• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My review of the new DC 52 ((week 2 on page 5))

166 posts in this topic

Ok I read some more Batwoman, Batman and Robin, Batgirl, Detective...

Batwoman was as good as the previous Batwoman stuff.

Detective and Batman and Robin were alright...about as good as Batman, but not something I'm going to start buying regularly.

Batgirl was cliche filled and the art sucked.

I'm saving Swamp Thing until I read the search for mini and Animal Man for last cause I think it will be the best.

Do people really need 4 monthly batman books plus all the other bat related books? I guess I'm just not that into batman...It seems even more saturated than X books...at least those have lots of different characters on each team.

Did you even look at the cover?

I agree. I didn't like the cover when I first saw it. Not because of the pencils / blockiness but because of the composition. I didn't mind the interiors.

I think Brian A's reputation will superhero books will hold up.

Anyone remember Superman?

Not I. I don't usually read DC. What happened there?

Psst I didnt like the art in Proof either....

You didn't have to tell me that. I knew that from your taste. (thumbs u

Are you sure that you don't want to complain that Capullo's art in Batman #1 isn't too sketchy in some places? :baiting:

(thumbs u

I liked the art in Wonder Woman. It may seem like at first sight, but overall it is throughly enjoyable. I thought his compositions were good and storytelling was well done. It's nice to see a little "abstract"(if you want to go that far, by calling it that) or stylistic art instead of guys who worry about realism and anatomy all the time...although I thought is anatomy was on.

I'm also glad to see DC take some of their bigger titles and mix it up a little with different styles instead of going straight for the Jim Lee's of the world on their big hitters. Wonder Woman maybe more than Superman needed this "update". I think the artwork is another step in that direction...it was a risk to be sure, but one I think was well played.

As far as the cover goes, I thought it was one of the better ones of the reboot, definitely better than the batman cover. Wonder Woman flying through the air, with arrows hurtling towards her and a bloody blade in hand...nothing better.

I thought the picture where she blocked the arrow was very nicely done.

Speaking of flying, Wonder Woman did none of that in this issue... hm

However the art in Wonder Woman is horrendous. It made it very difficult for me to read and I have no desire to buy another issue.

First Animal Man and now this one? doh!

I know art is subjective, but you have bad taste, man. Or maybe it's just outdated. :jokealert:

No, he's right, the art in both of those books was horrendous.

The problem is, it's not just these 2 books, either. The art of the reboot is the most disappointing aspect of the entire relaunch. DC really could've amped up the anticipation with some kick- artists, but instead they got a bunch of 2nd-raters and no-namers. And then they go and put their best artist, Ivan Reis, on Aquaman? :headslap:

I guess, I'm not seeing what you guys are, which is fine, everybody likes what they like, but I don't see what is wrong with the art in any of the books I have read so far.

A couple titles have been run of the mill, like Stormwatch, JLI and Batwing(being the worst of the three) but I haven't seen anything I would use the word horrendous to describe.

I personally don't think Ivan Reis is DC's best artist, I'm not even sure I would place him top 5, but that is the cool thing about art, it's subjective.

I guess, I'm not seeing what you guys are, which is fine, everybody likes what they like, but I don't see what is wrong with the art in any of the books I have read so far.

A couple titles have been run of the mill, like Stormwatch, JLI and Batwing(being the worst of the three) but I haven't seen anything I would use the word horrendous to describe.

Well, you're right, it all could've been worse. DC could've hired "genre artists" like Humberto Ramos, Chris Bachalo or Ed McGuiness to really ruin things (McG's Superman is the worst I've ever seen). Thankfully they also shied away from "genre artists" like Lark, Maleev, and Tommy Lee Edwards, which is where I guess I would lump in Cliff Chiang's work.

I personally don't think Ivan Reis is DC's best artist, I'm not even sure I would place him top 5...

I'd be interested in hearing your current Top 5 then. Does George Perez count as a current penciller? If so, he trumps Ivan Reis.

See, now I love Maleev's stuff as well as Ramos and I thought Lark was great on DD.

I guess I like to see art that isn't just comic book looking. Don't get me wrong I love me some Benes, Benetiz, Mahnke, Reis, Lee, etc. I enjoy all of those guys, but I love opening up a book and being challenged by the artwork...to have to look under the nice shiny polish to see what makes it great.

I like the art that takes a book to that next level, really sets the tone. Reis can draw good anatomy, and pretty breasts and it is all nice and sparkly, but it is kind of boring to me...looks like every other book out there. There are very few things out there that look like Wonder Woman or Frankenstein agent of SHADE and I think the same can be said of Maleev or Ramos.

That is one reason I like Kenneth Rocafort so much as well..he just skirts that line where it looks like comic book art, but his lack of, what I would consider normal inking, pushes it to something else. It has this frenetic energy to it, always in motion, which is why I think he is a great fit for Red Hood and the Outlaws...you can tell the action as well as the banter will be coming fast and furious in that book.

I'm not sure what my top 5 would be but I can tell you who would probably be number one, just of the top of my head without giving it much though and that would be J.H. Williams..what he does with Batwoman is without equal in the DC universe..I'm not sure there is even a close second.

As far as Perez goes I could take him or leave him. He is a great talent, just never really appealed to my eye is all.

Well, you're right, it all could've been worse. DC could've hired "genre artists" like Humberto Ramos, Chris Bachalo or Ed McGuiness to really ruin things (McG's Superman is the worst I've ever seen). Thankfully they also shied away from "genre artists" like Lark, Maleev, and Tommy Lee Edwards, which is where I guess I would lump in Cliff Chiang's work.

I personally don't think Ivan Reis is DC's best artist, I'm not even sure I would place him top 5...

I'd be interested in hearing your current Top 5 then. Does George Perez count as a current penciller? If so, he trumps Ivan Reis.

You really thought Batwing was bad art wise. Book was not great but I thought the art was the best of all the 52.

I didn't think it was bad, just run of the mill. It didn't really do much for me is all.

I think part of my issue with the art in Batwing, was it seemed muddled. I felt like I needed to keep rubbing my eyes to see clearly, like I had just woken up or something. That may not be attributed to the artist himself but maybe more the colorist. The whole book seemed unfinished part of that may be because there were hardly any backgrounds to speak of in the whole book.

Just didn't work as well for me as some of the other books in the new 52.

Did you even look at the cover?

I agree. I didn't like the cover when I first saw it. Not because of the pencils / blockiness but because of the composition. I didn't mind the interiors.

I think Brian A's reputation will superhero books will hold up.

Anyone remember Superman?

Not I. I don't usually read DC. What happened there?

Psst I didnt like the art in Proof either....

You didn't have to tell me that. I knew that from your taste. (thumbs u

Are you sure that you don't want to complain that Capullo's art in Batman #1 isn't too sketchy in some places? :baiting:

(thumbs u

I enjoyed the art it fit the story well.

I have 3 more tonight to read tonight.

Just dont pick up the Superman Run with Jim Lee and Brian A. as the writer is all I am saying.

However the art in Wonder Woman is horrendous. It made it very difficult for me to read and I have no desire to buy another issue.

First Animal Man and now this one? doh!

I know art is subjective, but you have bad taste, man. Or maybe it's just outdated. :jokealert:

No, he's right, the art in both of those books was horrendous.

The problem is, it's not just these 2 books, either. The art of the reboot is the most disappointing aspect of the entire relaunch. DC really could've amped up the anticipation with some kick- artists, but instead they got a bunch of 2nd-raters and no-namers. And then they go and put their best artist, Ivan Reis, on Aquaman? :headslap:

Ah a kinderd spirit. Nothing wrong with asking for decent art for $3.00

Ah Perez love I like him more and more. :cloud9:

Time out from all the art discussion. Has anyone noticed the easter egg running through all of the 52 #1's? There was a red cloaked woman who first appeared at the end of Flashpoint when the universes were merging. She has been appearing in one panel in every book this month. I don't know what her importance is yet, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Time out from all the art discussion. Has anyone noticed the easter egg running through all of the 52 #1's? There was a red cloaked woman who first appeared at the end of Flashpoint when the universes were merging. She has been appearing in one panel in every book this month. I don't know what her importance is yet, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I couldn't find her in Men of War.