paid $2,000 for $2700, no one cares. If I buy a $30 book that i think is worth $200, I have no problem asking $200.

Just own it. Trying to cover your tracks does NOT bode well for you.

THE END. :golfclap:

apparently not :(

Hope the sequel brings in hot babes or cool shoot-outs or something. :popcorn: