• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How long should I wait??? - Buyer disclosed

117 posts in this topic

My whole intention was to find out if I was in the right (according to Board rules) to back out and list this book with other books on Ebay tonight. Since the buyer finally responded, I see that I can.

Now the next question is.. Since the buyer made me hold the book for almost 90 days (not 60 like a few of you have stated) should he be put on the Probation list to let my fellow boardies know to watch out for this buyer. Im not that upset about the deal falling through, but I feel somewhat obligated to warn fellow boardies.

Yes, please do. $400 is not lunch money, and it would be best to know who not to deal with.

But it would have to be a ballsy non-paying member to turn around a recommend Dan to the probation list :screwy:

Granted, but there always exists the possibility for legitimate circumstances, which is why the 30 day rule exists. Both buyer AND seller deserve that protection, even if, on the face of it, it appears like the buyer has flaked.

He would have been, as others have mentioned, better off to have taken a deposit.

Spider-Dan said, in his original post, that he didn't want to tarnish his rep here, which directly relates to the Probation list, despite Boomtown's dismissal of it. Dan wanted to do the right thing as it pertains to the board, and that entails following the probation list rules.

Where do I start the proccess to request someone be put on the PL. I found the Probation threads, but they are a little unclear to me. I dont want to drag someones name through the mud in this forum

If you don't feel that strongly about it, don't do it.

You don't have to put them on the Prob list, and only you can do it.

It would be nice if you named them here, but you don't even have to do that.

It's totally up to you. If you do, all you have to do is list the particulars in the prob discussion thread.

Well given this new turn of events there DEFINITELY needs to be changes to the Board rules.

Like several have mentioned, its plain silly to expect a seller to hold a book for ANOTHER 30 days after the seller has held the book for 90 days and hasn't seen a penny out of the transaction.

Where do I start the proccess to request someone be put on the PL. I found the Probation threads, but they are a little unclear to me. I dont want to drag someones name through the mud in this forum
My personal opinion is that if you feel that strongly you should be holding onto the book for completion of the deal so that the non-paying buyer has a path to resolve his problem with you. The reason you are nominating is to:

a) complete the transaction

b) inform the community

A nominations by a dealer who has sold a book & makes the nomination weeks or months after are generally sour grapes/bad feelings between buyers/sellers. I'm not saying that in relation to your issue but others on the PL, as far as I'm concerned your deal has just been "sour" for a few days/Sept 1st.

As RMA said it is your call entirely whether to nominate.

Well given this new turn of events there DEFINITELY needs to be changes to the Board rules.

Like several have mentioned, its plain silly to expect a seller to hold a book for ANOTHER 30 days after the seller has held the book for 90 days and hasn't seen a penny out of the transaction.

Sigh.

If you'd really like to bring it up, it can be discussed here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3267425&fpart=440

But it would have to be a ballsy non-paying member to turn around a recommend Dan to the probation list :screwy:

One time my car was rear-ended while stopped at a red light by an old man. We exchanged information, but I later had a change of heart and didn't report it (a couple more scratches on a beat up old Mustang weren't worth the bother). The old guy did report it, and since I didn't, I was ruled against by default even though my car wasn't even moving at the time. Took a year to get that off my driving record. Lesson learned.

My personal opinion is that if you feel that strongly you should be holding onto the book for completion of the deal so that the non-paying buyer has a path to resolve his problem with you.

I agree with this completely.

The buyer said he backed out, but even still, I'd give them the 30 days just on principle.

You are not obligated in any way to do that, but it seems the gentlemanly thing to do. No one will fault you regardless of which path you choose.

Sigh.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3267425&fpart=440

You really think its acceptable for someone to have to wait 120 because of a non paying buyer? He was given 90 days to pay...why make them continue to wait? It would be one thing if the buyer was like I need till the end of the week etc but instead he is just saying nah I don't want it now.

One time my car was rear-ended while stopped at a red light by an old man. We exchanged information, but I later had a change of heart and didn't report it (a couple more scratches on a beat up old Mustang weren't worth the bother). The old guy did report it, and since I didn't, I was ruled against by default even though my car wasn't even moving at the time. Took a year to get that off my driving record. Lesson learned.

This doesn't make sense. At least in CA motor vehicle code, the person who hits from the rear is always at fault. What possible reason could the old man have given that would have caused you to be at fault in any way....? Is it different in (I'm assuming) Mass...?

hm

Sigh.

You really think its acceptable for someone to have to wait 120 because of a non paying buyer? He was given 90 days to pay...why make them continue to wait? It would be one thing if the buyer was like I need till the end of the week etc but instead he is just saying nah I don't want it now.

1) The 30-Day Rule:

b) If the transaction is agreed on by both parties to take longer than 30 days - for example, a transaction involving time payments over a longer time, the 30 day clock begins from the time the agreed upon conditions were violated.

Sigh.

1) The 30-Day Rule:

b) If the transaction is agreed on by both parties to take longer than 30 days - for example, a transaction involving time payments over a longer time, the 30 day clock begins from the time the agreed upon conditions were violated.

I would think that rule would apply when one is unable to get in touch, or get a response from the other party. Then give him 30 days to respond. In this case there has been a response. Case closed. Why wait another 30 days?

Sigh.

1) The 30-Day Rule:

I would think that rule would apply when one is unable to get in touch, or get a response from the other party. Then give him 30 days to respond. In this case there has been a response. Case closed. Why wait another 30 days?

c) The 30-day rule is suspended if the accused refuses to complete the transaction or if the transaction cannot be completed due to, for example, the item being sold to someone else.

:)

Sigh.

1) The 30-Day Rule:

I know the rules and could have easily copied them here too.

The rules are to both protect the buyer and the seller correct?

If so, then a seller allowing a buyer to make time payments is doing the buyer a favour, after 30+ days (since the transaction was to take a minimum of 30 days). There is no reason other than on the sellers behalf to either allow them to take additional time or refund the money paid to them thus far etc...why should we ask sellers to wait 60+ days for a transaction to be completed to which they were kind enough to allow a time payment in the first place.

Sigh.

That's the risk sellers run when accepting time payments without a non-refundable deposit but September 1st is the only date that counts for the PL. Sure SD has had to hold the book for some time awaiting payment but that's what he agreed to do.

In three months o' summer there's lots of priorities that can jump ahead of comic books. :devil: