• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Death of Superman

19 posts in this topic

Not being a DC fan I havent read this story arc but I was curious, so I picked it up off eBay. I thought the story was ok, but something struck me and that is a difference I saw between DC writing and Marvel writing. Marvel writing seems a bit darker then DC for some reason. Or maybe I just havent read enough DC! confused-smiley-013.gif

I stack all "Death of..." story arcs up against the greatest I have read... Death of Pheonix. That one was quintessential. It had all my favorite characters yes, but I love Supes to and I expected this to be a knock down, drag out kind of a story which it was. But I do have a couple of question like what exactly was the "doomsday" thingy and where did it come from? Why was it so damn tough? And what the heck was going on with Supergirl? One punch and she turns into some kind of gray poppy-eyed martian?? Was she the real supergirl or a fake?

I know this story came out a while back but as I said I am not a DC fan. This is the first time I picked it up and was wondering what others thought of it?

Even though the Death of Superman was an interesting read, you should really read the Death of Superboy in the old Legion Of Super-Heroes #37 and #38. It may very wll be the best 2 comics I've ever read!

Timely

where to start? That Supergirl was a creature that chose to believe itself "Supergirl". She was around for many years and was phased out by Peter David (writer of the Supergirl series) DC created an origin for Doomsday about a yera later. Seems it was some kind of lab experiment where an organism was attcked and killed repeatedly, and revived, so that it learned to get tougher and tougher and was able to foinally defeat anything it was up against. At some poin it escaped and made a beeline for Superman.. I cant remember why.

But all of these sequels and prequels are also available in trade paperback I believe. I enjoyed the 'mystery' of the Return of Superman. We were given 4 contenders, one of which contained the "essense" of the dead Superman. Iy lasted a year before a long haired black costumed Suped reappeared from the dead!

It was a very readable ride for a number of years...

where to start? That Supergirl was a creature that chose to believe itself "Supergirl". She was around for many years and was phased out by Peter David (writer of the Supergirl series) DC created an origin for Doomsday about a yera later. Seems it was some kind of lab experiment where an organism was attcked and killed repeatedly, and revived, so that it learned to get tougher and tougher and was able to foinally defeat anything it was up against. At some poin it escaped and made a beeline for Superman.. I cant remember why.

But all of these sequels and prequels are also available in trade paperback I believe. I enjoyed the 'mystery' of the Return of Superman. We were given 4 contenders, one of which contained the "essense" of the dead Superman. Iy lasted a year before a long haired black costumed Suped reappeared from the dead!

It was a very readable ride for a number of years...

thanks for the info! thumbsup2.gif

DC created an origin for Doomsday about a yera later. Seems it was some kind of lab experiment where an organism was attcked and killed repeatedly, and revived, so that it learned to get tougher and tougher and was able to foinally defeat anything it was up against. At some poin it escaped and made a beeline for Superman.. I cant remember why..

I think the scientists who created him were kryptonian and it had an instant hateon for anything kryptonian.

It landed on a planet where it went on a rampage killing everyting. they finally were able to subdue him and while they could not kill him they put him in a straight jacket and launched him into deep space where he crash landed on earth..

I remember a bunker filled with scientists and the monster living ouside on the desolate planet... but wasnt Doomsday in a coma or something inside the Earth and then woke up? Or did the mayhem begin when he landed on Earth?

Even though the Death of Superman was an interesting read, you should really read the Death of Superboy in the old Legion Of Super-Heroes #37 and #38. It may very wll be the best 2 comics I've ever read!

Timely

Its a four part story,with the first two appearing in Superman books, don't recall the numbers but one of them has a Bryne cover ripping off(paying homage to?) an FF cover he did.

The first two storys start slow but the Legion ones are sensational. Amongst the best I've read. Also try to find the two-part Alan Moore story that ended the original Superman run before Byrne revamped him.

Also try to find the two-part Alan Moore story that ended the original Superman run before Byrne revamped him.

Excellent story! thumbsup2.gif

awesome story!! How about Mr Mxyzptlk??? Didnt see that coming!

Alan Moore really got right to ther heart of Superman in that one and the birthday gift story where Batman and WW came over to the Fortress for Supes Bday with prsents, including a device that gives the user his fondest desire! Mongul was the badguy.... Great ending!

Timely

who killed Superboy? confused-smiley-013.gif

Also try to find the two-part Alan Moore story that ended the original Superman run before Byrne revamped him.

Alan Moore worked on Action comics and Superman (which soon became Adventures of Superman with Ordway). thumbsup2.gif

thats kind of an exxaggeration. since the only Supes stories Moore wrote were that two-issue story that was the last "Silver Age" Superman story ever before the posst-Byrne relaunch and the Annual I wrote about earlier. Moore wasnt the regular writer i=on any Superman title at any time.

--nit picking Aman smile.gif

Timely

Kahn,Levitz,Wolfman and Perez!

Timely

Kahn,Levitz,Wolfman and Perez!

actually I was more interested in what comic character did the deed... gossip.gif

Timely

Forget Superboy, who killed J.R.? I never watched Dallas and never found out.

DC created an origin for Doomsday about a year later. Seems it was some kind of lab experiment where an organism was attacked and killed repeatedly, and revived, so that it learned to get tougher and tougher and was able to finally defeat anything it was up against.

If I remember correctly, it was a little more creative... (but only slightly so...)

A regular baby was exposed to the elements of the deadly planet...

Of course it was killed by something out there almost instantly.

The remains were collected and the DNA was used to create another baby.

It was sent into the elements and killed, remains collected, DNA extracted, etc.

The laboratory was forcing genetic mutation through "survival of the fittest" in a

rapid sequence of create-destroy-recreate. Over time, the "baby" began to last

longer than a few seconds. Then minutes. Then hours. etc.

Eventually the "baby" didn't die at all... and was "top of the food chain" on that planet.

We later find out that this all happened "long, long ago", and the planet was Krypton.

Not a bad origin, really.

But, somehow they chain "it" to a rock, shoot it into space... it lands on Earth, etc.

DC created an origin for Doomsday about a year later. Seems it was some kind of lab experiment where an organism was attacked and killed repeatedly, and revived, so that it learned to get tougher and tougher and was able to finally defeat anything it was up against.

If I remember correctly, it was a little more creative... (but only slightly so...)

A regular baby was exposed to the elements of the deadly planet...

Of course it was killed by something out there almost instantly.

The remains were collected and the DNA was used to create another baby.

It was sent into the elements and killed, remains collected, DNA extracted, etc.

The laboratory was forcing genetic mutation through "survival of the fittest" in a

rapid sequence of create-destroy-recreate. Over time, the "baby" began to last

longer than a few seconds. Then minutes. Then hours. etc.

Eventually the "baby" didn't die at all... and was "top of the food chain" on that planet.

We later find out that this all happened "long, long ago", and the planet was Krypton.

Not a bad origin, really.

But, somehow they chain "it" to a rock, shoot it into space... it lands on Earth, etc.

cool concept! very Marvelesk!! thumbsup2.gif

Superman/Doomsday: Hunter/Prey

This 3-issue Prestige Format miniseries written and pencilled by Dan Jurgens chronicled Superman's rematch with the beast that killed him, Doomsday. Unable to accept the fact that somewhere in space Doomsday may be murdering millions, Superman flies to outer space to make sure that Doomsday is really dead. Waverider provides a clue to Superman that tells him Doomsday is on Apokolips, where he has just finished dusting the floor with Darkseid. In fact, Darkseid is so afraid of Doomsday that he suggests evacuating Apokolips. Superman arrives on Apokolips in time to help Darkseid out, at which point the Cyborg reveals himself and attempts to take over Apokolips. Darkseid apparently destroys the Cyborg, but in reality he captures his consciousness to be used in the future against Superman. Desaad, Darkseid's underling, boom-tubes Doomsday off of Apokolips to the planet that once devised a means to vanquish Doomsday, Calaton. However, Waverider uses his powers to uncover the origin of Doomsday, and he learns that Doomsday has the capability to 'evolve' beyond any death he suffers. Realizing that Calaton won't be able to beat Doomsday twice, Superman and Waverider travel there to put an end to his murderous rampage. Superman knows he won't be able to beat Doomsday twice either, so he uses Waverider's time-travel bracelet to bring Doomsday to the end of time, where the forces of entropy tear him apart, thereby apparently ending his existence.

==================================

What exactly did Waverider uncover?