• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No Cover = Which Issue?!?!?!

12 posts in this topic

you may have some luck using the Grand Comics Database especially for the one you know the title on. The GCD will give you the stories in each issue in most cases.

I was able to look up some GA centerfolds I had using the GCD, it took a little time, but I had success.

you may have some luck using the Grand Comics Database especially for the one you know the title on. The GCD will give you the stories in each issue in most cases.

I was able to look up some GA centerfolds I had using the GCD, it took a little time, but I had success.

Scan anyway. I enjoy figuring out what issue it is. Unfortunately, a lot of golden age stories have not been indexed or they don't have a real title. Sometimes you have to go through the whole book to figure it out. Many titles are obscure.

By the way, back when I was buying and selling a bit more, I sold many books very cheaply because I couldn't figure out whether they were complete or what issue they were if they didn't have a cover. I wish I had waited until I had access to the GCD. Back then, you were only given access if you were a contributor. I sent in a lot of information and scanned a couple hundred golden age comics but never got on their list. Then the policy changed and everyone was given access. Thanks guys for making it all available to fans.

Golden Age Comics also provides free digital copies to fans which are good for reading or identification of the issues.

bb

Looking through the issues might identify them. If they have house ads with coupons

(like ads to join the Junior JSA), the ad often has an identification of the title & issue

number (AA 35 for All American 34). If it has the publication annual report, that includes

a date (often in October), the title is given and the issue would be one with a cover

date of Jan or Feb of the next year. House ads can identify the month and year of

publication. (If you cannot read the info on the ad, look the picture up in your

Gerber photo index.)

Much can be done without using the internet. The internet may be faster but it

does eliminate much of the challenge.

Looking through the issues might identify them. If they have house ads with coupons

(like ads to join the Junior JSA), the ad often has an identification of the title & issue

number (AA 35 for All American 34). If it has the publication annual report, that includes

a date (often in October), the title is given and the issue would be one with a cover

date of Jan or Feb of the next year. House ads can identify the month and year of

publication. (If you cannot read the info on the ad, look the picture up in your

Gerber photo index.)

Much can be done without using the internet. The internet may be faster but it

does eliminate much of the challenge.

Thanks - I'm hoping to go through them before Saturday. (thumbs u

I'm really excited about the MFC #77. I NEVER thought I'd own a GA SPECTRE appearance!!! :whee:

Too bad there's a biiig chunk missing from the last page, which happens to be part of the SPECTRE story. Hey, better than nothing, right?

I think the price I paid for these was a steal... I hadn't even really gone through them until now.

Thanks for referring me to the GCD gang! (thumbs u