• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Went to an estate auction tonight in rural Indiana.

69 posts in this topic

Here are my notes:

Issue\Grade\MarketValue\Too Much Corn Whiskey on a Saturday Nite Price

DC

1 1.5 7000 18,000!!!

2 1.8 3500 3250

8 3.0 2500 2500

12 1.0 350 450

17 1.0 350 750

30 .5 500 1000

Action Comics

#2 2.0 6000 4850 (would have went higher if dancing partner hadn't tapped out at about $28K)

NY World's Fair 1940 2.0 400 900

Marvel Jr 1 5.0 ?? 700

2 Stacks of comics w/ 2 DC's pre-27, many batman's 1200 4600

One guy, not pictured, spent at least $28,000 on about 10,000 worth of comics.

I wanted to go higher on DC#2 but I knew the handsome man in the orange shirt would just continue to outbid me until he won it.

As my wife and I like to describe FWIN, it has its conveniences.

Haha.

I never visited him when he live there. He also used to live in Marion. I have been to Marion a couple times to see him.

The area he was in was nice.

Thanks for sharing the story. They may not be in the best condition but still an interesting find!

There were also Captain Marvel and Whiz that went 3x

Overall, there were a couple things that went Market Value.

About 90% sold at 3x MV.

The auctioneer has no idea how lucky he got tonite. If the two thrill-bid dancers hadn't shown up, prices would have been at a 20% discount

About 90% sold at 3x MV.

The auctioneer has no idea how lucky he got tonite. If the two thrill-bid dancers hadn't shown up, prices would have been at a 20% discount

I wish auctions like that would happen around me ... it sounded like fun.

Too bad the "thrill-bid dancers" showed up...

Here are my notes:

DC

1 1.5 7000 18,000!!!

2 1.8 3500 3250

8 3.0 2500 2500

12 1.0 350 450

17 1.0 350 750

30 .5 500 1000

Action Comics

#2 2.0 6000 4850 (would have went higher if dancing partner hadn't tapped out at about $28K)

NY World's Fair 1940 2.0 400 900

Marvel Jr 1 5.0 ?? 700

I wanted to go higher on DC#2 but I knew the handsome man in the orange shirt would just continue to outbid me until he won it.

Where did you get the grades from for the books above? Did you inspect the books in hand and give them these grades (I assume so, since I wouldn't think the auctioneer would have enough of a glue to give grades of 1.5 or 1.8, etc.). From the small pics provided, the Action 2 and Tec 1 look pretty nice for their assigned grades, so I take it that they have some hidden flaws &/or structural issues?

Here are my notes:

DC

1 1.5 7000 18,000!!!

Well, from the prices on these 2 pre-Batman Detective lots, it looks like the bidders would have donw much better at a Heritage or ComicConnect auction! :tonofbricks:

I am actually surprised that all of these lots appear to be going for market value and much much more in some of the cases. I thought you could go to some of these estate auctions and be able to pick up books at pennies on the dollar.

Well, I guess this must have only been back in the good old days! :cloud9:

About 90% sold at 3x MV.

Were there any copies of Whiz Comics #2 (#1)?

Do you know the final sales prices for the Fawcett books?

. . . From the small pics provided, the Action 2 and Tec 1 look pretty nice for their assigned grades, so I take it that they have some hidden flaws &/or structural issues?

I flipped thru them several times. The spines where split to the staple. In addition, the DC#! had a horizontal split at the staple on the back about 2" long. I have a DC#8 raw 3.0. That is about the grade of the DC#8 that sold in this auction $2500 -- that was MV. Out of the BIG 3, the Action #2 was the best. It had piece missing at the bottom spine, slight spine split. Pressed out, it may have graded higher. It was probably the most undervalued comic at the auction. I would have kept bidding -- but I saw the thrill-bid drunk look in the guy's eye in the orange shirt and I knew it wasn't worth continuing.

Well, from the prices on these 2 pre-Batman Detective lots, it looks like the bidders would have donw much better at a Heritage or ComicConnect auction! :tonofbricks:

The guy that bought the $4600 box of brittle tattered coverless comics told someone that there was a Detective Comics #27 in the box. It is going to be like driving past an accident on the highway to see the expression on his face when he finds out he got a coverless #teen-something and a pre-27 (Crimson Avenger issue) -- you don't want to look, but you can't help but look.

P.S. I thought this was a great read. I would have expected that for an auction of books like these in the middle of nowhere, that they'd go cheap, but it just shows that all it takes is two bidders that want a book(s) for them to sell for high prices. Thanks for sharing :)
I was thinking the same thing all the way home. If not for those two, this thread would be a much different story.

P.S. I thought this was a great read. I would have expected that for an auction of books like these in the middle of nowhere, that they'd go cheap, but it just shows that all it takes is two bidders that want a book(s) for them to sell for high prices. Thanks for sharing :)
I was thinking the same thing all the way home. If not for those two, this thread would be a much different story.

Sounds like two collectors trying to sell their collection at triple guide. Whenever they give the highest bid, the lot goes into the next auction. Shill bids are unfair but often happen.