• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay now charges a final shipping fee?

46 posts in this topic

It has been a while since I sold on eBay. I decided recently to sell one item on a on a 10 day auction. I started the bid for .99 and it went for $1.04 plus actual shipping charge.

Now I understand how it goes with final sale price and I take my lumps when something goes cheap but here is what bothers me.

Besides the fact eBay charges extra for a 10 day auction they now charge a final shipping fee and on this item and it was .99, I also didn't do any extra frills on the listing.

So now my final cost to eBay for listing the item is $1.58 for an item I sold for a $1.04.

This pisses me off ! I spent a lot of effort keeping 100% feedback hoping to use eBay often and now it looks like I wont be anymore because they are charging me to death.

Has anyone else found this additional change frustrating and since they did this absurdaty are there other changes I am not aware of that are just as bad?

i had a invoice for $910 including shipping, after PP there was $874 in my account. was i a little irked? yes. but i can't really complain since it was free listing day. but now i'm gonna still get charged for the FV fees too. basically it's either their way or the highway. :tonofbricks:

It has been a while since I sold on eBay. I decided recently to sell one item on a on a 10 day auction. I started the bid for .99 and it went for $1.04 plus actual shipping charge.

Now I understand how it goes with final sale price and I take my lumps when something goes cheap but here is what bothers me.

Besides the fact eBay charges extra for a 10 day auction they now charge a final shipping fee and on this item and it was .99, I also didn't do any extra frills on the listing.

So now my final cost to eBay for listing the item is $1.58 for an item I sold for a $1.04.

This pisses me off ! I spent a lot of effort keeping 100% feedback hoping to use eBay often and now it looks like I wont be anymore because they are charging me to death.

Has anyone else found this additional change frustrating and since they did this absurdaty are there other changes I am not aware of that are just as bad?

Yes, eBay instituted this change back in July - I would assume in response to people doing $1 BINs with $200 shipping charges.

To be honest, it doesn't bother me - I do free shipping on a lot of higher-priced items, and for cheaper things, I just factor this extra fee into the starting or BIN price.

Whilst it sucks that you're going to loose money on this ordeal, it's not really eBay's fault that your item sold for $1.04 nor that you decided to make it a 10-day listing (which costs extra) - it makes no financial sense to sell $1 items on ebay unless you have an ebay store & you're a bulk dealer with 10,000s of listings.

When dollar comic books take up the same real estate on Ebay as 10,000.00 comic books. They are going to have a minimum tax, which is there current Ebay fee on cost of product and cost of shipping. Which is the total value of the order. They are actually trying to weed out low value items, to free up space for higher visibility higher value items.

Wait...so how is the shipping fee added/taken away? E-bay doesn't ship the books, you do. Do they take in consideration those who use Priority Flat rate?

Yeah, I'm lost on this too.

I just sold a few item on eBay and wasn't charged this. Maybe because I did it using the calculator and charging actual shipping?

I know they cap the most you can charge for a flat rate shipment now with some products. I tried to do a flat rate shipping on an item for $5 (it was actually costing me more than that) and eBay wouldn't let me list it with the reason "Our buyers think this is too high of a price to charge for shipping items of this nature"... WTF?!

basically it's either their way or the highway. :tonofbricks:

Take the highway. Everyday here I read about E-Bay scammers, problems, fee

complaints, etc. I just don't understand why anyone, especially knowledgable Boardies use it.

As always...

Total eBay fees on all of my sales for the past 14 years have been (roughly) 15%. That 15% buys me:

1) Worldwide exposure

2) Massive customer base

3) Ease of use

4) The ability to move everything

I simply factor that 15% into my costs and move on. There's no other selling venue that provides me the benefits eBay does for the relatively low cost.

Yes FD we all understand the exposure, but as they approach 20% in fees in some cases unless you are planning on dumping stuff is it realistically the place to sell anymore. Traffic there just isnt what it used to be there for sellers. Buyers are learning about other sites finally and ebay just doesnt seem to offer me anything anymore from a seller point of view that they offered years ago. Other then more fees, hassles, and fees it is quickly becoming just not worth it anymore.

Wait...so how is the shipping fee added/taken away? E-bay doesn't ship the books, you do. Do they take in consideration those who use Priority Flat rate?

Yeah, I'm lost on this too.

I just sold a few item on eBay and wasn't charged this. Maybe because I did it using the calculator and charging actual shipping?

I know they cap the most you can charge for a flat rate shipment now with some products. I tried to do a flat rate shipping on an item for $5 (it was actually costing me more than that) and eBay wouldn't let me list it with the reason "Our buyers think this is too high of a price to charge for shipping items of this nature"... WTF?!

There is no "final shipping fee" - the change is that ebay charges final value fees on both the amount the item sold for and the shipping costs you charge the buyer (whereas, previously, FVFs were only charged on the amount the item sold for).

The main problem is they are manipulating sellers into doing what they want.

First they bought PayPal and started charging a percentage which included what you were paid for shipping.

Then it was a nickel for this feature, and 50 cents for that option.

Then it was higher fees if you started at higher than .99 bids because they wanted to advertise low starting prices.

Now to get sellers to offer free shipping they have resorted to charging the seller a fee for requiring the buyer to pay shipping cost even if USPS and the gas station are getting those dollars?

I get dinging the guy who charges $50 for something that cost $5 to ship, but I charged $10.95 for a medium flat rate box which is break even after PayPal fee.

High volume of customers doesn't mean squat if the items go for wholesale or below and to add insult eBay fee's you to the last drop.

I don't care if my item only sold for a buck even though it doesn't even cover fuel to USPS, just don't charge me $1.58 for selling it. 15% ? Try more like 150%,

I will still buy from eBay as the buyer gets the better end of the deal, I just feel sorry for most of sellers who aren’t selling big items that even at a discount makes them good money.

Guess what’s next? Higher PayPal fees, mark my words.