• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My review of the new DC 52 ((week 2 on page 5))

166 posts in this topic

Wow. I'm excited enough about a gob of new books that i'm actually starting a thread. :ohnoez: I've read them all so far and must say i am very excited about the DC universe as a whole for the first time since, well, ever. There's a few stinkers so far, but a lot of great stuff. There's something about them all starting in the same month that really gives a cool feeling of continuity. Here's a short review of my favorites and least favorites so far without adding in too many spoilers. I'm skipping the ones i was so-so about for now.

1) Animal Man. A+

Fantastic Writing and quirky art. I was never the biggest fan of the original Animal man, but this debut issue was freaking awesome. This seems to be DC's current reluctant hero, and who doesn't like that? (reminds me a good deal of the jack knight Starman series) Also, the fact that he's married with children is a pretty interesting concept that isn't touched on much in comics outside of the FF.

2) Justice League A

The 8th member of the Justice League is Jim Lee. He really should have drawn himself on the cover with the rest of them. His art is Beautiful as usual. Johns is starting this one fast and slow at the same time. It's fast because of the pace with Batman and Green lantern and their interaction, but the slow formation of the team is what's most intriguing. It reminds me of when bendis started Ultimate spider-man, and really took his time in the early going. Superman's line at the end was awesome.

3) Batgirl A-

Art is great and writing is pretty nice as well. This one sold out of most shops first from what i have gathered. There was a scene in the early part of the story that was a "Oh no they didn't!" moment. Barbara is such a likable character, and it's nearly impossible not to root for her.

4) Action Comics B

He's the big dog. The fact that he's wearing blue jeans on the cover and throughout the story shouldn't stop anyone from giving this a try. Morrison is giving young Supes from 5 years ago a lot more attitude than anyone is used to seeing. Rags is a fantastic artist as well although it seems like his work is rushed a little at times. I may be in the minority here, but I love the idea of Superman being a little more vulnerable. One of the reasons i never really got into the character in the past was the fact that he was all but untouchable. He's still tough as hell, but he can be hurt without smashing a planet made of doomsday into his face over and over again. ((((((HUGE SPOILER ALERT!!!!)))))) He says G.D. at one point so if you are concerned with going to hell for reading a superman comic please skip this one. (And G.D. means exactly that. The letters G.D. in tiny little print were uttered from his mouth.) :ohnoez:

5) Swamp thing B-

1st swamp thing i've ever read. Nice art/story. It tied into 2 other titles which left me feeling warm and fuzzy about the new universe. Makes the top 5 because of the tie-in with the title that received an A+ and the art which is a perfect match. Another example of reluctant hero syndrome. For some reason i find this a likable trait for the main star of a book.

6) Detective C

Batman and the Joker. If that's your thing you will like this one. The art is nice, but i was bored by the story up until the last few pages. Those last few pages saved this comic from a lower grade. Now i have to read the 2nd issue. This might be the best example of a comeback in the 9th inning of the whole bunch.

7) Justice league international D

Boring. This title just feels like filler to me. Booster being a leader of the justice league seems ridiculous to me also. I like the character, but i like him as a goofball screw-up that saves the day from time to time. Art is lacking punch. Story construction had me skipping panels, and anyone who has ever read a book and does this knows what i'm talking about. :insane: Not getting another chance.

8) Stormwatch D-

I really wanted to like this one. The art is garbage and the writing is boring. The only thing keeping this from an F is my sentimentality for the older stormwatch stuff. Apollo doesn't want to be on the team. Ok. Get over it. You have the freaking Martian Manhunter. I'm pretty sure he can handle just about anything Apollo can with the possible exceptions of the human torch and the Midnighter during sexy time.

9) Hawk & Dove F

The coloring was nice.

That's it for now. The others i will reserve judgment for now. I realize this was kinda long, and i really appreciate anyone who actually read it. I would love to see what people agree and disagree with here.

WEEK 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Green Lantern : B+

The last one i read, and my favorite of the bunch. Mahnke's art is just as good as ever. Hal is struggling and still fearless. His heroics in this issue left me cracking up and the bit with he and carol was worth a smile (even if the scene did seem a little cliche). Hal's a likeable character without being a lantern....he's basically Peter Parker and Matt Murdock combined. Sinestro is a Bad-asss, and i hope he stays a lantern for at least a while longer. It creates an interesting conflict with the sinestro corps. If you enjoyed either of the emerald dawn mini's i think you will like the direction this is heading in.

Resurrection Man B-

Nice start. Art is serviceable. The Character designs on the demon Villainess was pretty wacky. I was not expecting that. I like the internal monologue in regards to Mitch's powers that he's got going on. The fact that the higher powers have a huge interest in him make him seem more at risk in regards to his fate. That was a nice twist. I also like how his main enemies thus far are women. Definitely worth checking out the next issue.

Batwoman C+

I have had little exposure to this character aside from knowing that her sexual orientation was a relevant plot point. I liked the interaction between her and the detective that she was asked out by. I suppose she will be the blonde replacement for montoya. I kind of wish that since this is a new continuity that they had just kept renee, but i guess they wanted to go with a new love interest. I thought it was a little sloppy that one second she's looking at Renee's photo with a sense of longing and the next she's smiling and flirting. That seemed rushed and could have been saved for a future issue. Flamebird is annoying and with any luck will meet with a gruesome death at some point in the near future. I thought the choice of Villain was a little weak, but she could become something more as the story goes along. A decent start and with this level of artwork could become an "A" in a couple of issues.

Frankenstein C+

Good start and Lemire is 100% on my radar from now on. The inclusion of ray Palmer was a nice touch, and Frank seems to have plenty of conflict going on. The inclusion of the Creature commandos was a little much and could have taken a little longer to evolve. Lemire has a way of introducing fantastic ideas and quirky plot points without hitting you over the head with them. He's kinda like "here's something bizarre and fascinating, moving on." I love it. The art is a distraction and waaaay to scratchy for my tastes. With a better artist this would have been an easy B. Switch Ed Benes to this title DC!!

Mister Terrific C

Not Bad. The art is average, and doesn't take anything away. It doesn't add a whole lot either though. A very likeable main character and a nice twist at the end. I would like to see Terrific create some new weaponry besides the spheres. I realize they are multifunctional, but it would still be cool to see some other tech. He's DC's Tony Stark without the drinking problem. Maybe he needs a substance problem to round him out. I think if he were a pot head that might make for some interesting stories. lol

Suicide Squad C-

The Harley Quinn cover is way better than the interior art. It seemed muddled and rushed on the inside. Harley's redesign is not bad, but it's gonna pizz off most Batman fans. The squad that is picked is ok. I'm hoping the cast rotates alot with Deadshot and Harley being the mainstays. I'm ok with the rest getting filleted at any point. The ending was ok. I just feel like this plot device has been seen before and is becoming a bit cliche. Overall worth a second look, but this one's on a short leash with me.

Batman and Robin D

Yeah. I guess if you like a whiny little brat Robin and a fatherly Batman then you will like this. I never latched onto Bats having a kid. Robin's a 10 year old know-it-all who gets constant instruction from Bruce while fighting crime. Woopideeedoooo!!!! The art is below average from cover to cover. I guess DC just felt like they needed a 4th Batman title, so here it is. The attempt to release it second was clever, but this has to be the worst of the four with any hope. Avoid.

Legion Lost: D-

This is the most new reader non-friendly book i've read from Dc's new 52 thus far. Not giving it an F because i have never been a legion fan, and it took me most of the story to realize who i was reading about. A longtime legion fan would appreciate this more, as i'm sure the story would have held more impact. A character Bio at the beginning would have worked wonders here. The story doesn't slow down enough to gain any real knowledge of who these people are or why you should care about them. 2 deaths at the end, and i had to go back and decipher who actually died since it was only mentioned and not shown. The art is average, and it had nice color throughout. (it seems i start noticing things like color when i can't find many redeemable qualities about a book.) If you've never read a Legion book, i don't recommend starting with this pile. Not getting another chance.

Red Lanterns D-

There is not one likeable character in this book. The cat scene bordered on entertaining. Then i just realized that i wanted to see the cat get ripped in half or something. When that didn't happen, i lost interest in that situation. Atrocitus is the main star here. His motivations are outlined but i just don't care. The rest of the cast looks like a bunch of angry, red vomit spewing muppets. I honestly don't understand why i need to see pages of characters making "Rage" sounds. I will give any book that Benes draws a shot, but even his art here looks not quite Benis-like. I don't know if he's just not happy with his assignment or maybe Rob Hunter is a below average inker. Having said that, even crappy Benes is better than no benes at all, so he saved it from an F. In closing, the red vomit rage muppets can go be full of rage somewhere else for all i care. I won't be following this.

Grifter F

God. I Wanted to like this. (Wildstorm Characters are 0 for 2 at this point and it's starting to look pretty bleak with Voodoo being the last wildstorm book to save the day)

Art is boring and lacking life. The Cover is nice and is severely let down by the interiors. Ok. So the book is called "Grifter", right? Remember him? He was kind of like a blonde,white Samuel L Jackson with a couple of guns and an attitude. Now he hears Daemonite thoughts and runs around like a Nancy whining about it. By the time he put the mask on at the end i was fully convinced he was putting it on to hide his tears. What a joke. I hope his brother (condition Red) puts him through a wood chipper, and takes over as the books lead. Maybe if Zealot showed up, or maybe some recollection of his time with team 7 could have saved him from being an overall dull character.

I agree for the most part with the grades above. Here are the ones not posted and my opinion.

Men At War- B was a decent modern take on Sgt. Rock

Static-F wish i had gotten electrocuted

Batwing- F wasn't impressed at all, like a bad moon knight comic

OMAC-D would have rather seen the kool aid man running through walls.

Just finished reading Animal Man and Swamp Thing.

Neither of these I pre-ordered I picked them up at my LCS. They will both be on my next order to mailordercomics.com.

Animal Man was spectacular and Swamp Thing was close behind.

I have to disagree with your assessment of Detective though, I thought it was a solid book and the ending just blew me away.

I liked Batwing, there is certainly room for improvement but I'm going to give them a chance and see what happens.

I agree for the most part with the grades above. Here are the ones not posted and my opinion.

Men At War- B was a decent modern take on Sgt. Rock

Static-F wish i had gotten electrocuted

Batwing- F wasn't impressed at all, like a bad moon knight comic

OMAC-D would have rather seen the kool aid man running through walls.

Agree. I'm reserving until the 2nd issue on Men at war. I Iiked it though. It's a C for me. Omac and Static were both really boring so yeah D-F should just about fit. Batwing had really nice art, but it was a snooze-fest. I wish they would switch the artist to another title.

1) Animal Man...I was never the biggest fan of the original Animal man...

Blasphemy!

2) Justice League A

The 8th member of the Justice League is Jim Lee...His art is Beautiful as usual...

I still don't 'get' Jim Lee. Nice guy. Super Nice guy. I just never much got into his art.

Not trying to diss on him here at all, Justin, as he will pump the sales of any book he does. Probably the only modern artist who can do the interiors of a book and make it instantly skyrocket in sales.

I just don't... get it... personally...

(Though if McFarlane ever does a couple of issues of Spider-man, I imagine it would be the biggest seller of the year...)

Oh. And I agree with the grade. Read it and kinda liked it!

5) Swamp thing B-

1st swamp thing i've ever read.

Blasphemy!

9) Hawk & Dove F

The coloring was nice.

Spray painted poop is still poop.

Great reviews! Thanks Justin!

1) Animal Man...I was never the biggest fan of the original Animal man...

Blasphemy!

2) Justice League A

The 8th member of the Justice League is Jim Lee...His art is Beautiful as usual...

I still don't 'get' Jim Lee. Nice guy. Super Nice guy. I just never much got into his art.

Not trying to diss on him here at all, Justin, as he will pump the sales of any book he does. Probably the only modern artist who can do the interiors of a book and make it instantly skyrocket in sales.

I just don't... get it... personally...

(Though if McFarlane ever does a couple of issues of Spider-man, I imagine it would be the biggest seller of the year...)

Oh. And I agree with the grade. Read it and kinda liked it!

5) Swamp thing B-

1st swamp thing i've ever read.

Blasphemy!

9) Hawk & Dove F

The coloring was nice.

Spray painted poop is still poop.

Great reviews! Thanks Justin!

Sure thing! Thought it would be nice to share a bit. I guess i need to get it in gear and read older animal man and swamp thing. I've read all of Sandman, Preacher, and Hellblazer though so hopefully i can keep my membership in the vertigo club. :wishluck: Yeah, i think Mcfarlane would even make Hawk and dove a top seller. Went into Hawk and Dove with ZERO expectations and they were completely met. Did anyone like this one???

Wow. I'm excited enough about a gob of new books that i'm actually starting a thread. :ohnoez: I've read them all so far and must say i am very excited about the DC universe as a whole for the first time since, well, ever. There's a few stinkers so far, but a lot of great stuff. There's something about them all starting in the same month that really gives a cool feeling of continuity. Here's a short review of my favorites and least favorites so far without adding in too many spoilers. I'm skipping the ones i was so-so about for now.

2) Justice League A

The 8th member of the Justice League is Jim Lee. He really should have drawn himself on the cover with the rest of them. His art is Beautiful as usual. Johns is starting this one fast and slow at the same time. It's fast because of the pace with Batman and Green lantern and their interaction, but the slow formation of the team is what's most intriguing. It reminds me of when bendis started Ultimate spider-man, and really took his time in the early going. Superman's line at the end was awesome.

3) Batgirl A-

Art is great and writing is pretty nice as well. This one sold out of most shops first from what i have gathered. There was a scene in the early part of the story that was a "Oh no they didn't!" moment. Barbara is such a likable character, and it's nearly impossible not to root for her.

4) Action Comics B

He's the big dog. The fact that he's wearing blue jeans on the cover and throughout the story shouldn't stop anyone from giving this a try. Morrison is giving young Supes from 5 years ago a lot more attitude than anyone is used to seeing. Rags is a fantastic artist as well although it seems like his work is rushed a little at times. I may be in the minority here, but I love the idea of Superman being a little more vulnerable. One of the reasons i never really got into the character in the past was the fact that he was all but untouchable. He's still tough as hell, but he can be hurt without smashing a planet made of doomsday into his face over and over again. ((((((HUGE SPOILER ALERT!!!!)))))) He says G.D. at one point so if you are concerned with going to hell for reading a superman comic please skip this one. (And G.D. means exactly that. The letters G.D. in tiny little print were uttered from his mouth.) :ohnoez:

Justice League #1: Read it and liked and will continue to see where it goes.

Batgirl#1: Never read an issue of Batgirl in the past. Was curious and I must say, I really liked this one as well. Will contiue reading to see where it goes. Kind of like JL#1, it started off with some good action and kept me wanting more. Finished it quick...a little too quick.

Action Comics #1: Didn't like it at all. Dropping it.

That's all I'm picking up for this week. Seems like all these books are selling out in some LCSs, but they are fully stocked with Detectives, Actions, Batigirls, etc. here. (shrug)

That's it for now. The others i will reserve judgment for now. I realize this was kinda long, and i really appreciate anyone who actually read it. I would love to see what people agree and disagree with here.

Read it all and loved it. :applause:

Thanks for the overviews. (thumbs u

Read it all and loved it. :applause:

Thanks for the overviews. (thumbs u

Great! I'll review a few more next week. Hoping they're just as good.