• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color Touch or Printing Defect

23 posts in this topic

On the left side of the book in line with the Green Lantern's ring, there is a dark yellow almost mustard colored spot, which isn't on other books. Also, the white motion line above the spot has a rough appearance to it while the rest of the book is smooth. The dark yellow color also appears in small lines under the foot that is above the yellow spot. on I think it has a color touch, but I would appreciate a second opinion. Justice League of America 30 Front I got this book as a F+ from a friend of mine, and didn't see it until I got home.

Thanks in advance,

Chip

Looks like Amateur CT to me, but I'm not familiar with that book. Is there any bleed-through on the inside of the comic? That'd pretty much confirm it.

On the left side of the book in line with the Green Lantern's ring, there is a dark yellow almost mustard colored spot, which isn't on other books. Also, the white motion line above the spot has a rough appearance to it while the rest of the book is smooth. The dark yellow color also appears in small lines under the foot that is above the yellow spot. on I think it has a color touch, but I would appreciate a second opinion. Justice League of America 30 Front I got this book as a F+ from a friend of mine, and didn't see it until I got home.

Thanks in advance,

Chip

Thanks in advance,

Chip

If it is where I think I am lookiong, looks like the magenta plate lost something along the way. If what I am looking at is what you are talking about, printing error.

I think you're looking at the hickey in the background above GL.

Scroll down a bit and look at the spine.

Looks like it could be a color touch.

Look on the inside of the cover and see if the color has bled into it.

If so, it was probably a touch up with a yellow marker.

Yep. And especially the way he says the surface is "rough, not smooth like the rest of the cover." When I was a kid, my friends and I used to color in spots on our comics with markers and they'd get like that. Sounds and looks like amateur color touch to me.

Ahhh! Thanks Dice blush.gif

Hmmm - that certainly is smoothly darker. No sign of dot pattern. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I tend to agree with ya. Maybe not a "yellow" marker - yellow would be dashed hard to spot in a scan but maybe a "gold" or ":dark yeloow" type marker? (mustard?)

At any rate - thumbsup2.gif

I just blew it up in Photoshop and there are no magenta dots in the spot.

I think it's a color touch.

Or a mustard stain. 893whatthe.gif

But, if you can clean a book with Wonder Bread and it not be considered to be restored...Can you do color touches with condements?

It's all food products, ya know.

I think I'm gona go burn some toast so I can touch up some of my comics that have black covers. gossip.gif

I held the book to to the light, and did not see any bleed through, but I did see that the rough spot I mentioned was a lot thinner (more transparent) than the rest of the book. If the Magenta plate did get stuck, is it possible that it rubbed along the book and if so how would CGC grade the missing section as a printing defect or just missing cover? If you can't see the missing section, then it is right above the spot and goes up to right below the top action line and extends left to right between the action line in the middle. How does this kind of abrasion affect the grade?

Thanks,

Chip

467346-Pic.JPG.65e5e7ce5f92f5b6d74db7cff31ac0a7.JPG

that's me scott so you and other forumites attending the WC will know what i look like if you're on the floor. gossip.gifthumbsup2.gif no devil beard though, just a flava sava now. devil.gifhi.gif

Flava Sava Bo Sava

Bannana Fanna Foe Sava

Fee Fie So Sava

Sava!

If it is abraded, it would not take off the magenta witout taking the yellow with it.

It may have been scuffed and touched up with acrylic paint.

This would not show bleed through to the inside of the cover.

If it is abraded, it would not take off the magenta witout taking the yellow with it.

You betcha. Love this kind of tawk! thumbsup2.gif

I'll bet you've even seen a new pressroom guy sent in looking for the "plate stretcher".

27_laughing.gif

I'll bet you've even seen a new pressroom guy sent in looking for the "plate stretcher".

27_laughing.gif

Thanks for the beverage spillage all over my tummy! 893naughty-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif

Thanks for the beverage spillage all over my tummy! 893naughty-thumb.gif

blush.gifangel.gif

If it is where I think I am lookiong, looks like the magenta plate lost something along the way. If what I am looking at is what you are talking about, printing error.

I'm not sure I'm looking at the right area either, but couldn't these be stains from fingerprint smudges? Mrtester, can you post another scan with an EXTREME closeup of only the area in question, preferrably around 600 to 1200 dpi?

I'm fairly confident that this is a color touch.

1 - There is no four-color dot matrix pattern

2 - There is another thin touch at the tip of GL's right foot (angles down).

3 - There appears to be several touches along the spine in the darker orange area. There is an obvious touch to the left of the DC logo and to the lower left of the 12 cent mark there are several small touches. Here you can see they tried to cover transverse spine creases.

4 - There may be a touch at the top staple stress

I don't like how the spine stress on the foot at the spine appears to "disappear" in the black area and on the spine, but magically appears in the green area of the foot. Black touches are easy to do and tough to spot, and typically spine stresses are most severe right on the spine, not farther out as this one appears to do?