• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much does a small(ish) corner crease affect an otherwise 9.6 grade?

6 posts in this topic

I recently got a beautiful copy of Tales of the Zombie #6. The cover has all the original gloss, the staples are solid with no tears or pulling, one very faint stress line otherwise super spine, white pages - gorgeous! I would say it comes up to par with any CGC 9.6 magazines in my collection. Only thing is a damn crease on the back cover bottom left hand corner. It starts just under 1cm up from bottom left edge and joins the bottom edge about 1 cm in. If the mag was indeed otherwise 9.6, what would a crease like this take off the grade? I know that Overstreet mentions that you can get away with some bigger than usual defects in a given grade if there is a sufficient lack of other flaws relating to that grade. In fact, one of my CGC 9.6 Marvel Mags has a small piece out of the bottom left corner back cover and some of the inside pages (a production flaw found on many Marvel mags). Any views?

Without a scan and assuming the book was a 9.6, I'd say 9.2. I don't know how much they allow on Magazines since I don't own any graded copies, but it shouldn't go less than 9.2, and if it's hard to spot....maybe 9.4. Since you stated their was a stress line on the spine I'll stick with the overall 9.2 guestimate. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Does it break the color? If it's a hard crease with color loss that extends the full lenght of the crease (like the cover was folded over and sat there like that for a while), then it could go down below 9.0 I would guess. However, if it's just a light bend or non-color breaking bend, then you might be able to pull a 9.2 or even a 9.4.

Steve has said that it's not that absolute magnitude of the crease, but the relative magnitude of the crease when compared to the size of the book, so they wouldn't deduct as much for a 1/2" corner crease on a magazine as they would if it were on a modern comic.

A scan would help a lot.

Banner is close to the mark here - color-breaking creases are the death-knell of many otherwise NM+ comic books.

I would have to see the front cover and back cover before giving my "estimation" here.

CAL hi.gif

A scan would help a lot.

Banner is close to the mark here - color-breaking creases are the death-knell of many otherwise NM+ comic books.

I would have to see the front cover and back cover before giving my "estimation" here.

I can't get a scan just yet, save to say the crease is quite a hard crease on the back cover lower left corner, about 1cm in length, going from the left hand cover edge to bottom edge (i.e. a small triangular piece has been folded over). It does not look too bad as the back cover is one of those white 'La Salle' educational ads. If it were on the front cover, it is the sort of crease that would break colour. Thanks for all your replies guys.