• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are there any black comic book collectors here?

49 posts in this topic

You should see my office. I have 16 Bowen statues in my office, along with about 40 other sports and comic related action figures.

And a big green puffy set of Hulk Hands. 15_1_101.gif

As long as we're telling stories..

I was walking down a hallway in a local State building in Santa Fe about a year ago. I glanced in an office on my way by and almost had a heart attack. There was a large wood desk (about 8x3) and all along the front and side edges of the desk were Bowen statues of just about every Marvel superhero you can think of. The guy was on the phone and I was in a hurry so we didn't have a chance to talk. I've always thought of going back there to introduce myself, but just haven't gotten around to it. I thought it was cool that he was "out of the closet" to that degree at work.

that's kind of an odd question....are you doing a study or compiling information?

besides...all comic collectors are the same on the inside.....GEEKS!

grin.gif

It started by thinking about the total lack of black comic book characters. Then about the lack of black comic book creators. Then I thought "What came first? The chicken or the egg?" Are there very few black collectors because there are very few black characters? Or is it the other way around?

You know, that is so true...most black heros are LAME. It would be a tad bit disheartening to be an african american trying to find a decent comic hero to follow. Black Panter, Falcon and Luke Cage were all "so-so" heros...what other prominent black superheros are there?

hmmmm...

That is one of the reasons I am a fan of the video game Halo...you never actually see the hero...he could be black, white, orange...it don't matter.

No, we have an entire floor of conference rooms for meeting with clients. They rarely come to my office, which is several floors away. The last time a client came to my office, it was one of the patent geeks from a big sports company, and all she said was "Sweet!" None of my colleagues ever says anything about it, although some of the other lawyers will bring their kids and grandkids around to check out the toys when the kids are visiting the offices.

so... football... have clients ever come in your office and been like what the--?!

so... football... have clients ever come in your office and been like what the--?!

well, if you are successful and have a bunch of comic stuff...you are a "collector". If you live at home after the age of 40 and collect comics...you're a nerd. Odd how that works wink.gif

There was an article in the WSJ recently about a lawyer in NYC who has an office full of comic book memorabilia. My girlfriend's mom sent it to me. When I read it, I kept thinking "I could hang out with this guy." thumbsup2.gif

well, if you are successful and have a bunch of comic stuff...you are a "collector". If you live at home after the age of 40 and collect comics...you're a nerd. Odd how that works wink.gif

There was an article in the WSJ recently about a lawyer in NYC who has an office full of comic book memorabilia. My girlfriend's mom sent it to me. When I read it, I kept thinking "I could hang out with this guy." thumbsup2.gif

exactly.

The one thing I have learned is that people don't fit the typical stereotypes any more. I am a huge computer nerd, but I look like a parolee more than a computer nerd. The last trade show I went to ( E3 Electronic Entertainment Expo in LA ) people thought I was a bodyguard for the people I was with....Ugh! 893frustrated.gif

I have a lot of nerdy stuff, like autographed games and such displayed in my office and people always think they belong to my son. I start talking about comics and the jaws really drop.

If your attorney is kick4ss, who cares what he has displayed in his office. thumbsup2.gif

No, the fact that I'm not a geek erases the geek stigma. tongue.gif

That's great you are so upfront about it. It kinda erases the geek stigma if kids from other workers want to visit the lawyer's office for fun. 27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gif

I liked you better when you talked less and posted more pictures of Asia. tongue.gifstooges.gif

It's OK bro...you can tell us wink.gif We are all friends here tongue.gif

That's what I was saying. Is everyone on here so DAMN sensitive? tongue.gif

That's great you are so upfront about it. It kinda erases the geek stigma if kids from other workers want to visit the lawyer's office for fun. 27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gif

Well, my avatar is black........ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Funny you should mention that.

When I first joined these forums, seemed like everybody had Tupac Shakur avatars! I knew on some level it was a put-on, but to this day, I still think of many of the regulars here (RickyDogg, Pimpy, Darth) as African-Americans!!! 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif893frustrated.gif

Because I hate you. tongue.gifstooges.gifacclaim.gif

That's what I was saying. Is everyone on here so DAMN sensitive? tongue.gif

I liked you better when you talked less and posted more pictures of Asia. tongue.gifstooges.gif

For God's Sake, Man! Don't encourage him. For every pic of Asia he posts 50+ butter-faces! 893whatthe.gifsumo.gifwink.gif

For God's Sake, Man! Don't encourage him. For every pic of Asia he posts 50+ butter-faces! 893whatthe.gifsumo.gifwink.gif

what is a butter-face? confused.gif

Funny you should mention that.

When I first joined these forums, seemed like everybody had Tupac Shakur avatars! I knew on some level it was a put-on, but to this day, I still think of many of the regulars here (RickyDogg, Pimpy, Darth) as African-Americans!!! 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif893frustrated.gif

hey! mad.gif i never had a brother man as my avatar. confused.gifconfused-smiley-013.giftongue.gif