• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS: Higher Grade Vintage Sci-Fi Paperbacks (& Hard Covers!)

98 posts in this topic

Some outstanding books.

Thanks. There are a lot more, but I am gauging interest. These rarely come up for sale in this sort of shape, so the market is a little "undefined".

Books from this era are tough to find in nice shape. Very sweet.

True. This batch of Avons came from a collection of a few 100 1950s to 1970s pbs I picked up several years ago. Really stunning. I had seen these books before, but never in this sort of shape. These are really cool and accessible collectibles (IMHO) and very scarce in nice shape.

I believe paperbacks are a great market for some fantastic(see above pics as examples!) & affordable items.

I see only seasonal collectability for these wildly over-hyped items. Unless it's Spring, Summer, Winter or Fall, I don't know when any one will find these of interest.

:jokealert:

Okay, how about some classics? (some cheaper ones too...)

Signet S1282 I, Robot by Isaac Asimov (1956)

robot.jpg

robotb.jpg

Light, general edge and corner wear, light reading crease. Solid and supple. Small neat pen notation on title page ("Signet - S1282")

$15

Did someone mention Aces? How about a few doubles by a guy named Philip K. ... these are from the late 1950s, early 60s (I know namisgr asked about 1950s... those will come soon!)

Ace Double D-457 Vulcan's Hammer by PKD / The Skynappers by John Brunner (1960)

This is a PBO ("paperback original"), meaning this is the 1st full published version of this PKD story.

vulcan.jpg

vulcanb.jpg

Light wear, minor color loss near spine. Light bends that barely break color. Solid spine and interior with supple, but creaming pages.

$30

Another PKD PBO (and his second published novel). This one's from the 1950s, too!

Ace Double D150 The World that Jones Made by PKD / Agent of the Unknown by Margaret St, Clair (1956)

jones.jpg

jonesb.jpg

General light wear and rubs. Solid, supple, but creaming interior. Minor bends and some color cracking along spine.

$40 :news: PENDING

Last PKD for now (but more coming!)

Ace D261 The Variable Man and Other Stories by PKD (1957)

This is also a PBO. One of the stories included is Minority Report, which of course was adapted into a feature film.

variable.jpg

variableb.jpg

Generalized light wear. Small tears at top and bottom spine corners. Supple, solid cream to off-white interior.

$30

Another PKD PBO (and his second published novel). This one's from the 1950s, too!

Ace Double D150 The World that Jones Made by PKD / Agent of the Unknown by Margaret St, Clair (1956)

General light wear and rubs. Solid, supple, but creaming interior. Minor bends and some color cracking along spine.

$40

:takeit:

$40

:takeit:

Done. Congrats!

Here are a few that are "end of the world" themed.. first up

Ace D-548 End of the World by Dean Owen (movie adaptation) (1962)

end.jpg

endb.jpg

Nice solid, supple example with very minor edge and corner wear. Small, net pen notation on title page ("D-548")

$25

Another "fun" early 1960s Atomic-Anxiety entry:

Ace D-530 The Day They H-Bombed Los Angeles by Robert Moore Williams (1961)

hbomb.jpg

hbombb.jpg

Generalized wear, rubbing, but solid and supple.Pencil price and notation on 1st page.

$20

A little earlier:

Dell 627 When Worlds Collide by Philip Wylie & Edwin Balmer (1952)

collide.jpg

collideb.jpg

Supple, solid and glossy. Some waving, likely due to glue shrinkage (not uncommon). Some corner creasing back cover.

$25