• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet Grading Guide shipping this week

51 posts in this topic

According to the Diamond shipping list, the new Overstreet Grading Guide is shipping this week ($24.00).

I'm going to order or pre-order a copy from Amazon.com very soon. cool.gif

Everyone should go out & buy one.

No, no, no, let's keep the masses ignorant, so that we can overwhelm their tiny minds with our vast knowledge of how to grade! tongue.giflaugh.gif Besides what will we have to argue about in the Grading & Restoration forum? grin.gif The proper gloves to wear when handling comic books? blush.gif

I can't wait to get my hands on this puppy.

I'm also looking forward to reading it, in all it's full color glory!

Lighthouse has my back on this ! Great

And I promise to go easier on you than I did on Khaos... tongue.gif

I encourage everyone to pick up a copy of the Grading Guide at your local shop. It should give us a lot to talk about in the new year...

And for anyone who needs a copy and doesn't have a shop to support, I have plenty of extra copies available. For folks in the US, I offer 10% off with FREE UPS Ground shipping ($21.60 delivered). For all you foreigners, it's 35% off plus shipping.

Just drop me a PM and I can have a copy shipped out Thursday!

Besides what will we have to argue about in the Grading & Restoration forum? The proper gloves to wear when handling comic books? blush.gif

I'll have you know... that thread had more on-topic posts than any other on the comic forum that week... mad.gifmad.gif

But in the spirit of the season... here's wishing you and yours a happy and healthy holiday season... grin.gif

I'll have you know... that thread had more on-topic posts than any other on the comic forum that week...

'Tis true! We've done very well. Unfortunately, it seems, old ablue is back to his usual trolling ways.

Yes, I can't wait to read my OS Grading Guide. It will be a great reference and, surely, a discussion/arguement starter. Maybe, we can even help Arnold improve on what already is a fantastic book (from what I've seen).

BTW - Light, did I PM you w/ my "Y" review?

Chris

I just hope they sell enough of them to justify putting them out more than once a decade...

That's part of why I encourage people to order through their local shops if possible. If he knows he has a customer for a copy, he may order two... If not, he may order zero... Ultimately the hobby is better off if there are more shops carrying books like this on a perpetual stock model, rather than a periodical model. The only excuse for a comic shop not having a copy of Watchmen, Understanding Comics, Dark Night Returns, JTHM, SIP, Overstreet's Grading Guide, All in Color For a Dime, Preacher, Maus, or Sandman is that they sold their last copy last week and it's on reorder...

I've sold over a hundred copies of the Watchmen TPB in the last three years because I am NEVER sold out of it. The Grading Guide is not a book that you order hoping for 100% sell-through in a month, it's a book that should have a permanent spot on the shelf. Too many retailers are happy when they sell both copies of something and make $20. Good retailers look at the book, and plan to sell both copies twenty times...

And Chris... call me 'House if you're gonna abbreviate the name... After the times we've shared, you've earned the right... blush.gifand yes, I did get the review... thanks!

As the first edition proved, this is a book with a very long shelf life, and this second one was designed not as a simple update but as a book that would hopefully stand the test of time as well. There are certainly no plans that I am aware of to make this a more regular event. I can imagine it taking only, say, five years until another one, but not one or two. We expect this book to stick around a while.

Brian,

Check Amazon. They should have it.

I got my copy for Xmas, and I must say that it is fantastic. Arnold and Bob did a great job.

They show multiple pictures of books in each grade and note defects on each. Additionally, they showed copies of The Atom #25 in grades 9.0 down to 1.0 (excluding the .5's). Allowing the reader to see the same book in various grades was a great idea.

There were only two things that I thought were missing. I thought there should have been a little more of the book devoted to restoration and conservation. As we've seen on these boards, it is a hot topic. The other thing that I thought was missing, and this was the only real disappointment, was the absence of the OWL scale.

If you want to read more about the guide, Jamie (FF) wrote a really comprehensive review of the guide in a thread I posted in the Grading/Resto forum.

Hope you find a copy soon. Well worth the money.

Chris