• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is Superman buff?

15 posts in this topic

Superman is strong because of the difference in gravity from Earth to Krypton.

Since he can literally lift any object on Earth, how can he find something that will give him enough resistance to actually build muscle?

Wouldn't it be more realistic if Superman had more of a breadstick armed comic nerd body instead of his cut and buff bodybuilder frame?

Since he can literally lift any object on Earth, how can he find something that will give him enough resistance to actually build muscle?

Wouldn't it be more realistic if Superman had more of a breadstick armed comic nerd body instead of his cut and buff bodybuilder frame?

A scrawny looking supes would never have been much luck with the ladies... besides he needs to look good in tights.

Can you imagine a 90lbs superhero acting tough against the bad guys ?

Maybe he would have to use the gravity and mass of a yellow star like The Sun to get the resistance? At the right distance he might get enough effect. Just a thought. (shrug)

I used to always wonder about that myself, but in reading some of the more recent stories like Kingdom Come and others, I get the impression that the earth's gravity has nothing really to do with it. Rather Supes is a "solar creature" (a term I read somewhere) and the radiation from our yellow Sun makes him a sort of alien "super soldier" ala Capt America, with obvious other abilities not found in human beings. In addition to these other abilities (flight, heat vision, etc.), it also allows his body to be in the absolute fittest shape by default. Once again, similar to Capt America. Unlike Capt America however, who rec'd only a single dose of the serum, Supes gets a steady stream of solar radiation. So long as they stays in the solar system, he continues to absorb this energy and get even more powerful.

I used to always wonder about that myself, but in reading some of the more recent stories like Kingdom Come and others, I get the impression that the earth's gravity has nothing really to do with it. Rather Supes is a "solar creature" (a term I read somewhere) and the radiation from our yellow Sun makes him a sort of alien "super soldier" ala Capt America, with obvious other abilities not found in human beings. In addition to these other abilities (flight, heat vision, etc.), it also allows his body to be in the absolute fittest shape by default. Once again, similar to Capt America. Unlike Capt America however, who rec'd only a single dose of the serum, Supes gets a steady stream of solar radiation. So long as they stays in the solar system, he continues to absorb this energy and get even more powerful.

Interesting. Never thought about that parallel before. (thumbs u

Kryptonian genetics + yellow sunlight = human + super soldier serum + Vita-Rays

You're assuming that muscle mass has something to do with relative resistance. In several species of mammals (and for the sake of argument let's assume Superman is enough human for this) it's more related to genetics. The myostatin gene and bio-availability of testosterone have more to do with creating muscle mass than any amount of resistance (or resistance training).

This dog has a genetic condition that limits the amount of mysotatin he produces thereby allowing him to have an abnormal amount of muscle mass. (Yup, that's a real picture; not Photoshopped).

myostatin-mutant-whippet.jpg

This kid (born in Germany in 2004) also has the same myostatin deficiency. He has 2x the muscle mass of a kid his age and 1/2 the body fat.

german-baby-myostatin.jpg

If Superman's body was actually constructed like a human's, it wouldn't matter how strong his muscles were because his joints and connective tissues, which humans can't build up, would be ripped to shreds lifting up a car, let alone a skyscraper. So there's no reason to think his muscles function like human muscle does, so you can't assume that he needs resistance to build them.