• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT- Any artists here? People that like to draw comics?

70 posts in this topic

Have you been published?? You should be from what I see. Awesome Artwork!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Seriously...that's a lot better stuff than most of the schlocky art that Marvel puts out these days. shocked.gif

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the vote of confidence. I've never done comics, but I've illustrated a few RPG game books and pdfs. I've shown my work at a few cons, and usually get the "nice work, but you aren't quite there yet" spiel. The funny thing is that what one person criticizes, another says is my best work, and vice versa. Only once I was offered a job... it was with a small independent company, but it went bankrupt just a couple months later (before I did any work for them, thank goodness.)

Here are a couple more, since you liked the others... This picture was a commission for someone. It is a character they created, called "The Woman Without a Heart. She is a vampire hunter who is undead herself.

Woman_revised.jpg

This is a new costume I created for the classic JLA villian Amazo. I always hated his green and brown 50's bathing suit costume... something in black leather like this would be much more modern and intimidating.

Amazo_mini.jpg

Finally, here is a quick sketch I did of the Shadow. I know his nose looks huge in this picture, but that is usually how he's drawn...

Shadow.jpg

Your style reminds me a lot of the guy (Kent Burles I think his name is) who did the interior artwork for the 1980s sword & sorcery series "The Adventurers". It's definitely a departure from what Marvel or DC is putting out these days, but I wonder if you couldn't find your niche somewhere in the indie comics world. Good luck!

Here are a couple of pages from the 24 hour comic day book I did this past weekend. For those of you unfamiliar with the concept it's a challenge where you're supposed to write/ draw/ letter an entire book in 24 consecutive hours. I actually fell short of the goal. I had a completely drawn and basically scripted book done at midnight with most of the lettering left to go. I miscalculated and slept frown.gif

Anyway these are two representative pages from the sometimes incoherent (in a fun way) story. I'll be giving the completed book away in Philly if I can get them printed cheap enough.

Rob,

Did you have any of these left? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

There's some very impressive work here.

I started drawing superheroes when I was a kid in the 70's. I'd usually take a comic and try to recreate a superhero on it. As unimaginative as that sounds, I think it helps re-inforce the fundamentals. (Getting an idea of muscle structure, etc.) Had to have the "How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way" back then also. (Plus I've got some good human anatomy books.)

Due to finances, I had to turn down a partial scholarship to the Columbus College Of Art & Design back in 1984. (Couldn't get aid yet the school was very expensive.) Ended up at the University Of Toledo and pretty much gave up any art career. I still sketch a bit, yet over the last 20 years I pretty much dabbled in charcoal and have tried for the last 10 years to concentrate on oil painting when I find time.

I remember back in the 70's being told that the pay for comic book artists was pretty crummy and it was pretty grueling work. I have no regrets though. The way i view it, if I had managed to go to the Art School, I wouldn't have met my wife nor had our 2 children. I have the bad tendency to doodle superheroes while on the phone at work.

It's funny about the Amazo picture. I've also tried the same thing, though not using leather. I really should concentrate more. I did get a chance to pencil some Mike Grell pages for practice about 9 years ago. But I didn't take it seriously or spend enough time.

Here are a couple of pages from the 24 hour comic day book I did this past weekend. For those of you unfamiliar with the concept it's a challenge where you're supposed to write/ draw/ letter an entire book in 24 consecutive hours. I actually fell short of the goal. I had a completely drawn and basically scripted book done at midnight with most of the lettering left to go. I miscalculated and slept frown.gif

Anyway these are two representative pages from the sometimes incoherent (in a fun way) story. I'll be giving the completed book away in Philly if I can get them printed cheap enough.

Rob,

Yeah... I can send one off next time I hit the post office.

Rob,

Yeah... I can send one off next time I hit the post office.

Sweet. Let me know what I owe you.