• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This week in Sufunk's Pedigree Avengers collection

578 posts in this topic

If anyone other than me cares, I created a set just for the Pedigrees so that I could keep track of them easier.

sig.jpg

I don't have the most recent buys scanned yet but most of the scans are in the slideshow if anyone wants to check it out. Once I get my most recent buys in and scanned ill update it so all the Pedigrees are in the gallery.

Dude i have been pushing for pedigrees to get an icon for pedigrees. Just a little capitol P over where the description and picture icons are (and/or an S for SS). It would make picking them out at a glance a breeze. Noone ever has my back and gemma ignores it everytime i try to post it in the 'Ask CGC' forum.

Definitely I'll have your back on that!

I asked a while back and got a "the system isn't set up to do that" response from Gemma. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard for the registry to distinguish pedigrees but for whatever reason it apparently can't. It would definitely nice to have separate sets for them or at the very least to have some kind of designation next to them like you suggested.

beautiful, in spite of Don Heck.

I have to disagree here. For me Don Heck is one of the best pencilers ever. His female characters are almost unsurpassed. Recently I have re-read Iron Man Omnibus vol.1 and I am in awe with him (worship)

I have to disagree here. For me Don Heck is one of the best pencilers ever. His female characters are almost unsurpassed. Recently I have re-read Iron Man Omnibus vol.1 and I am in awe with him (worship)

Look at Namor on the Avengers #40 cover. I think I can do better.

hm Maybe if Namor was a girl, oh forget it.

I gotta agree with you on that Namor :sick:

He does do a pretty nice Hawkeye though. Certainly not one of my favorites but i cant say that i hate his work either. I'm biased since i love those early Avengers so much but he usually did a pretty good job imo. that Namor does look like he drew it 5 minutes before the deadline though hm

I asked a while back and got a "the system isn't set up to do that" response from Gemma. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard for the registry to distinguish pedigrees but for whatever reason it apparently can't. It would definitely nice to have separate sets for them or at the very least to have some kind of designation next to them like you suggested.

I'd like to see an icon for pedigrees as well, and the "system isn't set up" excuse doesn't really fly with me. They have a separate box for pedigree status on the individual screen for each book in the registry (see example below, sorry it is grainy), so how hard would it be to tie an icon to that box? If the box has a designation, then you get a P or something on the set listing. That would seem to be super simple to implement...

Pedigree.jpg

Good to see you back Jason! :hi:

He does do a pretty nice Hawkeye though. Certainly not one of my favorites but i cant say that i hate his work either. I'm biased since i love those early Avengers so much but he usually did a pretty good job imo. that Namor does look like he drew it 5 minutes before the deadline though hm

Yes, to Mr. Hecks credit, Hawkeye does looks good.

I'll give Heck the benefit of the doubt and HOPE that he was going for some kind of GA look on Namor on the #40 cover. Thats the only explanation for how bad that looks. I draw slightly worse than a retarded chimpanzee so i wouldnt say i could do better but my 9 year old daughter would definitely give him a run for his money on THAT Namor drawing (thumbs u

I'll give Heck the benefit of the doubt and HOPE that he was going for some kind of GA look on Namor on the #40 cover. Thats the only explanation for how bad that looks. I draw slightly worse than a retarded chimpanzee so i wouldnt say i could do better but my 9 year old daughter would definitely give him a run for his money on THAT Namor drawing (thumbs u

It's good to have you back.

Im ok with Don Heck. Some if not most of his work is presentable,but that cover

is bad.

I'd like to see an icon for pedigrees as well, and the "system isn't set up" excuse doesn't really fly with me. They have a separate box for pedigree status on the individual screen for each book in the registry (see example below, sorry it is grainy), so how hard would it be to tie an icon to that box? If the box has a designation, then you get a P or something on the set listing. That would seem to be super simple to implement...

Pedigree.jpg

Thanks! Good to be back!

I agree 100%! That little Pedigree box isnt even there for regular issues. Once you register a Pedigree, it thens pulls that box up in the description so it doesnt seem like it would be too hard to give it some distinction so they are easier to find.

I've also asked about them receiving more points in the registry since Pedigrees are almost always worth more than a regular issue. I got the same "the system isnt set up to do that" response ??? That doesn't seem to make much sense either since SS books are given more points. If SS books can receive more than Universals, how come Pedigrees cant as well?

I think the problem of more value and points for pedigree books is that some pedigrees are more valuable than others. Western Penn vs Boston or Susha vs northland...people put more value on other pedigrees than others

At least that's my understanding

I do think CGC should list pedigree books in the overall list

I think the problem of more value and points for pedigree books is that some pedigrees are more valuable than others. Western Penn vs Boston or Susha vs northland...people put more value on other pedigrees than others

True but its the same for sigs. Some sigs are definitely more valuable than others but no matter who signs it, its an SS book and worth whatever % more in the Registry. Just do the same thing for Peds. Give it a 10,15,20% or whatever bump regardless of the Pedigree.

It's good to have you back.

Im ok with Don Heck. Some if not most of his work is presentable,but that cover

is bad.

Other than Kirby's dabbling early on, Don Heck was the best Avengers artist -- until he was lapped by Big John and Sal, particularly John, who I consider THE Avengers artist.

True but its the same for sigs. Some sigs are definitely more valuable than others but no matter who signs it, its an SS book and worth whatever % more in the Registry. Just do the same thing for Peds. Give it a 10,15,20% or whatever bump regardless of the Pedigree.

And a multi-signed book doesn't get any additional points over a single signed book, even though you may be into that book for a serious chunk of change for signing fees and/or crack/resubs. And I'm not even necessarily worried about this for the money, but multiple signatures should get more points if we are going to award additional points for a yellow label.

Other than Kirby's dabbling early on, Don Heck was the best Avengers artist -- until he was lapped by Big John and Sal, particularly John, who I consider THE Avengers artist.

I agree with you 100% regarding Heck and John B. John was absolutely awesome! Although Kirby is one of the greats, I was never really impressed with his female characters. I swear you could take a Kirby Medusa, put shorter white hair on her head, and it would be Sue Storm. All the female characters he drew look the same to me. And the male characters to a lesser degree.

Pedigree.jpg

Thanks! Good to be back!

I agree 100%! That little Pedigree box isnt even there for regular issues. Once you register a Pedigree, it thens pulls that box up in the description so it doesnt seem like it would be too hard to give it some distinction so they are easier to find.

I've also asked about them receiving more points in the registry since Pedigrees are almost always worth more than a regular issue. I got the same "the system isnt set up to do that" response ??? That doesn't seem to make much sense either since SS books are given more points. If SS books can receive more than Universals, how come Pedigrees cant as well?

How about asking CGC if a "P" character can be added to the certification number string. It wouldn't be hard to add one character to that variable string, and either use a "P" or leave it blank. I used to be a programmer in HS and college, manipulating display output was fun and easy. I'm sure the programming 25 years later is different.