• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT- Any artists here? People that like to draw comics?

70 posts in this topic

What is your day job, or do you get to work with comics all the time? 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif Sorry, just my inner child feeling a bit jealous. The moment is past.

In case anyone is wondering, I do actually have some credits as an inker and, I believe, upcoming ones as a colorist.

And in case anyone was wondering, I do know who the Swamp Thing is. He's the guy who has had far better writing in his "lifetime," but would get his [!@#%^&^] kicked by the Man-Thing if they ever fought. smile.gif

That is a really cool concept, Rob, and excellent artwork. I have been playing around with an Elektra story for a while, and although I'm nowhere near the artist you are, I think it'd be fun to give this a try.

Can I get a copy of the book when you print it, or just check out the artwork online somewhere?

It'll eventually be on the web and I am going to print up some zine-quality copies, so yes and yes.

24 hour comic day was a blast. It was the first sequential art I'd done in probably 5 years, so doing it with an impossible deadline was great. No worries about anything, I just had to draw. There was very little room for an internal editor. thumbsup2.gif

I did it solo, but some people do it in groups at participating shops. I might try that next year, that way I won't be tempted to sleep.

That is a really cool concept, Rob, and excellent artwork. I have been playing around with an Elektra story for a while, and although I'm nowhere near the artist you are, I think it'd be fun to give this a try.

Can I get a copy of the book when you print it, or just check out the artwork online somewhere?

It'll eventually be on the web and I am going to print up some zine-quality copies, so yes and yes.

24 hour comic day was a blast. It was the first sequential art I'd done in probably 5 years, so doing it with an impossible deadline was great. No worries about anything, I just had to draw. There was very little room for an internal editor. thumbsup2.gif

I did it solo, but some people do it in groups at participating shops. I might try that next year, that way I won't be tempted to sleep.

That sounds like exactly the way I work best. Wait until there is no slack time left, then bust @ss for 18-48 hours in a row until I'm done with whatever I'm doing. I am going to give this a try next time I'm on vacation. (My girlfriend may kill me, but she's been looking for some free time to write on her own, so maybe she'll like the idea.) This is gonna be tons of fun!

Definitely put me down for a copy of the book when you print it up. I had fun reading the first two pages and would love to read the rest.

What is your day job, or do you get to work with comics all the time? 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif Sorry, just my inner child feeling a bit jealous. The moment is past.

No, comics are purely for fun, in whatever spare time I can scratch out. I've recently started doing more of it, but not with any real purpose other than to enjoy myself. The comics industry, on that side, is even more screwed up than the collector community, so trying to make a living at it is not a really attractive option. The creative bits obviously are, but the reality of it is oftentimes ugly.

Web design/development pays my bills.

Killer art, Rob! thumbsup2.gif

I like your indie stuff.

Some of the best reads printed are not mainstream.

I would be interested in seeing (and reading) the whole story.

893applaud-thumb.gif

No, comics are purely for fun, in whatever spare time I can scratch out. I've recently started doing more of it, but not with any real purpose other than to enjoy myself. The comics industry, on that side, is even more screwed up than the collector community, so trying to make a living at it is not a really attractive option. The creative bits obviously are, but the reality of it is oftentimes ugly.

Web design/development pays my bills.

Well, you've inspired me to sit down and actually do up a comic book of my own, just for fun. Can't wait to read the rest of your story. thumbsup2.gif

Nice work everyone! I really like that grouping of everyone under the sun liek hrpufnstuf & force commander. This website link is horribly out of date, but you can see some things there shiver bones website

and some of my other types of paintings are here netwt.org

i'll try to find some comic art, those sights don't really show that...

That sounds like exactly the way I work best. Wait until there is no slack time left, then bust @ss for 18-48 hours in a row until I'm done with whatever I'm doing. I am going to give this a try next time I'm on vacation. (My girlfriend may kill me, but she's been looking for some free time to write on her own, so maybe she'll like the idea.) This is gonna be tons of fun!

Definitely put me down for a copy of the book when you print it up. I had fun reading the first two pages and would love to read the rest.

It's actually pages three and five. The missing page four explains why things turn topsy turvy. I had to leave some suspense 27_laughing.gif

I can't recommend the 24 hour thing enough. Personally, I can't wait to try again since I failed the pure challenge this time.

i like the idea rob, i did a 16 pager over a night when i was in high school that still stands as one of the most odd & funny things i did 893applaud-thumb.gif Show us more!

More info on the event is available here:

24 Hour Comics dot com

As for the rest, the whole book will be on the web shortly. For a more comfortable reading experience, unless they're outrageously expensive, anyone attending the Philly can get a hard copy from me at the show. As a bonus, I'll probably be giving them away thumbsup2.gif

Where did you get published? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah, I like to draw comics. I've even had the pleasure of being published once or twice but unfortunately I had to get a real job that paid money for a living. blush.gif

Fantagraphics, Aardvark-Vanaheim, Everyman Studios, etc. Thanks for asking! smile.gif

Cool! Which issues in particular? I wanna check them out!

Where did you get published? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah, I like to draw comics. I've even had the pleasure of being published once or twice but unfortunately I had to get a real job that paid money for a living. blush.gif

Fantagraphics, Aardvark-Vanaheim, Everyman Studios, etc. Thanks for asking! smile.gif

I'm an artist, and was even an art teacher for a couple years. I enjoyed using superheroes in my classes for children because the skin tight outfits allowed them to learn anatomy without drawing naking figures. Here is some of my work... first, a picture of Samaritan that I used to show basic building blocks of a figure:

Samaritan.jpg

Next, a picture of Green Lantern that I drew, and took to a con to get as many GL artists as I could to sign. (I drew Alan Scott because Mart Nodell was at the con)

AlanScottsm.jpg

Here's a sketch of hobgoblin...

Hobgoblin.jpg

Finally, here is a character I created many years ago that I've always thought looked pretty cool...

Old_Soldiers_recol.jpg