• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please help me out with this Ebay item.

41 posts in this topic

First, you didn't ask for the serial number. You asked for a picture of the serial number.

Secondly, interior signatures usually do not affect the grade. I have had 9.8 blue label books with interior signatures.

Clearly he objected to me having the serial number, so how is that relevant?

But I do appreciate the information about unverified signatures not affecting the grade.

I have seen this and heard of this before. People take the serial # and record it in their registry. I know sellers blur out the #s for this reason. You are jumping to conclusions!

I didn't jump to conclusions, I posted a question about it so I can gather opinions. I even later said it might not be fraud and pointed out his over 600 100% feedback.

First, you didn't ask for the serial number. You asked for a picture of the serial number.

Secondly, interior signatures usually do not affect the grade. I have had 9.8 blue label books with interior signatures.

But I do appreciate the information about unverified signatures not affecting the grade.

Whatever. Carry on, fine turnip. (thumbs u

The signature does affect the grade - just nowhere near the extent that an unverified signature on the cover of a blue label book does.

Btw, I'm fairly sure the CGC serial number on that book is 0781799002. It sold back in Feb for $3,900.

Whatever. Carry on, fine turnip. (thumbs u

Was that really necessary? Was I rude to you in any way? Doesn't make a difference I guess.

In any event thanks to everyone who provided input. I am curious though, if blue labels with unverified signatures affects the market value - for either interior or exterior sigs. If any of you have some knowledge in that area I greatly appreciate it.

The signature does affect the grade - just nowhere near the extent that an unverified signature on the cover of a blue label book does.

Btw, I'm fairly sure the CGC serial number on that book is 0781799002. It sold back in Feb for $3,900.

Thanks, mschmidt. Do the blue label sigs tend to be valued inline with other copies of the same grade?

He is a board member and as stated before, he does post in the TMNT threads occasionally. He and I have chatted a bit about counterfeit TMNT #1's before and how to identify them. I don't see anything wrong with the listing and I've seen plenty of board members in my day post books with obscured serial numbers. It's not new, although I think it is a little paranoid sometimes.

He goes by sessnet here, too. Send him a PM if you're really interested and see get some more info on the book. Maybe it'll put you at ease.

I've never had a deal with the guy, but I've never been given a reason not to.

He is a board member and as stated before, he does post in the TMNT threads occasionally. He and I have chatted a bit about counterfeit TMNT #1's before and how to identify them. I don't see anything wrong with the listing and I've seen plenty of board members in my day post books with obscured serial numbers. It's not new, although I think it is a little paranoid sometimes.

He goes by sessnet here, too. Send him a PM if you're really interested and see get some more info on the book. Maybe it'll put you at ease.

I've never had a deal with the guy, but I've never been given a reason not to.

Fair enough. And I would like to apologize to sessnet for making the "toolish" comment earlier in the thread. At the time I only knew him as a random guy on Ebay.

I still disagree with refusing to give a prospective buyer the serial number on a $4000 comic, but that's well within his rights.

Thanks, mschmidt. Do the blue label sigs tend to be valued inline with other copies of the same grade?

There are, of course, exceptions, but in general an interior sig on a blue label book doesn't really seem to affect the value either way.

I have seen this and heard of this before. People take the serial # and record it in their registry. I know sellers blur out the #s for this reason. You are jumping to conclusions!

+1

+ another 1. :)

I blur serial numbers all the time for various reasons. I also ask why someone wants it when requested. I tend to do it with higher priced and multiple copy items.

Is it just me, or does it look like the book doesn't fit well inside the slab?

It does look small for the slab, doesn't it. CGC would put "second print" on the slab if that's what it was, right?

TMNT #1 is an over-sized book that they have to encapsulate in a magazine-sized slab. Here is a pic of Adam's (Peter Palmer's) #1.

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/ComicDetail.aspx?PeopleComicID=208757&PeopleSetID=33587

Again, Adonis, please be careful of misinformation and implications that just aren't true.

People really stoop that low for a registry set?

Yes, they do. People are low down creatures at time. Welcome to the real world.

All in all, this whole thread is a mess of raving over nothing.

So basic question here if it has autographs on it why is it not yellow label ?

Because the signatures weren't witnessed by CGC.

I thought stuff like that got different colored label other than blue though (shrug)

Nevermind. I see Michael already covered it.

yes really thanks for asking!

I thought stuff like that got different colored label other than blue though (shrug)

Were the signatures on the cover, the book would most likely be in a green (Qualified) label. Being that CGC is much more lenient on interior sigs, these books are often encapsulated in blue labels.

You're confusing signatures on the inside (eg. on an interior page or the inside cover) with signatures on the outside (on the exterior cover).

A book with an unverified signature on the exterior is a Green (Qualified) label by default and the book is graded as if the signature doesn't exist. You can ask for a Blue label, but the signature will then count as a grade-dropping defect (and will result in a pretty severe grade drop).

A book with an unverified signature on the interior is a Blue (Universal) label by default and the signature affects the grade - but much, much less than if the signature was on the cover.

Hi all,

Sorry for catching this late.

If I came across as being a tool, it is because I didn't want to part with this book. I am buying a house at the moment and needed the money. I was selling it in desperation, sort of a "hail mary" to try and get a chunk of the money needed for a house. Since I put that book up for sale, I've acquired the money - and have no reason to sell the book anymore.

So it was on ebay for a few more days because I was debating whether or not it was worth selling it any more. When paratrooper contacted me about it, it made me angry that I would have to sell it, and that someone was going to try and talk me down, and my defenses went up (sorry dude). I realized I love it to death - and would hate to sell it.

Basically I was ticked off that I had forced myself to sell it, and I wasn't going to make it easy for a buyer to talk me down any more than the low price it was already set at. I felt like I was robbing myself. I should have just ended the auction days before.

As far as the serial goes - on a CGC book that I own, it's mine right? I didn't feel like I should put it out there publicly. Indeed I was paranoid that someone would swipe the number and add it to a set. I was not just thinking of me, but the future buyer as well. I don't know how the registry stuff goes, and I assumed that is why people blur out the serials, so I followed suit.

I don't have a registry set, but this book alone would probably put someone pretty high up there.

The book was set to a decent price, and under what I had bought it from another board member here (not on eBay but directly). Even with the Buy it now, I would have took a hit and more, with the fees. If someone REALLY wanted it (nice price and all) they should have bought it - it was a good deal. I was hoping my feedback showed I was not trying to scam anyone.

I doubt I would ever sell it - I'm happy I got to keep my beloved book, and that the money for the house was raised otherwise. My apologies if anyone may have missed out on the book, or felt like I was trying to scam them.

-Pete

Hi all,

Sorry for catching this late.

If I came across as being a tool, it is because I didn't want to part with this book. I am buying a house at the moment and needed the money. I was selling it in desperation, sort of a "hail mary" to try and get a chunk of the money needed for a house. Since I put that book up for sale, I've acquired the money - and have no reason to sell the book anymore.

So it was on ebay for a few more days because I was debating whether or not it was worth selling it any more. When paratrooper contacted me about it, it made me angry that I would have to sell it, and that someone was going to try and talk me down, and my defenses went up (sorry dude). I realized I love it to death - and would hate to sell it.

Basically I was ticked off that I had forced myself to sell it, and I wasn't going to make it easy for a buyer to talk me down any more than the low price it was already set at. I felt like I was robbing myself. I should have just ended the auction days before.

As far as the serial goes - on a CGC book that I own, it's mine right? I didn't feel like I should put it out there publicly. Indeed I was paranoid that someone would swipe the number and add it to a set. I was not just thinking of me, but the future buyer as well. I don't know how the registry stuff goes, and I assumed that is why people blur out the serials, so I followed suit.

I don't have a registry set, but this book alone would probably put someone pretty high up there.

The book was set to a decent price, and under what I had bought it from another board member here (not on eBay but directly). Even with the Buy it now, I would have took a hit and more, with the fees. If someone REALLY wanted it (nice price and all) they should have bought it - it was a good deal. I was hoping my feedback showed I was not trying to scam anyone.

I doubt I would ever sell it - I'm happy I got to keep my beloved book, and that the money for the house was raised otherwise. My apologies if anyone may have missed out on the book, or felt like I was trying to scam them.

-Pete

Hello, Pete.

I hope you caught that I apologized earlier for my "toolish" comment. I made it not knowing you are a CGC board member.

For the record, I commented a couple times that your BIN price was surprisingly reasonable for Ebay. I didn't PM you to talk you down in price, just to get the serial number. But I was going to submit an initial offer price of $4000. The last 9.4 on GPA records sold for $4,125 and the last "Signed/Remarked Eastman/Laird" copy sold for $3900, which presumably could be yours. So I thought $4000 was a very fair offer, and I likely would have accepted a reasonable counter offer.

You posted your listing with the "Make Offer" option, which gives the impression you're willing to negotiate.

I'm very happy you got to keep a comic you love so much. I found an AF15, which was my first choice so it looks like it worked out well for both of us. (thumbs u

Congratulations on getting to hang on to it and the new house!

Thanks man!

I know you apologized about the "tool" thing, but truthfully that's how I felt like, since I was bitter/annoyed about someone possibly offering me less for the book. You sound like a really cool, respectful and reasonable gentleman - basically the opposite of your typical ebayer - "I WILL PAY YOU $1000 FOR YOUR COMIC CAN YOU SAVE IT FOR NEXT MONTH THATS WHEN I GET MY DISABILITY CHECK I JUST WENT AND BOUGHT A FLATSCREEN TV FOR MY GIRLFRIEND AND I DONT WANT HER TO KNOW SO PLEASE KEEP THE BOOK FOR ME I CAN PAY YOU IF YOU AGREE TO $1000 TELL ME YES NOW PLEASE I HAVE TO GO TO WORK AND WILL EMAILYOU TOMMOROW DO YOU HAVE A FACEBOOK" etc..

I bought the 9.4 off another board member for $4500. If someone bought it for the BIN of $4250, then ebay and paypal would have took $250 more. So $4000 for a book that I paid $4500 for...would have left me feeling pretty chumpy-like, even if the money was going to a good cause.

Having to take a hit on a possession you really love, can make you see red, instead of green :)

I am glad you got an AF15! That is a way better investment, and the book means way more to way more people. If you have an extra G sitting around you should be able to get a decent copy of the turtles #1, then you'll have two books you want : )

Everything seemed to have worked out and I am glad we both are enjoying our books :)

Congratulations to you!

-Pete