• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Want to go to NYCC and get sigs

22 posts in this topic

Hello, all

I've never been to any Con and I don't know what I'm doing. I would like to request leave now and take a trip up to NY with my wife for the show.

I see Kirkman and Joe Q are going to be there!

I have a Walking Dead 1 and an NYX 3 I would like to get signed for SS. Is it easy to do as long as I'm willing to pay the fee, or am I too late in the game for that? They're both in 9.8 slabs, do any of you know the chances that they'll downgrade? I know you can't give definite answers, but your experience do 9.8 comics at least usually keep their grade?

Also, if anyone else is going that's willing to spend time with me showing me the ropes I would greatly appreciate it.

1. drop books off at CGC ****EARLY***** and pay the $27 plus shipping

2. there is no way to know if it will keep the grade

3. the cgc guys, facilitators and caws will be so busy I doubt they would have much time to show you the ropes.

Make sure you mark on the books, who you want and where you want it signed. Sometimes, CGC can get the signer to sign just where you want them.

Fill out form @ CGC booth at the beginning of show and make payment.

Make sure you mark on the books, who you want and where you want it signed. Sometimes, CGC can get the signer to sign just where you want them.

Fill out form @ CGC booth at the beginning of show and make payment.

:gossip:

Guys have any of you cracked out a CGC 9.8 to get signed? I'm wondering how often they end up with a downgrade.

I have cracked a dozens of them. You just have to be careful. It is more about whether the 9.8 was solid or soft in the first place, unless someone is careless or there is an accident.

Guys have any of you cracked out a CGC 9.8 to get signed? I'm wondering how often they end up with a downgrade.

I have a bunch of times and have never had a downgrade, but I know other people have not been as lucky. The only suggestion I would have to help avoid it is to have a prepped window bag/board ready to go so you have something secure to put the book in as soon as it is cracked out.

is it a solid 9.8 you have? a borderline 9.8? a 9.6 in a 9.8 case? Almost a 9.9 9.8?

I'm not good enough to make that determination, but I can all CGC and get the grader's notes.

My Walking Dead was pressed by Joey, and when he was done he seemed pretty optimistic it would be a 9.8

My NYX I bought already slabbed, and it looks fantastic through the slab. But I think slabs tend to hide subtle defects.

If I call CGC and get the notes, do they also tell you what every grader's opinion was on the grade? My understanding is more than one person gives an opinion on the grade before they finalize their decision.

I have cracked a dozens of them. You just have to be careful. It is more about whether the 9.8 was solid or soft in the first place, unless someone is careless or there is an accident.

Or the artist decides to take your comic out and start flipping through it so he can show off his work! lol

"Thank God it was seanfingh's comic"

Sorry, but I still think that was hilarious.

is it a solid 9.8 you have? a borderline 9.8? a 9.6 in a 9.8 case? Almost a 9.9 9.8?

I'm not good enough to make that determination, but I can all CGC and get the grader's notes.

My Walking Dead was pressed by Joey, and when he was done he seemed pretty optimistic it would be a 9.8

My NYX I bought already slabbed, and it looks fantastic through the slab. But I think slabs tend to hide subtle defects.

If I call CGC and get the notes, do they also tell you what every grader's opinion was on the grade? My understanding is more than one person gives an opinion on the grade before they finalize their decision.

Most likely, on a modern 9.8 there's not going to be any graders' notes.

Or the artist decides to take your comic out and start flipping through it so he can show off his work! lol

"Thank God it was seanfingh's comic"

Sorry, but I still think that was hilarious.

That's why you make your window bags locked down and airtight. You can play frisbee with some people's books and they will stay 9.8 because the window bags are so wel made. Other window bags, not so much.

yeah that does not stop some artists from slicing the bag open & taking the book out.

now if you put a "please & thank you" do not take book out of especially prepared window bag...

but in the end isn't the signature (yes it is witnessed) a defect you are adding to the book anyway?

yeah that does not stop some artists from slicing the bag open & taking the book out.

now if you put a "please & thank you" do not take book out of especially prepared window bag...

but in the end isn't the signature (yes it is witnessed) a defect you are adding to the book anyway?

Not according to CGC's yellow label. Well, you could also argue that the yellow label is a Qualified label.

most of the books i've cracked for sigs retained their grades, and some even got a bump. Only a few received a lower grade.

Crack 'em man.

A 9.6 Yellow label is better than a 9.8 Blue label to me........Unless it's the only 9.8 among many lower grades. 2c

Not according to CGC's yellow label. Well, you could also argue that the yellow label is a Qualified label.

No argument needed. The yellow label IS a qualified label.

Hello, all

I've never been to any Con and I don't know what I'm doing. I would like to request leave now and take a trip up to NY with my wife for the show.

I see Kirkman and Joe Q are going to be there!

I have a Walking Dead 1 and an NYX 3 I would like to get signed for SS. Is it easy to do as long as I'm willing to pay the fee, or am I too late in the game for that? They're both in 9.8 slabs, do any of you know the chances that they'll downgrade? I know you can't give definite answers, but your experience do 9.8 comics at least usually keep their grade?

Also, if anyone else is going that's willing to spend time with me showing me the ropes I would greatly appreciate it.

If you crack the book out of the slabs I recommend putting them in a mylite with a fullback or at least 3 regular backing boards. BEFORE placing the book in the bag cut out a window where you want the artist to sign.

From what I have seen most damage to a book occurs while the artist is handling it. If it is secure with lots of support (the extra backing boards) it is less likely to get bent in the process or man-handles.