• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYX 3 bringing in high $$$ - time to sell?

119 posts in this topic

It makes little sense that NYX #3 sells for $50-$100, while #4 is a $3 book.

:screwy:

Oh, and New Mutants #98 wasn't a very high printed book. Higher than #87, sure, but probably in the 250-300K range, with the typical 30-50% being returns.

X-Force #2, on the other hand....THAT was printed in the gazillions.

Oh, and New Mutants #98 wasn't a very high printed book. Higher than #87, sure, but probably in the 250-300K range, with the typical 30-50% being returns.

Actually, I'm not sure those numbers are correct. As I recall, all mutant books around that time had very high print runs (and there were only two- New Mutants and Uncanny X-men, X-force and X-men would come out in a few months with huge print runs, Excalibur didn't really count but still sold okay). Sadly, Rob Liefeld was something of a sensation at the time and I remember very high numbers for NM 98. Both Capital City and Diamond had very high demand for those titles at that time. Which makes sense when you look at the number of high grade copies certified.

I think when I ordered NM 98 for our store, it was at about 70% of whatever we ordered for Uncanny X-men at the time, which was by far the number one seller, of course (1 million comes to mind but I could be wrong). I seem to remember it was one of the Greg Buls recommendations for buying quantities also. But yes, it was definitely ramped up from NM 87 numbers.

And I agree whole-heartedly that it makes little sense that NYX 4 is such a cheap book. (thumbs u

And I agree whole-heartedly that it makes little sense that NYX 4 is such a cheap book. (thumbs u

Apparently, not that cheap...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NYX-4-SIGNED-JOE-QUESADA-1-/250881550154?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a69b4a74a

Hmm, I wonder....seller sounds familiar hm

Here ya go!

X-23-TargetX-CoverPrelim.jpg

Thanks Oakman! I might actually frame it upside down just because I like the way that looks. Although I did flip it on the left side and I like that view, too! Open to interpretation! Just for some perspective on which way it goes, it was right when I first posted it. X-23 is looking down into a puddle at her reflection.

X-23TargetX3-001.jpg

Actually, I'm not sure those numbers are correct. As I recall, all mutant books around that time had very high print runs (and there were only two- New Mutants and Uncanny X-men, X-force and X-men would come out in a few months with huge print runs, Excalibur didn't really count but still sold okay). Sadly, Rob Liefeld was something of a sensation at the time and I remember very high numbers for NM 98. Both Capital City and Diamond had very high demand for those titles at that time. Which makes sense when you look at the number of high grade copies certified.

I think when I ordered NM 98 for our store, it was at about 70% of whatever we ordered for Uncanny X-men at the time, which was by far the number one seller, of course (1 million comes to mind but I could be wrong). I seem to remember it was one of the Greg Buls recommendations for buying quantities also. But yes, it was definitely ramped up from NM 87 numbers.

Actually, those numbers are probably only slightly low - if even that.

New Mutants #99 has the statement of ownership for 1990 and mentions an average print run of 289,387, with average total paid circulation of 182,499. Even if we assume those numbers to have picked up a bit in the last 4-5 issues of the title, it's still not far from what RMA estimated.

Capital City ordered 55,000 copies of New Mutants #98, by the way.

And as an aside, there was a third X-Title, at the time: X-Factor! And it was more successful than New Mutants. The corresponding statement of ownership for X-Factor in 1990 shows an average print run of 406K with 268K TPC.

Uncanny X-Men at the time had an avg print run of about 600K (400K total paid) and it would top at 700-750K in the next couple of years. It never became a steady 1M book. (The aggressively ordered #281 being a possible exception, but that feat was never repeated...)

And I, too, agree that NYX #4 is ridiculously low! :sumo:

New Mutants #99 has the statement of ownership for 1990 and mentions an average print run of 289,387, with average total paid circulation of 182,499. Even if we assume those numbers to have picked up a bit in the last 4-5 issues of the title, it's still not far from what RMA estimated.

And as an aside, there was a third X-Title, at the time: X-Factor! And it was more successful than New Mutants. The corresponding statement of ownership for X-Factor in 1990 shows an average print run of 406K with 268K TPC.

Uncanny X-Men at the time had an avg print run of about 600K (400K total paid) and it would top at 700-750K in the next couple of years. It never became a steady 1M book. (The aggressively ordered #281 being a possible exception, but that feat was never repeated...)

That makes sense. I was thinking about the issues around 281 so that could be where I got the 1 million number.

Forgot about X-Factor. But I don't know that it was selling better than New Mutants at the time. We certainly weren't.

Do you have the records from Capital City? That number seems very low to me given their market share at the time. How did you get the statistical data on print runs. I'd be interested in looking at more of it. (thumbs u

At one time, like others, I could have totally seen Summer Glau playing Laura/X-23 if there was a movie.

Natalie Portman! Not only her look, but she would do an amazing job portraying a character with the depth that X23 has.

The character she was given in Thor was beneath her. She was amazing in V for Vendetta and Black Swan.

Natalie-Portman-Actress-V-for-Vendetta-Natalie-Portman-was-born-in-Jerusalem-the-only-child-of-a-doctor-father-from-Israel-and-an-artist-mother-from-Biography-Natalie-Portman-Photos-Awards-Photographs.jpg

That makes sense. I was thinking about the issues around 281 so that could be where I got the 1 million number.

Forgot about X-Factor. But I don't know that it was selling better than New Mutants at the time. We certainly weren't.

Do you have the records from Capital City? That number seems very low to me given their market share at the time. How did you get the statistical data on print runs. I'd be interested in looking at more of it. (thumbs u

Both the Capital City numbers and the statement of ownership statistics I got from Krause's Standard Catalog Of Comic Books.

(But to be safe, I cross referenced the print runs and paid circulation numbers from the books themselves. :sumo: )

I don't know about her acting,but Selena Gomez looks the part as X-23

Selena-Gomez.jpg

I could see Selena(hard working child actor) in the role as it doesn't really need a lot of dialouge and she can pull a pissed-off face pretty well from what I have seen of her clips. But, 'tween movies like Monte Carlo(still poised to make more of a profit then Green Lantern though) and girly music videos might hurt any possible action movie credibility with the boys. But, being in a Disney contract(co-owners of Marvel) can't hurt either. Great choice. (thumbs u

At one time, like others, I could have totally seen Summer Glau playing Laura/X-23 if there was a movie.

Natalie Portman! Not only her look, but she would do an amazing job portraying a character with the depth that X23 has.

The character she was given in Thor was beneath her. She was amazing in V for Vendetta and Black Swan.

I don't know about her acting,but Selena Gomez looks the part as X-23

I can't think of anyone to take the spot for a possible movie, but whoever it is has their work cut out for them given the darkness of the character.

NYX2.jpg

NYX1-1.jpg

nyx3.jpg

I could see Selena(hard working child actor) in the role as it doesn't really need a lot of dialouge and she can pull a pissed-off face pretty well from what I have seen of her clips. But, 'tween movies like Monte Carlo(still poised to make more of a profit then Green Lantern though) and girly music videos might hurt any possible action movie credibility with the boys. But, being in a Disney contract(co-owners of Marvel) can't hurt either. Great choice. (thumbs u

I think a lot of it depends on which X23 you want to portray. The NYX version seemed more sad than angry. When I read it I just wanted to hold her and tell her it will be OK lol

But yeah, in the X23 series her sadness seemed to turn to anger.

I would really like to see them do a well made X23. Doubtful they will though. Marvel seems to only make movies of longtime, well established characters. Unless there's one I'm forgetting.

Natalie-Portman-Actress-V-for-Vendetta-Natalie-Portman-was-born-in-Jerusalem-the-only-child-of-a-doctor-father-from-Israel-and-an-artist-mother-from-Biography-Natalie-Portman-Photos-Awards-Photographs.jpg

She's getting too up there in age now to play a 'teen clone. I doubt she would pull a Halle Berry and headline a female comic-book vehicle so soon after bringing home the gold last spring too. Thor was already in the can, when she won her Oscar. If anything, I would see her doing more Alias type-comic movies from Marvel. If she was to wear the spandex, then Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman seems most likely. (thumbs u