• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Went to an estate auction tonight in rural Indiana.

69 posts in this topic

Did you at least stop and buy some road side corn? Sometimes a good ear of corn can make an event like this much better.

I wonder if we will be seeing these books in a auction shortly.

Cow corn is pretty tough. Especially this late in the growing season.

That was a great price on that Action #2 It's definately worth more.

If I got in the bidding duel, it probably would have cost me double. It just isn't the direction my collection is going. I did get this . . . .

DPS005.jpg

The 'And Others' . . . that the cover hints at includes . . .

Bob Kane -- Bruce Wayne work in progress story in mood effective Black & White.

Well, from the prices on these 2 pre-Batman Detective lots, it looks like the bidders would have donw much better at a Heritage or ComicConnect auction! :tonofbricks:

The guy that bought the $4600 box of brittle tattered coverless comics told someone that there was a Detective Comics #27 in the box. It is going to be like driving past an accident on the highway to see the expression on his face when he finds out he got a coverless #teen-something and a pre-27 (Crimson Avenger issue) -- you don't want to look, but you can't help but look.

I went to an auction (in the same kind of area) last year, in cow country PA, 20 miles from the nearest hotel..there were a few other boarders a dealer or two (who left after the first 5 lots, they gave up)..a guy from Mass and a tall nice looking gentleman who was an eBay seller. They bid up EVERYTHING, the eBay guy (Betemholdem) is STILL trying to sell the books, the Mass guy was a collector. Betemholdem, bid an insane amount on a coverless box because I think he thought there was a Betty and Veronica #1 in there :shrug:.

I came home with 2/3 of the money I brought to spend, just kept shaking my head in awe.

I was joking and told the auctioneer that I was going to bring him my collection to sell...the next day I saw that printed in their local newspaper, it was a big local event that auction, with press coverage;)

genrlzod (erich) and flying-donut (dan) were there...they might remember better....but stopped to talk to him after the auction

I think his first name was prentiss...and my apologies for saying it's strange if someone else is named prentiss...it was unusual.

Don't remember a baseball cap, but I think he was balding, so that is possible, I can ask my husband, but he probably didn't pay attention.

I just know I outbid him on one book, a Venus and I think that was because he was starting to feel sorry for me, lol;) or he figured I was going to keep going. I bid way over guide on a few things because they were books I wanted to keep, and the two of them doubled my bids. There was a HT (not a hard book to find) that went for about 3 times guide. Grades did not appear to be an issue for them

I notice that Betemholdem has the books listed and says he doesn't grade...I can see why, lol:)

Well, from the prices on these 2 pre-Batman Detective lots, it looks like the bidders would have donw much better at a Heritage or ComicConnect auction! :tonofbricks:

The guy that bought the $4600 box of brittle tattered coverless comics told someone that there was a Detective Comics #27 in the box. It is going to be like driving past an accident on the highway to see the expression on his face when he finds out he got a coverless #teen-something and a pre-27 (Crimson Avenger issue) -- you don't want to look, but you can't help but look.

I went to an auction (in the same kind of area) last year, in cow country PA, 20 miles from the nearest hotel..there were a few other boarders a dealer or two (who left after the first 5 lots, they gave up)..a guy from Mass and a tall nice looking gentleman who was an eBay seller. They bid up EVERYTHING, the eBay guy (Betemholdem) is STILL trying to sell the books, the Mass guy was a collector. Betemholdem, bid an insane amount on a coverless box because I think he thought there was a Betty and Veronica #1 in there :shrug:.

I came home with 2/3 of the money I brought to spend, just kept shaking my head in awe.

I was joking and told the auctioneer that I was going to bring him my collection to sell...the next day I saw that printed in their local newspaper, it was a big local event that auction, with press coverage;)

Here it the article that you are talking about Sharon.

http://dailyitem.com/0100_news/x121747253/Auction-of-comic-books-nets-45G/

Just a quick note, the reporter had it wrong I was the losing bidder on the More Fun 101, not the guy from Mass.

I don't remember the Mass. guy, but I do remember the guy buying the books for ebay (still there a year later, go figure) the kid who was going after horror books and ECs specifically. He paid way over guide for his books. Could have gotten them on ebay cheaper, in about the same condition.

The one thing the auction from Pennsylvania had going for it was the 0% buyers premium, you just had to pay sales tax. I would be curious as to what the buyer's premium was on this auction.

I have been to a few auctions with comic books and only a few times did I get stuff at a good price, usually there are people there bidding things up. I was at one in May where a copy of Hulk #1 in 2.5 maybe 3.0 condition sold for $2,800.00 over the phone. So someone who only saw a picture of about ebay quality over paid for a book. He then has to pay sales tax and a buyer's premium, and possibly shipping. I just don't get it.

I was talking to a friend of the family today about the auction. He made an excellent suggestion.

Take a box of junk next time. Leave it in the trunk. When the auction is over, go up to the guy that is throwing away money and ask him, "I have some comics in my car. Would you like to take a look?"

I was talking to a friend of the family today about the auction. He made an excellent suggestion.

Take a box of junk next time. Leave it in the trunk. When the auction is over, go up to the guy that is throwing away money and ask him, "I have some comics in my car. Would you like to take a look?"

Not a bad idea hm

Not a bad idea hm

+1

Why was the 30 only a .5. I think it is worth more then 500 depending on what was wrong with it. The Action 2 went cheap and some of those detectives were still reasonable.

Nice to see old stuff like this pop up from nowhere....

You sure you didn't miss that Tec 27 :-D

Any more pictures

James G

They're having another one on October 1. There was a Betty & Veronica 1 in that box - but the cover was split and detached.

The guy also paid 3X VG Guide for a VG looking Terry Toons 38 (first Mighty Mouse). Apparently he didn't flip through it, because the Mighty Mouse story was cut out. That guy sucked all the money out of the room.

The Superman 32 in the picture in the story is in my box at home. Some of the coverless stuff was tremendous, BTW.