• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Promotional Comic Books...

21 posts in this topic

I noticed a few promotional comics in my collection and searched the older posts and didn't see anything on this. Who here collects them?

This thread is full of promotional books from the golden age.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1097400&fpart=1

swordquest.jpg

I have never seen this one before. What is Swordquest?

It was an Atari game in the 80's that came with a mini-sized comic. Here's some info on it from Wiki. This issue was drawn by George Perez and inked by D ick Giordano. I believe only three issues were published but I only have issue #1.

My cousin had a promo comic of Ready Kilowatt that he found in the attic of a farm house his father bought. I tried to get it from him but he wont give it up. It's from the mid 50's and would grade very high...I'll try to get a picture of it.

My cousin had a promo comic of Ready Kilowatt that he found in the attic of a farm house his father bought. I tried to get it from him but he wont give it up. It's from the mid 50's and would grade very high...I'll try to get a picture of it.

There are literally tons of high grade promos like that from the 50s and 60s. They are high grade because no one read them. Its not unusual to find hundreds of copies that were undistributed and sat in a file drawer for forty years.

There are literally tons of high grade promos like that from the 50s and 60s. They are high grade because no one read them. Its not unusual to find hundreds of copies that were undistributed and sat in a file drawer for forty years.

TRAPPED! is a classic example of this- a 1950s anti-drug comic that is so plentiful that high grade copies sell for 5 or 10 bucks. Given the subject matter, if it were only as scarce as the average 1950s comic, it'd probably be at least a $100 book in high grade.