• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age "Splash Pages"

52 posts in this topic

I searched far and wide, but could not locate a thread on Golden Age

splash pages. hm

To rectify that situation, I have started this thread.

From Superman #89 May 1954

SUPS_89SP.jpg

Don Winslow of the Navy # 50 October 1947

DONW_50S.jpg

Speed Carter Spaceman # 2 November 1953

This is what I would classify as an industrial strengh ROBOT.

SCS_2A.jpg

Agreed the CAP Golden Age splash pages are awesome. :applause: I went back and reran the search for "splash page", under Golden Age several times varying the time option, and did not find the previous Golden Age Splash page thread. hm

This splash page shows a coordinated air, ground and sea attack during the Korean War. Note the futuristic seaborne tank.

If memory serves me correctly the US had designed skirts to keep tank afloat for the invasion of Normandy. The rough seas prevented that from working very well however. A check showed the tanks at Omaha Beach fared the worst. Of 29 DD Sherman tanks launched, 27 sunk before reaching shore. The tanks were designed to work in waves about one foot high, but not in the 6 foot high waves on the day of the invasion.

Wings #114 Summer 1951

Wings_splash_114.jpg

Picture652.jpg

vibrant! sometimes i wonder how they managed to sell those for ten cents using that much ink.

Fiction House was so cheap they couldn't even afford to fully clothe their female stars. rantrant