• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

this is the kind of price that drives me nuts!!

36 posts in this topic

right. You could never buy these nice books AT guide, even before CGC,. I agree. (I did say 110 in guide...)

But one think I am consistently down on is the extreme multiples for 9.6 books. I just dont go along with the "double 9.4" prices that are the vogue of late.

I could understand these ratios (and perhaps we'll settle back to it after a while)

9.2 Guide, or guide and a half (depending on whether Bob has caught up or not on the particular book this year)

9.4 double guide, triple guide

9.6 triple guide, up to 5x guide, depending on demand, key status.

9.8 10-20% more than 9.6

and all ratios dependent on the price of the book: the most expensive books get the smallest multiples as they do now. Even the most newsworthy big sales like the AF15 in 9.4 was only 2.5 x guide... hows that sound?

Also, the beauty of COMICLINK, is that you can put your ENTIRE COLLECTION, with slightly above TOP of the Market Prices, for ZERO cost.

If someone wants to pay that price, you got a sale. If no one wants to pay that price, it cost you nothing and you still have your book.

And that sir, is the problem, as it creates a "let's price common books like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person" listings without any cost to the seller. There are no controls, there are no costs, and there is no reason for anything but the most insane and ludicrous pricing imaginable. Some of these books have been on there forever, and CL is more like a freakshow museum than a real marketplace.

Trust me, that kind of insanity is not good for the hobby, especially when CGC tried to instill some confidence in the market. We're all hoping to bring some level of professionalism to the collecting field, while CL is just one big running joke.

You say it's great, but I say it's an embarassment to the hobby, and that this utter stupidity WILL have longterm repercussions.

And that sir, is the problem, as it creates a "let's price common books like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person" listings without any cost to the seller. There are no controls, there are no costs, and there is no reason for anything but the most insane and ludicrous pricing imaginable. Some of these books have been on there forever, and CL is more like a freakshow museum than a real marketplace.

Trust me, that kind of insanity is not good for the hobby, especially when CGC tried to instill some confidence in the market. We're all hoping to bring some level of professionalism to the collecting field, while CL is just one big running joke.

You say it's great, but I say it's an embarassment to the hobby, and that this utter stupidity WILL have longterm repercussions.

Yes, alot of BIN prices on the CL are ridiculous but I've bought many comics on the Link by making lowball offers. Sometimes they are accepted, other times the seller makes a reasonable counter offer. You just gotta know how to work the system to your advantage. Sorry, I don't see how the CL pricing will doom our hobby. confused-smiley-013.gif

A free market, open auction format like EBay or Heritage? thumbsup2.gif

ComicLink is a free market...and somehow, comics sell off the newsstand, from dealers, and at cons outside of the auction format.

Is it FREE listing that bugs you? That's what bugs me about Yahoo auctions...those things SUCK because they're free. At least Josh weeds out the drek.

ComicLink is a free market...and somehow, comics sell off the newsstand, from dealers, and at cons outside of the auction format.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Yeah, it's definitely FREE, that's for sure. FREE to use, FREE to abuse, FREE to amuse... 27_laughing.gif

Listen, you guys can list your overpriced drek there all you want, but other than the BSD's looking for ultra-rare, hyper-valuable, one-of-a-kind items, CL is viewed as a real joke, especially for Bronze and Modern books.

And how is this different now than when it started 6-7 years ago? Stuff there has been often overpriced since I first started looking there. It's the same way on several dealer sites, also. I keep checking because every 6-18 months something really nice pops up there for a decent price, and also every once in a while, somebody actually accepts a fair bid if you make one.

And how is this different now than when it started 6-7 years ago? Stuff there has been often overpriced since I first started looking there.

Good point. I remember seeing some real head-scratching prices on the Link back in the day. foreheadslap.gif

And how is this different now than when it started 6-7 years ago? Stuff there has been often overpriced since I first started looking there.

Maybe it's the volume that's making it worse, or simply the fact that some inventory has been on there for years.

you know, even you dont sound convinced by your answer there, JC... smirk.gif

How's this for a better one.

If I were to drop water on your forehead, it might not bother you initially, and even over a short period of time, it might not get to you.

But in after an extended period, you'd go bonkers and have a nice dent in your forehead.

owww. hurts just thinking about it.

I think I was just struck by your use of a new word Ive never heard you use before:

"MAYBE..."

you actually came across as thoughtful and open to ideas on the subject and that you didnt actually have a black and white opinion! It was refreshing..! blush.gifgrin.gif