• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cavewoman. Some questions.

34 posts in this topic

I'm a HUGE Cavewoman fan. :cloud9: Root has an extremely loyal and rabid fanbase, if not a somewhat small one. His first book I read was the 1994 original series' Issue 3 (origin issue). I was instantly hooked and sought out the first couple issues. (Mind you, this was pre-internet in '94...I was lucky enough to find several copies of 1 and 2 at a store in California and ordered them over the phone from Virginia for a couple dollars each.) It became one of my all-time fave independent comics by the end of that original series. Definitely check out Budd's follow-up series 'Rain' as well, in which I had a letter published in one of those issues. :acclaim:

I would agree with the previous poster that I'm not nearly as interested in the non-Root stuff that comes out these days. I think Budd stopped doing the book himself because he's gotten overly busy with commissions, among other things, sticking to just doing cover art for the various current series. (shrug)

As for that original series, definitely pick up the tpb. You can usually find it for around $10 with patience & perseverance. That rabid fanbase I mentioned earlier keeps the prices on those original issues pretty steep. They're also difficult to find in high grade for that matter, particularly Issue 1. I don't recall ever seeing a 9.8 Issue 1 for sale anywhere. I'm sure those owners would rather sell their kid than such a HG copy. :sumo: You could also seek out the 'Reloaded' series, which reprints the original series with extra pages of story/art, rather like a Director's cut to better round out Budd's true vision for that series.

There's been mention of an original series from the 80s? I've never heard of that from Root. Perhaps it's an altogether different book and creator? Does anyone have more details, or do people mean the 90s original series?

Anyway, I love the character/book so much that I custom bound the first two series along with some extras. Here's a pic of it....

Cavewoman.jpg

I'm a HUGE Cavewoman fan. :cloud9: Root has an extremely loyal and rabid fanbase, if not a somewhat small one. His first book I read was the 1994 original series' Issue 3 (origin issue). I was instantly hooked and sought out the first couple issues. (Mind you, this was pre-internet in '94...I was lucky enough to find a several issues of 1 and 2 at a store in California and ordered them over the phone from Virginia for a couple dollars each.) It became one of my all-time fave independent comics by the end of that original series. Definitely check out Budd's follow-up series 'Rain' as well, in which I had a letter published in one of those issues. :acclaim:

I would agree with the previous poster that I'm not nearly as interested in the non-Root stuff that comes out these days. I think Budd stopped doing the book himself because he's gotten overly busy with commissions, among other things, sticking to just doing cover art for the various current series. (shrug)

As for that original series, definitely pick up the tpb. You can usually find it for around $10 with patience & perseverance. That rabid fanbase I mentioned earlier keeps the prices on those original issues pretty steep. They're also difficult to find in high grade for that matter, particularly Issue 1. I don't recall ever seeing a 9.8 Issue 1 for sale anywhere. I'm sure those owners would rather sell their kid than such a HG copy. :sumo: You could also seek out the 'Reloaded' series, which reprints the original series with extra pages of story/art, rather like a Director's cut to better round out Budd's true vision for that series.

There's been mention of an original series from the 80s? I've never heard of that from Root. Perhaps it's an altogether different book and creator? Does anyone have more details, or do people mean the 90s original series?

Anyway, I love the character/book so much that I custom bound the first two series along with some extras. Here's a pic of it....

Cavewoman.jpg

That is cool as hell...

I think the art is great! I've got a lot of Cavewoman Budd Root art, some is for sale.

Here is the link.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetailSearch.asp?Artist=Budd+Root&GCat=25394&GSub=47732

You have some fantastic peices there! Nice. Thanks for sharing the links. Did you see Budd's Action Comics #1 recreation, on the same site? It is quite honestly one of the greatest peices of art I've seen. Undoubtedly his greatest work, in my opinion.

Actually, that piece is mine. I commissioned Budd to do that piece for me. It was my idea and basic outline of what I wanted. He more than delivered for me!

I have always liked stories set in prehistoric times, anything with dinosaurs, cavemen, etc. I also like time travel stories, so this series kinda grabbed me when I first discovered it.

I missed out on the original series when it came out, but picked up Rain and a TPB of the original series, I think there was one more series after that, that I bought as well.

I actually liked the read. If I remember, it is about a time travel type thing where a whole town was transported back to dinosaur days. Cavewoman and an ape I think is named Clyde traveled back earlier, and something gave those two some kind of super powers. So Cavewoman basically grew up there.

It's cheesy, but Budd's art is fun, and the stories are entertaining. I lost interest after the first few story arcs.

I think the art is great! I've got a lot of Cavewoman Budd Root art, some is for sale.

Here is the link.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetailSearch.asp?Artist=Budd+Root&GCat=25394&GSub=47732

You have some fantastic peices there! Nice. Thanks for sharing the links. Did you see Budd's Action Comics #1 recreation, on the same site? It is quite honestly one of the greatest peices of art I've seen. Undoubtedly his greatest work, in my opinion.

Actually, that piece is mine. I commissioned Budd to do that piece for me. It was my idea and basic outline of what I wanted. He more than delivered for me!

Congrats. I also appreciated the description you had along with it. The piece is museum worthy. I can't say enough good things about it. Well done!

I have always liked stories set in prehistoric times, anything with dinosaurs, cavemen, etc. I also like time travel stories, so this series kinda grabbed me when I first discovered it.

I missed out on the original series when it came out, but picked up Rain and a TPB of the original series, I think there was one more series after that, that I bought as well.

I actually liked the read. If I remember, it is about a time travel type thing where a whole town was transported back to dinosaur days. Cavewoman and an ape I think is named Clyde traveled back earlier, and something gave those two some kind of super powers. So Cavewoman basically grew up there.

It's cheesy, but Budd's art is fun, and the stories are entertaining. I lost interest after the first few story arcs.

Thanks Silver! I'll definitely give it a whirl. While it doesn't strike me as what some may call "great storytelling", it sure looks like a lot of fun! I'm looking forward to it.

I'm a HUGE Cavewoman fan. :cloud9: Root has an extremely loyal and rabid fanbase, if not a somewhat small one. His first book I read was the 1994 original series' Issue 3 (origin issue). I was instantly hooked and sought out the first couple issues. (Mind you, this was pre-internet in '94...I was lucky enough to find several copies of 1 and 2 at a store in California and ordered them over the phone from Virginia for a couple dollars each.) It became one of my all-time fave independent comics by the end of that original series. Definitely check out Budd's follow-up series 'Rain' as well, in which I had a letter published in one of those issues. :acclaim:

Cavewoman.jpg

That hardcover collection you made is so amazing. If you don't mind me asking, how did you make it? It looks professionally done, with the 4-color endpapers and all.

Your enthusiasm for Cavewoman is contagious. I am definitely going to read Cavewoman, starting with the trade paperback collecting the original comics.

As for the 80s series, I was mistaken with the decade. I was indeed referring to Budd's original early 90s Cavewoman. My mistake. doh!

That hardcover collection you made is so amazing. If you don't mind me asking, how did you make it? It looks professionally done, with the 4-color endpapers and all.

Your enthusiasm for Cavewoman is contagious. I am definitely going to read Cavewoman, starting with the trade paperback collecting the original comics.

As for the 80s series, I was mistaken with the decade. I was indeed referring to Budd's original early 90s Cavewoman. My mistake. doh!

Thanks for the kind words! I hope you like the series even a tenth as much as I have.

As for the custom bind, that's something I've begun somewhat doing as an offshoot of this hobby. Let's my collection sit nicely on my shelves rather than stuck in a box in my closet.

I use David Banks at SingleBoundStudios.com (he just switched to a brand new site, which looks like it will be really nice when fully updated with all the features). David is fantastic and very patient with helping the process along. He actually created those endpapers for me with my guidance. His other site is DPBanks.com, which is where I found him originally. I use the Premium Binding "art-on-cover" through the Capital Binding bindery with him. Warning though, it can get expensive, beyond what's listed. Not to mention buying the issues themselves to be bound. This binding ended up being $200+ altogether when I was done with it. But there are much cheaper options for the cost-conscious. I just had the mindset going in that if I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna go all out and make a beauty to sit on my shelf, as it's going to last a lifetime up there and more. So, I added things like a Table of Contents, my own written Foreword, internet reviews of the series, a magazine interview with Budd Root, etc. :headbang:

Thanks for the kind words! I hope you like the series even a tenth as much as I have.

As for the custom bind, that's something I've begun somewhat doing as an offshoot of this hobby. Let's my collection sit nicely on my shelves rather than stuck in a box in my closet.

I use David Banks at SingleBoundStudios.com (he just switched to a brand new site, which looks like it will be really nice when fully updated with all the features). David is fantastic and very patient with helping the process along. He actually created those endpapers for me with my guidance. His other site is DPBanks.com, which is where I found him originally. I use the Premium Binding "art-on-cover" through the Capital Binding bindery with him. Warning though, it can get expensive, beyond what's listed. Not to mention buying the issues themselves to be bound. This binding ended up being $200+ altogether when I was done with it. But there are much cheaper options for the cost-conscious. I just had the mindset going in that if I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna go all out and make a beauty to sit on my shelf, as it's going to last a lifetime up there and more. So, I added things like a Table of Contents, my own written Foreword, internet reviews of the series, a magazine interview with Budd Root, etc. :headbang:

Fantastic! (worship) I will definitely be using David's expertise in the future. Did you notice that your Cavewoman book is on the front page of his site. Again, I say, well done!

How does he, or how did you account for the gutter? How do you make sure nothing is lost in there? (I work in publishing so I know a lot about this sort of thing.)

Nice touch with the ribbon too. Classy! :applause:

Edit: I noticed it says "Premium Binding coming soon." How did you get that option for your Cavewoman tome. I'm curious; was it an over-the-phone order?

Fantastic! (worship) I will definitely be using David's expertise in the future. Did you notice that your Cavewoman book is on the front page of his site. Again, I say, well done!

How does he, or how did you account for the gutter? How do you make sure nothing is lost in there? (I work in publishing so I know a lot about this sort of thing.)

Nice touch with the ribbon too. Classy! :applause:

Edit: I noticed it says "Premium Binding coming soon." How did you get that option for your Cavewoman tome. I'm curious; was it an over-the-phone order?

I wondered if you had experience in the publishing area when you mentioned the term endpapers. That's something David had to explain to me, and I still didn't quite get it until he showed me the end product.

And yes, I did notice that the Cavewoman book cycles through every so often! Funny that it was there when you went to the site. Thanks for the compliments. It was probably the most challenging book I put together of the six submitted to David, simply because of the extras added, and the artwork inside.

Which brings us to the gutter loss issue (you DO already know all the terms! you'll do quite well conversing with David)... Kevin at Capital Bindery had a VERY difficult time with the gutter loss on this series, which accounted for the higher cost to the bind in the end. But he's frankly a genius working his magic on his bindings and takes a lot of pride in each and every book he puts together. You have to be patient with him, but he makes some beautiful books by the end. Anyway, gutter loss is never really an issue. Kevin keeps it in mind at all times, and will advise if he thinks that some loss is unavoidable.

Oh, and David's been around for years helping people with this binding hobby through his DPBanks.com site. He's just finally getting around to creating a formal business website since it's becoming so popular and he's helping people full time. Tell him I said hello if you reach out to him! And that I've got more projects coming his way once the new site updates with the Premium Binding section. Although, I'm sure I could still send him stuff now using the old method. But I figured I'd wait.

I like dinosaurs and comic books, so I picked up a Cavewoman TPB once in a used book store. I read it, and gave it back. It's VERY cheesy, art is focused on star character's huge knockers...there's just not much depth in what could have been a very interesting concept. In fact, the idea is probably worth revisting by a more talented writer.

I wondered if you had experience in the publishing area when you mentioned the term endpapers. That's something David had to explain to me, and I still didn't quite get it until he showed me the end product.

And yes, I did notice that the Cavewoman book cycles through every so often! Funny that it was there when you went to the site. Thanks for the compliments. It was probably the most challenging book I put together of the six submitted to David, simply because of the extras added, and the artwork inside.

Which brings us to the gutter loss issue (you DO already know all the terms! you'll do quite well conversing with David)... Kevin at Capital Bindery had a VERY difficult time with the gutter loss on this series, which accounted for the higher cost to the bind in the end. But he's frankly a genius working his magic on his bindings and takes a lot of pride in each and every book he puts together. You have to be patient with him, but he makes some beautiful books by the end. Anyway, gutter loss is never really an issue. Kevin keeps it in mind at all times, and will advise if he thinks that some loss is unavoidable.

Oh, and David's been around for years helping people with this binding hobby through his DPBanks.com site. He's just finally getting around to creating a formal business website since it's becoming so popular and he's helping people full time. Tell him I said hello if you reach out to him! And that I've got more projects coming his way once the new site updates with the Premium Binding section. Although, I'm sure I could still send him stuff now using the old method. But I figured I'd wait.

All good things to know. Thanks for the background info. It seems like the gutter issue is dealt with on a case by case basis and even then only if it poses a threat to the text or art.

Usually for a hardcover book like that, at a comic's dimensions, the gutter is commonly best set at, at least, 3/4'' of an inch; when you read yours do you find you have to pull the front and back cover apart to, sort of, dig into the gutter to read any text boxes? I imagine this would happen on occasion. Still, it's probably a small price to pay to have an excellent book of your favorite series.

Anyway, your comments will undoubtedly help once I get the gears turning on a book for myself. I will need to do some shopping around for issues and whatnot in the meantime.

Once I drop a line to David, I will mention Dane323 the Cavewoman guy for sure! :)

I like dinosaurs and comic books, so I picked up a Cavewoman TPB once in a used book store. I read it, and gave it back. It's VERY cheesy, art is focused on star character's huge knockers...there's just not much depth in what could have been a very interesting concept. In fact, the idea is probably worth revisting by a more talented writer.

I suppose this is why Cavewoman seems to have a somewhat cult-ish, albeit, rabid fanbase (from what I've been told). Perhaps it's one of those "love it or hate it" things. Thanks for letting me know your opinion. (thumbs u