• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bid strategy for ComicLink?

79 posts in this topic

Yes, there is. It counts down the seconds once you get Inside 10 minutes I think. Definitely the last few minutes. Like I said, it's a little tight on back to back books but as long as you're fairly prepared, you have plenty of time.

I always print out the GPA info on the books I am bidding on and have them laid out with my max bid written on it since you definitely won't have time to be searching on gpa. You don't even need multiple windows open. Once one ends, click right on the next book, look at your sheet and put in your max bid. I almost always even have enough time to raise myax bid if I need/want to.

Thanks, very helpful!

I see you like high grade Avengers. I saw this one during my key search and it is so so temping to make an offer! An absolute beaut!

But I'm just focused on getting a key right now I don't want to get distracted by a shiny near perfect cover.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320754326851?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Edited by USArmyParatrooper

Since most Comic Link (non-auction) items are listed as ridiculous Asking Prices, has anyone had any luck submitting real market bids. Say the asking price is $500 for a book that should sell at $300. Is it a total waste of time even to submit a bid, and better just to wait to see if it gets put up to an auction?

And can it safely be assumed that if there's a ridiculous bid submitted on an even more ridiculous asking price that the bid is something less than legit?

Since most Comic Link (non-auction) items are listed as ridiculous Asking Prices, has anyone had any luck submitting real market bids. Say the asking price is $500 for a book that should sell at $300. Is it a total waste of time even to submit a bid, and better just to wait to see if it gets put up to an auction?

And can it safely be assumed that if there's a ridiculous bid submitted on an even more ridiculous asking price that the bid is something less than legit?

You're the one that has to define ridiculous, as there will always be deeper-pocketed fish sometimes swimming in the same waters you are.

You're the one that has to define ridiculous, as there will always be deeper-pocketed fish sometimes swimming in the same waters you are.

Oh, there are countless fish swimming around with way deeper pockets than me. But does that mean they're willing to pay double GPA?

stroszek, I've seen quite a few with "sale pending", so it seems offers are being taken.

Oh, there are countless fish swimming around with way deeper pockets than me. But does that mean they're willing to pay double GPA?

stroszek, I've seen quite a few with "sale pending", so it seems offers are being taken.

Yes - if you have money, sometimes, you don't care.

I know you guys are probably tired of hearing me say this over the years

(thumbs u :baiting:

Soft end times for items would lead to increased values on items, increased buyer's premiums, and more satisfied buyers!

Why would buyers be more satisfied with higher prices and premiums? ???

Texas law allows for bidding by the auction house.

Texas law allows for pretty much anything. ;)doh!

I haven't read all the responses yet but this should answer a few of you:

As a buyer if given the opportunity to go ahead and go a small percentage over what I had initially decided was my max if it's an item that I really want I would prefer to have that option. THAT makes for happier buyers. As it currently stands with most online auctions you aren't given the choice. I like to have options in life.

As far as Texas is concerned, it's not the only state that allows auction houses to bid on items so you can take your weak attempt at Texas bashing and stuff it.

So far Comic Connect is the only auction site that seems to offer exactly the way it should be handled.

I know you guys are probably tired of hearing me say this over the years but an auction site should increase the close time of an item if a bid is placed within the last 5 minutes (or so) of closing. This is how a REAL auction works in a live setting.

This gives ample time for second/third/fourth bidder to counter the bid if they feel they are willing to pay that $10 more than they originally would have.

Auctionuniverse.com (which is long gone but was better and BEFORE eBay) started with this practice 1995.

The systems set up by eBay, Heritage, CLink and the rest of them FAIL because it allows people to force up maximum bids using shills (with usual little risk of the shill winning the item) and it allows sniping and auction in which case everyone loses.

Before anyone gets upset by this statement hear me out.

Soft end times for items would lead to increased values on items, increased buyer's premiums, and more satisfied buyers! It's a complete no-brainer and I have no idea why eBay or anyone else is so set on their ways about this.

I know the argument is that "only bid what you're willing to pay" but the truth is, for any of you that have actually been to a live auction if you decide before the auction that you're only going to pay $100 for that box of Strawberry Shortcake dolls and you're in a situation where only one other person is bidding, more often than not you'll get caught up in the action and will go ahead and pay that $110 for that box.

It's easy for us to rationalize the extra $10 when we only have a limited amount of time to make the decision. In the end, as I said, everyone comes out ahead, and everyone is happy.

How does higher prices make for more satisfied buyers?

Why would the buyer or the seller want higher buyer's premiums?

The premium percentage stays the same but it doesn't take a genius to understand that a BP of $50 against a BP of $75 means that the final value is higher making for happy sellers.

As far as buyers, see my previous response.

I definitely dont like the "extended bidding" since im one of those with no restraint that will up my "MAX bid" if someone outbids me doh!

Yeah its nice to win the book but i almost always end up overpaying for them. I prefer Comiclink and the other sites. Just put in your max bid and you win it or dont when the final buzzer goes off (thumbs u

When you're dealing with one of a kind items (which in many cases we are, at least those of us that don't collect junky bronze forward) it's nice to have the option of being able to rebid.

I'm not just talking about comics, but everything vintage or rare. If you decide that you're max is $1000 on an item that you've been searching 5 years for, or a one of a kind piece of art (comic or otherwise) and then when it comes down to it the item sells for $1015 I think most everyone could not argue that given the option to bid again that the extra 3% above you're original max is acceptable.

I'm not saying this is the case in everything that sells because quite frankly most of what many on these boards collect is much more common than people like to admit. (i.e. Hulk 181) In those cases there again you have the option of knowing that another one will come along if you don't want to bid any more on one that is currently for sale.

The current system allows for no option whatsoever. It's a set it and forget it mentality of which is taken advantage of by shills.

I know you guys are probably tired of hearing me say this over the years

(thumbs u :baiting:

Soft end times for items would lead to increased values on items, increased buyer's premiums, and more satisfied buyers!

Why would buyers be more satisfied with higher prices and premiums? ???

Texas law allows for bidding by the auction house.

Texas law allows for pretty much anything. ;)doh!

I haven't read all the responses yet but this should answer a few of you:

As a buyer if given the opportunity to go ahead and go a small percentage over what I had initially decided was my max if it's an item that I really want I would prefer to have that option.

Why is "bid your maximum the first time" such a hard concept to grasp? :shrug: Is it just lack of self-control?

THAT makes for happier buyers.

Is that a fact? Then I say it's a fact that auto-extend bidding ticks off more buyers than it makes happy. Holds the same validity, no?

As far as Texas is concerned, it's not the only state that allows auction houses to bid on items...

Oh, well, that makes it all ok then doh!

Actually, there would be no more satisfied buyers than there would under hard end times.

You have a hard end time, there is one buyer who is happy.

You have a soft end time, there is one buyer who is happy.

The only thing soft end times achieve is to push up the price, the only winners being the seller and the auction house.

Not saying which is right or wrong, just dealing with the fallacy.

As a buyer if given the opportunity to go ahead and go a small percentage over what I had initially decided was my max if it's an item that I really want I would prefer to have that option. THAT makes for happier buyers. As it currently stands with most online auctions you aren't given the choice. I like to have options in life.

From buyer perspective, if given the choice between better deals or getting more time to decide if they want to spend more, I bet the vast majority choose the former.

The premium percentage stays the same but it doesn't take a genius to understand that a BP of $50 against a BP of $75 means that the final value is higher making for happy sellers.

Not really. The buyer premium goes to the auction house.

I'm not so sure that soft end times achieves higher prices in an online environment. I think the fact that you don't get a second chance with a hard end time encourages people to put in higher swipe bids than they otherwise might. Historically, I think that, more than anything else, has accounted for a lot of the crazy prices that Clink has produced over the years. I'd have to think that Josh would have changed the Clink bidding system if he wasn't seeing this effect. Same with Ebay.

I'm not so sure that soft end times achieves higher prices in an online environment. I think the fact that you don't get a second chance with a hard end time encourages people to put in higher swipe bids than they otherwise might. Historically, I think that, more than anything else, has accounted for a lot of the crazy prices that Clink has produced over the years. I'd have to think that Josh would have changed the Clink bidding system if he wasn't seeing this effect. Same with Ebay.
If I remember correctly, the Atlantic City copy of Action #10 recieved bids during soft end times, resulting in a higher hammer price of over $50,000 or more. Same thing with the Action #13

If I remember correctly, the Atlantic City copy of Action #10 recieved bids during soft end times, resulting in a higher hammer price of over $50,000 or more. Same thing with the Action #13

It's difficult to use any of these items are arguing points. Who's to say the action 10 would not have achieved a higher price with a hard end time? The reason people put in bids during the soft end time is because they were allowed to put in bids, and they knew this before the auction started.

Bid your maximum and let it ride is only a good philosophy if you're bidding your maximum in the last minute. If you put in your max bid early you are just asking to have the item bid up in small increments. I think people also have difficulty distinguishing the highest price they would be happy to pay and the highest price they're willing to pay.

It's difficult to use any of these items are arguing points. Who's to say the action 10 would not have achieved a higher price with a hard end time? The reason people put in bids during the soft end time is because they were allowed to put in bids, and they knew this before the auction started.

Bid your maximum and let it ride is only a good philosophy if you're bidding your maximum in the last minute. If you put in your max bid early you are just asking to have the item bid up in small increments. I think people also have difficulty distinguishing the highest price they would be happy to pay and the highest price they're willing to pay.

I agree nobody except the ones bidding know for sure. Watching the auctions closely, I felt that these books sold for much more than they would have without the soft end times.

I agree nobody except the ones bidding know for sure. Watching the auctions closely, I felt that these books sold for much more than they would have without the soft end times.

I agree with both of you.

I think the Actions would have went higher than they did at the end of the original soft time if there was a hard end time. I also think though that the soft end time raised the final price at least about $5,000. I think at that point, the 2 top bidders went back and forth a few times and went above their planned MAX bid. Once you're that close to a book you really want, whats another few % to get it. Soft end time definitely helped those Actions imo.

Actually, there would be no more satisfied buyers than there would under hard end times.

You have a hard end time, there is one buyer who is happy.

You have a soft end time, there is one buyer who is happy.

The only thing soft end times achieve is to push up the price, the only winners being the seller and the auction house.

Not saying which is right or wrong, just dealing with the fallacy.

Your point is valid but I pose this to you as I know it's happened to myself and many others:

If I'm bidding on multiple items and things start to go higher than expected with a soft end time I would have the option of letting some go to focus my funds on those which I really want. Hard end times often can result in complete shut-outs. Less shut-out bidders results in more people being satisfied overall correct? (shrug)

Once again, I just want the option of deciding for myself.

I agree with both of you.

I think the Actions would have went higher than they did at the end of the original soft time if there was a hard end time. I also think though that the soft end time raised the final price at least about $5,000. I think at that point, the 2 top bidders went back and forth a few times and went above their planned MAX bid. Once you're that close to a book you really want, whats another few % to get it. Soft end time definitely helped those Actions imo.

You seem to be contradicting yourself. How can they have gone higher with a hard end time yet had a monetary raise of at least $5000 with a soft?