• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My review of the new DC 52 ((week 2 on page 5))

166 posts in this topic

Despite that weird anomaly I am giving this book an A as well. It lived up to my expectations. I'm hoping Williams can keep up the pace...he's had a big enough head start I should certainly think so.

I really hope so too. His page designs are better than anyone's.

Agreed. His page layouts are brilliant. They are the best I've seen since Bob Hall's Shadowman in the mid 90s.

Not to hijack, but what other books would you guys recommend to check out from JH Williams? This is my first exposure to him. I'd prefer if he writes and draws as true "storytellers" are few and far between.

Promethea! What a book, one of the most ambitious, trippy, and intellectual in comics' history. Don't worry that JH didn't write it, 'cause Alan Moore did! Wait until you see the layouts in this book, they are sick. You want a strong female character? Promethea makes Batwoman look like Little Orphan Annie. You want a book that takes more than 5 minutes to read? One issue could take you an hour, especially if you Google the stuff you don't understand/aren't familiar with. And there will be stuff you're not familiar with.

This book blew me away month after month.

Based upon your review of Animal Man, I bought it and read, when I wasn't going to do so originally. I must say, I was impressed. I really liked it as well. Thanks! :golfclap:

I agree on both counts. I was never really an Animal Man fan, but after reading you review I read it. Loved it. Cannot wait for issue 2

Wow. I'm glad you guys liked it. Still the best one so far.

i cant compare it to past Superboys as this is my 1st one, but it was interesting how he came to be who he is and this comic gives you answers that separates boy from Superman, i liked the art, plenty of dialogue and speech compared to alot of the New 52, i will be giving it a go for a few more issues

Ak. just saw your post. :golfclap: Seems decent enough to give a try. Grade?

Despite that weird anomaly I am giving this book an A as well. It lived up to my expectations. I'm hoping Williams can keep up the pace...he's had a big enough head start I should certainly think so.

I really hope so too. His page designs are better than anyone's.

Agreed. His page layouts are brilliant. They are the best I've seen since Bob Hall's Shadowman in the mid 90s.

Not to hijack, but what other books would you guys recommend to check out from JH Williams? This is my first exposure to him. I'd prefer if he writes and draws as true "storytellers" are few and far between.

Promethea! What a book, one of the most ambitious, trippy, and intellectual in comics' history. Don't worry that JH didn't write it, 'cause Alan Moore did! Wait until you see the layouts in this book, they are sick. You want a strong female character? Promethea makes Batwoman look like Little Orphan Annie. You want a book that takes more than 5 minutes to read? One issue could take you an hour, especially if you Google the stuff you don't understand/aren't familiar with. And there will be stuff you're not familiar with.

This book blew me away month after month.

Oh yeah! I forgot about Promethea. I only ever read a few scattered issues and was muy confused. I think this is one you probably neet to start at the beginning with.

My Overall Updated List of Grades for the New 52.

Week 1

Justice League B too short and not much happening

Week 2

Action B Will stick around but it needs to show me something

Animal Man A+ never read the book before but this reboot is awesome

Batgirl A+ I love Barbara Gordon as Batgirl

Batwing- F wasn't impressed at all, like a bad moon knight comic

Detective B will see what happens but should have been better

Green Arrow C meh

Hawk and Dove F never took it out of the bag, got it to sell to Liefeld maniacs

JLI C pretty boring and weak team. Never a Booster fan

Men At War- B was a decent modern take on Sgt. Rock

OMAC-D would have rather seen the kool aid man running through walls.

Static-F wish i had gotten electrocuted

Swamp Thing A really like this reboot, one of my favs so far

Week 3

Batman and Robin B can't complain, decent book

Batwoman A great book, will be even greater with a lesbian love scene

Deathstroke A I thought it was fantastic, but he's a fav or mine

DemonKnights-no review yet

Frankenstein- no review yet

Green Lantern A+ wow just wow. Sinestro is bad *spoon*, who needs hal

Grifter- no review yet

Legion Lost A Lots of potential but I'm a huge legion fan and my biases come through

Mister Terrific- no review yet

Red Lantern's C Benes's art saves it some but reminds me of the 90's eye candy

Resurrection Man B+ the nostalgia, the nostalgia

Suicide Squad C harley is cool, art isn't

Superboy-no review yet

I am hoping someone can explain something to me. The Swamp Thing story is a continuation of the pre-Flashpoint story with Alex Holland being re-born. Now how is it that Superman knows this story if this is a new DC Universe? Did Flashpoint only reset something and not others?

I think a good general rule to follow as far as the new continuity goes as such: Anything that happened pre-Justice league #1 could have happened and may very well have happened in the new continuity, but it's not a guarantee. Until it's actually shown or implied to have happened you can't rely on those issues being 100% accurate. Although in some specific titles like Batman and green lantern DC has been on record as saying that the recent storylines are going to be pretty much untouched. So, basically it's a fresh new universe with it's own timeline and continuity, but a chunk of recent continuity from certain titles in the prior universe pretty much went down the same way in this new universe. So if something is shown in this new universe such as the swamp thing and Superman interaction that might not quite add up to the swamp thing story from the earlier universe, it may have gone down slightly different in the new universe than it did in the prior one. That's the way i wrap my head around it.

I think a good general rule to follow as far as the new continuity goes as such: Anything that happened pre-Justice league #1 could have happened and may very well have happened in the new continuity, but it's not a guarantee. Until it's actually shown or implied to have happened you can't rely on those issues being 100% accurate. Although in some specific titles like Batman and green lantern DC has been on record as saying that the recent storylines are going to be pretty much untouched. So, basically it's a fresh new universe with it's own timeline and continuity, but a chunk of recent continuity from certain titles in the prior universe pretty much went down the same way in this new universe. So if something is shown in this new universe such as the swamp thing and Superman interaction that might not quite add up to the swamp thing story from the earlier universe, it may have gone down slightly different in the new universe than it did in the prior one. That's the way i wrap my head around it.

I got dizzy when i typed that. :insane:

Bad art is bad art regardless of the book. Call me a snob, but I cant read a book well if the art is terrible.

I think the art in a book is the key ingredient that gives a book it's mood, personality, tone...whatever you want to call it. Not every book would benefit from Jim Lee doing the pencils. Frankenstein is a perfect example of that I think. It certainly rounds out the quirkiness and "out there" elements of the book. When the book called for a kick double page spread, the artist delivered and he didn't change his style to do it, the guy has obviously got talent.

That's why Benes us great on Red Lanterns. The sic-fi aspect(if you want to call it sic-fi) needs sharp, crisp, technically executed artwork.

Batwoman is probably the best example if how a book is transformed by the artwork. The best example of this is how much the style changes as soon as Kate Kane puts on that suit. Masterful stuff.

Some of these artists adapt their styles I would think to how they see fit to help the overall feel of the book.

I think DC has done a great job so far matching writers and artists to these books.

I decided to pick up 2 more books after reading people's thoughts on them around the web:

Frankenstein Agent of SHADE: A-

It's another book that's not going to be for everyone, but it's up my alley. It's about Frankenstein working for SHADE fighting monsters. It reads as though it's going to have a very personal element to it as well. This will have to try and fill the void that PROOF left. It's going on my pull.

Demon Knights: C-

I don't have any clue as to what happened in this book. Although the art was nice, this was not new reader friendly at all. If I knew who Etrigan or Xanadu were, maybe it would've made sense. (shrug) I thought these were supposed to be new reader friendly. I won't be continuing on with it.